Frats / Sororities - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2002, 05:32 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:33 PM
Re: Re: Re: <--these kinds of girls...and iris

Quote:
Originally posted by popkidu2

Thanks Bama. You said it well.

BTW, if you don't mind saying, what fraternity do you belong to?
Sigma Alpha Epsilon.

I agree that many general oservations can be made when you look at a fraternity or sorority as a group; the members of such organizations often have common interests. The same thing could be said of any organized group, and quite often such observations can be deemed "offensive" by that group.

~U2Alabama

Old 09-22-2002, 06:09 PM   #32
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:33 PM

I've told these stories before, but I think they are worth repeating because there are so many stereotypes.

I go to community college now, but my first semester of post-secondary school was at a university (I transferred to save money). My first night there, I went to a frat party at Tau Kappa Epsilon. I didn't know anybody yet, and I found myself off in the corner, feeling like a dork...at one point, I felt so awkward that I used my cell to call home because I missed my parents so much (as people were dancing around me and spilling beer on me). However, one of the Tekes came up to me and introduced himself...and brought me around to introduce me to his brothers. We did a lot of dancing and a lot of drinking...I started having a blast and really getting to know people. However, my roommate had lost her key in her drunken state and wanted to go back to our room, so he walked us back to our room so we didn't have to cross campus alone. After getting back my dorm, I realized I didn't want to stay in, so we left for the frat house again, but campus police had broken it up. We got a ride with one of his friends to a party off-campus. We spent some time there, but then we had no ride back...so we had to walk across town at 3:30 in the morning to get back to campus. Upon our arrival, I realized my key was gone...I couldn't get into the building even, let alone my dorm room. I found out later that my roommate had stolen it, since she lost hers. I started to cry...my first night away from home, and I didn't have anywhere to stay. So he invited me to sleep in his dorm room.

So..........a frat guy has a drunken, confused, freshman girl back in his dorm....what does he do??

He gets me a pillow, situates me on the couch and sits by me until I calm down. Then he goes into his bedroom and closes the door.

He didn't try a damn thing with me. He took care of me that night...and he was my friend for the rest of the semester. The entire fraternity became my friend. At parties, they watched out for me...if other guys were doing shit they shouldn't be doing, the Tekes were there for me. Sure, I drank with them and danced with them...but they took care of me like a little sister and helped me make lots of friends on campus. I'll never forget those guys.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 09-22-2002, 06:29 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:33 PM

HEY. BC -- where is the "one time"???

Old 09-22-2002, 06:33 PM   #34
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
HEY. BC -- where is the "one time"???

Have I lost my touch?!?!??!?!??!

Mayhaps I can redeem myself...

*"One time" quickie*

One time, my friend was dancing on the mantle at a frat party, and she fell off and landed on me. It really sucked because I spilled my beer.

Old 09-22-2002, 08:34 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:33 PM
When I first entered college I had the idea that students who pledged sororities and fraternities would be the last people on earth I would want to have anything to do with. I had the idea they were snotty, shallow people who didn't think about anything but partying. The summer between my freshmen and sophomore years I rented a room in a sorority house because I had a summer job on campus and I needed somewhere to stay because the dorms were closed. There were only a few girls staying there at that time because just about all of them were home for the summer. I thought the sorority girls who were there for the summer were kind of airheaded, but to be fair they were pretty nice to me. Then when I was a junior I became friends with this guy in one of my classes. He was super-nice and very smart. I was totally shocked when I found out he belonged to a fraternity because he didn't seem the type at all.

Yep, I guess we are all guilty of stereotyping at one time or another.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:30 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Cool stories

Inductions this Thursday

O_O DOES ANYONE HAVE $60 FOR ME??????

Old 09-22-2002, 09:59 PM   #37
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MonaVox
Cool stories

Inductions this Thursday

O_O DOES ANYONE HAVE $60 FOR ME??????

What's in it for me?

Old 09-22-2002, 10:28 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

What's in it for me?
When I'm a rockstar--

whoa your avatar threw me off , I didn't recognize you o_O

um When I'm a rockstar I will thank you in my Grammy speech.

And send you free Tshirts
Old 09-22-2002, 10:55 PM   #39
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MonaVox

When I'm a rockstar--

whoa your avatar threw me off , I didn't recognize you o_O

um When I'm a rockstar I will thank you in my Grammy speech.

And send you free Tshirts
I used to use this avatar in the chat room I first met John at. (I'll probably change it back in a few days though...just wanted something different)!

Anyway.....

Well, I'm sold! I'm short on cash though....do you accept partial donations?

Old 09-22-2002, 11:54 PM   #40
Refugee

How much do I hate the Greek system? THIS <-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------MUCH>!!!!

Sure, they're good for networking, but at what price? You pay thousands of dollars a year to make "connections" with people that would otherwise never talk to you.

I always ask Greeks who their "real" friends are. They will say their brothers at the house, and I ask how many close friends they have outside of the Greek system and the answer is almost always next to nil. This is a generalization, but it's more true than not.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:55 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:33 PM

Thousands of dollars a year? Mine was about $50 a month.

They are not people whom I would otherwise never talk to either, as I went to a small college and made contact at some point or another with most of the students.

My "real" friends include several friends I have known my entire life, several friends who were in my college fraternity, several friends from college who were in OTHER fraternities and sororities, several friends from college who were not in any fraternity or sorority, and several current neighbors and other friends whom I have met since college.

Dano, you always seem to have a combination of hatred, disdain and prejudice towards select "groups" of people and you like to broadcast it. Why is that?

~U2Alabama
Old 09-23-2002, 01:58 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Re: Re: Re: Re: <--these kinds of girls...and iris

Since Shannon kindly included my name in her subject line, I would like to clear something up. I am not against the Greek system at all. I would have rushed at my college, but I did not care for the sororities at my school. It was a little too southern bellish.
I will say that my friends and family have benefited greatly by joining fraternities and sororities. They have made life long friendships that are sincere. I say give it a shot.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:02 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:33 PM

I don't know much about sororities in other countries, but some of the Dutch sororities are filled with the sickest of people.
Only a few weeks ago, members of one of the biggest sororities at my university were denied entrance to lectures and their sorority's susidies (sp?) worth almost 60.000,- were withdrawn for bad behaviour (and that's putting it mildly).

They were caugh physically and verbally abusing new members (they had to lick their shoes, were told to stand up straight for hours and had poo put in their hair).

I hope they'll be expelled for life.

Old 09-23-2002, 05:03 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
They were caugh physically and verbally abusing new members (they had to lick their shoes, were told to stand up straight for hours and had poo put in their hair).
Eww! Yeah, there have been some hazing incidents at my school for the past couple years: three years ago one frat shot a pledge with a BB gun in a certain, uh, sensistive area. Some pledges also got bleach dumped on them, and it caused burns.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:13 PM   #45
War Child

Geez, y'all. Way to make assumptions about all Greeks. Yes, in some places hazing happens, but in others it's a really great way to meet people, get involved in the community and have some fun. Go ahead, ask me how many friends I still have from my sorority... Only a couple. So, somehow I managed a normal social function and came away with tons of friends, the bulk of which were in ANOTHER sorority! Call the Greek Police! One made it out! Quel Horror!

What I'm saying, very sarcastically, is that the Greek system may not be perfect can be a great thing. So stop making people feel bad for wanting to try something new.