Frats / Sororities - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2002, 10:46 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:22 PM

My roomie didn't get into her first choice! LMAO. I hate the bitch, so I'm rejoicing in her misery.

But to most people who don't get into their first choice.

Old 09-24-2002, 12:22 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:22 PM

Even though I already posted about how much I enjoyed being in a house I'd like to qualify my post. I made the best of the situation I was in. I took as many oppertunities as I was able to and a lot of the time I was rewarded by them.
I made some great friends through my house. Of course there were girls that I didn't like and even some I had problems with. But isn't any group the same way? Moreover, I still have a number of girl friends that were in other houses and friends that had nothing to do with the greek system at all.
The most rewarding relationship that came from my time in agd was the relationship with my younger sister. I really did cry when she accepted her bid. We became friends during our time in college, much more than just sisters.
I know many people have had a bad first impression of Fraterities and Sororities but it's out of line to judge so many people you know nothing about execpt for the fact that they wear letters. Just like any random group of people there are always going to be a few bad ones in the bunch. There was nothing that pissed me off more than when I was judged by my Greek status rather than who I really am. (and hey, I'm not trying to say I'm sweet as sugar but if someone is going to call me "shallow" or a "bitch" I would hope that they would be able to qualify their assesment of me with more than what house I was in)

Old 09-24-2002, 03:32 PM   #48
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
Thousands of dollars a year? Mine was about $50 a month.

They are not people whom I would otherwise never talk to either, as I went to a small college and made contact at some point or another with most of the students.

My "real" friends include several friends I have known my entire life, several friends who were in my college fraternity, several friends from college who were in OTHER fraternities and sororities, several friends from college who were not in any fraternity or sorority, and several current neighbors and other friends whom I have met since college.

Dano, you always seem to have a combination of hatred, disdain and prejudice towards select "groups" of people and you like to broadcast it. Why is that?

~U2Alabama
I think anyone would agree that $50 per month is very low for dues. You have experienced a different form of fraternity life than most are familiar with.

My experience with sororities can be backed up with my sister. She pays much more than $50 per month and like with any organization she's almost required to put addition money into funds that aid the house and national organization. I'd like to know what sorority you belong to?

As for your final line in the email I quoted above: I think the only time I've inflicted hatred when it can be backed up by facts. If a person or group gives me reason to feel hatred I won't hide that feeling because someone like you is sensitive to certain words of disdain.

As for prejudice toward groups: I could legitimize feelings of neutrality all day long. I could feel no animosity toward anything at all if I tried hard enough to quell my opinions. I don't do this, and that's why I sometimes have to speak in generalities to make a point. While there are many. MANY admirable frats and Sororities, the majority and the most popular are caldrons of rich, privileged, upper-middle class net workers, who are lacking in the human spirit. They are taught the capitalist system of "money talks and independents walk", that you are NOBODY unless you belong to their group, or that you're slightly less important if you belong to a different house. If they're going to have prejudice toward the rest of the world, I can definitely form a case exposing their faults and superficial tendencies.
Old 09-24-2002, 04:34 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:22 PM
I agree that the dues are just the beginning, especially in a sorority. When I was considering joining, as I said, I went to a lot of their functions. Wardrobe was of the utmost importance and my friends spent a lot of money on their "sorority" clothes. I must honestly say that the money was one of the many reasons that I didn't join. Hanging out with my friend Denise, I could easily see that it wasn't cheap for her to be in the sorority. On top of wardrobe (which does matter because certain events had dress codes), she spent money on dues and countless other miscellaneous things, such as official jewelry she was required to wear, different shirts required to be worn by pledges every Wednesday, and presents she had to buy for "big sis, lil sis," etc. I know they say not to spend it if you don't have it, but that was pretty much unheard of. I would have had to spend several hundred dollars just to bring my wardrobe up to "code." Again, I add the disclaimer that this was my experience, and I understand that all sororities may not be this way.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:03 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I usually wore t-shirts & blue jeans, maybe khakis and a polo shirt if we had a "date party."

Danospano - would you agree that some generalizations are "offensive," yet others seem to be cool, and often even encouraged?

~U2Alabama
Old 09-25-2002, 09:02 PM   #51
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
I usually wore t-shirts & blue jeans, maybe khakis and a polo shirt if we had a "date party."

Danospano - would you agree that some generalizations are "offensive," yet others seem to be cool, and often even encouraged?

~U2Alabama
Yes, yes I would. I'm guessing you were offended? Why? Oh, because it's something about YOU personally. Ahh, so if I had made a remark about non-Greeks, you wouldn't have found it offensive? Don't bother answering that, I know what you're going to say..."No not me...blah blah blah".

Lesson of the day: In theory everything is potentially offensive to someone on the planet, so deal with it.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:26 PM   #52
Refugee

I am a Sigma Chi.

Check out these links!

http://www.sigmachi.org/discover/topten/rsn10.09.html

http://www.sigmachi.org/resource_ass...ment%20AD2.swf

Mark
Old 09-25-2002, 10:14 PM   #53
War Child

Local Time: 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
I am a Sigma Chi.

Check out these links!

http://www.sigmachi.org/discover/topten/rsn10.09.html

http://www.sigmachi.org/resource_ass...ment%20AD2.swf

Mark
Mark,

I had the pleasure of meeting a Sigma Chi Brother by the name of Ed King. You might have heard of him. He does a wonderful program on ritual.

Wonderful organization.

Bama...SAE huh? You guys have one hell of a HQ building. One of these days I'm going to get myself to Evensville to see it in person.

I've been defending greek life for years. Some people would rather hide behind stereotypes than actually take the chance to see how things really are. And that goes for a lot more than the greek system.
Old 09-26-2002, 12:13 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Danospano:

You do not know me well enough to put words in my mouth or know what I was going to say, but here it is: You did not offend me; I laugh at a lot of what you say as it is often entertaining.

PopkidU2:

I have not visited Evansville myself, but I have visited the SAE House at the Mother Mu chapter, the founding chapter at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. In fact, I drove right by it on my way to and from the football game Saturday. My chapter is finishing up on a new house which is to be dedicated within a few weeks. Ours was an old Brady Bunch era house that should have been condemned long ago.

~U2Alabama
Old 09-26-2002, 12:17 AM   #55
Acrobat

Ive never wanted to pay money to have friends and a social hierarchy. That's just my opinion though. They do look like they could be a LOT of fun