Fragrance-Enhanced Films Debut In Japan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yolland

Forum Moderator
Fragrant films heaven-scent opportunity for Japanese cinemas

AFP, Mon Apr 17, 2006

Movie fans bored with hi-tech sound effects and graphics will soon be able to experience cinematic smells after a Japanese film distributor announced it is showing the world's first fragrant films.

Shochiku Co. said it would release The New World, a historical drama starring Colin Farrell about the colonisation of New England, at two cinemas on Saturday with the newly developed computerised fragrance system.

The system has been developed by NTT Communications, part of telecom giant NTT. It will offer six kinds of aroma depending upon the scenes being shown. Last year, several cinemas in Japan produced the smell of chocolate for Tim Burton's version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Naoko Yoshida, a spokeswoman for Shochiku, said: "This is the world's first trial to offer various kinds of scene-matching fragrances, which will make viewers feel as if they are really in a forest, for example, with the smell of the woods."

The six smells, which include forests and citrus, are released under cinemagoers' seats. Tokyo's Salonpas Louvre Marunouchi, one of the two cinemas fitted with the system, will offer 33 "aroma premier seats" at 1,800 yen (15 dollars) each, the same price as other seats.

"Tickets for seats on the first day are selling well," said Kenjiro Beppu, a spokesman for the 470-seat cinema. "We hope our viewers will enjoy not only the great scenes, but hear and smell the movie."

Shochiku will decide whether to continue the fragrance service after judging customer reactions. A second cinema in Osaka will also offer the service.

:lmao: I wonder how this will really do, if it becomes really popular? My sister and I often joke about smellivision or smelliphones......maybe we are getting close to those inventions! :wink:

This isn't really the world's first cinematic smell though is it?

I seem to recall seeing John Waters' "Polyester" complete with scratch and sniff card.

But imagine seeing something like Babette's Feast or Eat Drink Man Woman... :drool:

Back
Top Bottom