Franz Ferdinand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
Heard of these guys? They're Scottish, I think. And they're quite good....kind of like the Strokes, only more dancey. And indie rock.

And yes, they ARE named for the Austro-Hungarian Archduke whose death started WWI.

I have heard SOOOOO much hype about them. I LOVE the Strokes, and I love indie-dancy music. Truly, is the hype warranted? Or is it alot of the melodramatic Brit press on this one? I really do want to check them out, though.

I only really know 'Take Me Out'

very catchy song!!! :) Will be seeing them at Reading festival in the summer :hyper:

def check 'em out if they sound interesting. That album was in high rotation for me for a long time. Huuugely catchy. I'm not sure if it has too much staying power.. but even if it doesn't it rocks hard and is worth the investment.

I seem to recall yertle the turtle giving them a :up: a few weeks ago too. They are playing one of their tracks ( film clip) on RAGE tomorrow morning so I'll check it out. They are rumoured to be playing at a 2 day concert( Splendour) in Australia this winter.
Scotland sure has produced some great musicians over the years...speaking of which, we just had the 100th Easter Highland Gathering here near where I live...and I missed it:sad:

ahhh well..here's to the 101st gathering:)

PS: if any Aussie's read this...before tomorrow
11:00am
The Hype - THE HAMPDENS Sony
Somewhere Down The Barrel - THE DISSOCIATIVES Virgin
Take Me Out - FRANZ FERDINAND Sony
They are the last song on RAGE, which usually suggests the hottest song of the week in Oz.

Last edited:
DiGi said:
funny. my brother asked me about them last night and literally 30 seconds ago I emailed Jenn to ask if she knew anything about them...odd
I emailed you back. :)

I always wonder if groups named after historical figures, etc purposely use that name as some symbolic gesture, or just think it's a fun name... :shrug:

they have a session on KCRW morning becomes eclectic too...just saw that in joyfulgirl's link to the damien session.

they have some catchy stuff....real stroke-ish as others pointed out....I've decided I like Idlewild better between the two Scottish bands - Idlewild :drool:

:heart: idlewild :heart:

i keep hearing maroon 5 and thinking it's these guys. i don't know why. that maroon 5 song is dreadful.

i was kidding, cujo said spanish bombs...i figured people would appreciate a (albeit probably incorrectly spelled) clash joke.

:|

So how's the album? I still have only heard 'Take Me Out'. I didnt like it at first, but I've warmed up to it lately.

What other songs should I check out?

My review... don't give star ratings :D

Franz Ferdinand
Sony

The pre-release buzz from this Scottish (skittish?) Art school quartet blew like a mighty wind through the music press at the dawn of 2004. It was a canny decision to say the least to release the album at that time, since the utter lack of any other new bands to write about gave Franz the lion?s share of attention for several months. After a bit of a delay the album was released in Australia and, helped by plenty of radio and shop front play for undeniably infectious lead single Take Me Out, it debuted in the top 15 on the charts. The question though is whether it was worth all the fuss. The best and most obvious thing about Franz Ferdinand is probably what most excited the critics. Namely it takes the angular guitar play, danceable beats and hipster appeal of the Strokes and pushes it all a little bit further, adding a few more post-punk touches along the way. The tempo changes, homo-eroticism and faux German lyrics that creep in from time to time only add to the veneer of Arty ?new? new wave coolness. The songs themselves don?t always live up to the billing, but at least half the time (The Dark Of The Matinee, Auf Achse, Jacqueline, Darts Of Pleasure) they do, which is more than acceptable providing Franz Ferdinand continues to develop. Of course if the group simply hones its current sound the hype will move on to someone else, as the Strokes themselves discovered last year.

man...I've been listening to this non stop at work....at least as good as the shins!
puts me in such a good mood

THIS FIRE IS OUT OF CONTROL
WE GOTTA BURN THIS CITY!

Thanks for the review, brettig. I like "Take Me Out." I'm definitely going to get better acquainted with the other songs everyone recommended.

And comparing them to The Shins? Mofo is gonna be intrigued, to say the least.

I think they can be compared to the Shins

a more rocking, ethnic sounding shins

Back
Top Bottom