Freedom Fries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
French fries are out, freedom fries are in
Associated Press

BEAUFORT, N.C. - You can get fries with your order at Cubbie's, but just don't ask for french fries.

"Because of Cubbie's support for our troops, we no longer serve french fries. We now serve freedom fries," says a sign in the restaurant's window.

Owner Neal Rowland said the switch from french fries to freedom fries came to mind after a conversation about World War I days when anti-German sentiment prompted Americans to rename familiar German foods like sauerkraut and frankfurter to liberty cabbage and hot dog.

Rowland said his decision to change the name of french fries reflects a political sentiment that comes as Americans watch France backs away from support for war in Iraq.

"Everyone wants to have their freedom fries. They're going right along with it," said waitress Amy Foster, who cleared tables after the first lunch crowd to hear about the menu revision.

But Rowland said his intent is not to slight the French people, but to take a patriotic stance to show his support for the United States and the actions of President Bush.

"It's our way of showing our patriotic pride," he said, noting that his business has a lot of local military troops stop by as customers. "A lot of them stop here on their way back to Cherry Point."

LOL...this isn't like Germany and World War I! France isn't our enemy, and France is not doing anything illegal. Rename your Iraqi food if you want, but this anti-French sentiment is stupid. Of course, that is often why there is a rift between the U.S. and France. They are two countries that are too similar: both stubborn and both think that their way of thinking is how the rest of the world should aspire to be.

Melon

LOL I saw this on Conan last night...and he renamed the French kiss to the "freedom kiss" and actor French Stewart to "Liberty" Stewart.

:huh: :lol: :eeklaugh:

Even renaming your Iraqi food would be loony...I thought we were supposed to be liberating Iraq, not removing every vestige of the innocent parts of its culture from our planet.

What a bunch of DUMB :censored:S!!!

doh.gif
Doh.gif
doh.gif

:wave:

if all of us think this is stupid, then why is this happening? i mean, we all come from different corners in life and yet unless i missed it, not one of us DOESNT think this is stupid.

there was some idiot on the radio yesterday talking about this. He also said that they were boycotting French imports like wine and cheese and organising "Bash a Peugeot" events where they beat the crap out of a 205 with American baseball bats

I have to say its one of the most stupid, ridiculous, xenophobic, petty and childish things I've ever heard. How dare the French have a reasonable, moderate policy on Iraq instead of going in all guns blazing?

Vive La France! Arr?te la guerre

Back
Top Bottom