Found a small baby bird....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallingStar

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
OR
How I got Adam

So, yesterday me and my mom were going for a walk with my dog when we saw a small, skinny bird lying on the sidewalk with ants running over it already and it was bleeding and so my mom went on, because there are a lot of those poor dead birds lying around, especially after such a big thunderstorm we had recently. But I stood there and watched it closely, because I thought it had moved a bit. And it moved again after a while! It was still alive but it had to realize ants eating it slowly! :( That has to be a terrible death....
Ummm, however I took it home and fed it with food for pet fish :D and we weren't sure if it would live till tomorrow - it was so boney already and seemed to have a cold.....
But today when getting up an hour earlier for seeing if it still lived, I picked the sheet from over its shoe box - and it looked up with its brown eyes......*sigh* I was so happy! BTW: He has such a cute beak that reminded me on Adam's mouth! :happy: The beak was still all soft when we found the bird and it had those-----waves in it that looked like :adam: 's wrinkles around his mouth!
:D Just wanted to tell this somebody, because Adam eats more and more at every meal and seems to be healthier already. And he starts getting feathers already! :happy:

That's so cute! Good luck to little Adam!

I didnt know birds ate fish food! When I first read that you gave him fish food, I thought it read that you fed him your pet fish! Me bad! lol

Thats really sweet. I have tried to save lots of birds when my wicked cat half kills them.
Hope Adam gets better soon.

And I've forgotten one thing: My dog is so jelaous of Adam. :lol: Every time I feed him, my dog springs up and down and tries to get my atention. :lol:

Yes, to the picture. I have taken already a photo with an electronic camera, but I don't know if it will appear here when I don't have such a------thing like 'Snapfish'....I'd have to put it from that computer on the net. I'd really like to show the pictures to you, but how do I get them on Interfernce without an internet address? :confused:

well if the photos are small enough, you can just upload them directly here using the "attach file" thing at the end of the post.

Ah, I see Sula.
I hope this will work - the picture is a bit blurry, but you get an idea of what he looks like. :)
And don't be scared by his look - he's a bit creepy with no feathers on his back. :lol:

Attachments

• adam5.jpg
    adam5.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 54
Another one of Adam, if you want to see it.
I still don't know what kind of bird he will be when being grown up...... :scratch:

Attachments

• adam4.jpg
    adam4.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 32
He's precious! Good for you for saving his little life. He's got some kinda crazy Einstein thing going on with his hair- made me laugh.

YOU'RE MY HERO!!!!!!!!

I LOOOOVE ANIMALS!!

This really is an amazing story...almost makes me cry.

I mean, people like you give me hope that the human race is not a lost cause. People that care so much for the world and life around them that they would go out of their way to save a bird on the street.

You are my hero!! ;)

By thew ay, I suggest finding out from a profession of some sort what to feed the little guy!
get bird feed or feed him bugs and worms. I don't have a good feeling about the fish feed!! :)

hey FallingStar, that's wonderful that you picked him up like that!
I are you still feeding him fish food though? If you are, I would advise that you look into what he really needs because their diet is very specific when they are that little and they are very fragile.

I work at a wildlife center where we feed baby birds like that so I know a little bit about it, but unfortunately I don't know the mixture that we feed them other than that it is called songbird diet. He needs to be fed every hour though, and you also need to be very careful not to over-feed him because it kills them. There's a bulge of skin in his neck that will not go down when he's full, that's called his crop. It's really thin skin so you can see the food in it, and when that's showing you should stop feeding him.
Also, make sure he stays really clean, especially the corners of his beak, because when they get dirty, he gets bacteria which could also kill him. To open the beak (should you have to) don't open it from the front because that bends it; their beaks are really soft at this age. Grab it from the side to force it open. and a syringe may be helpful in feeding him so you can get the food further down in his throat (in the wild, their moms practically stick their head down the baby's throat--don't jam it though, he'll make sure it's pretty far down himself!
Well that's all I can really tell you, but I would seriously advise you to find the correct diet he needs, maybe you can online or maybe you have a wildlife center near you that you could call. I could tell you next tuesday but by then it may be too late. If you still havent found out by then though, and he's alive, send me a PM and I'll try and get it for you.

there's one other thing you might want to think about too, btw. I'm horrible at telling types of birds, but that guy looks like he may be a starling, which is a black bird. I'm not so sure he'll make that great a pet (although I don't know for sure, so find out from someone who really knows!) so if you plan on releasing him into the wild, you have to make sure you don't get him used to human contact. If they are too domesticated, they won't make it in the wild. He can be let go when he can fly.

Well, good luck, I hope that helps a bit. Enjoy the experience, it's really rewarding to see these little guys grow up when you know they would have died before you came along! :)

awww.....he's TOO CUTE!!!

thanks for picking him up! it really took a big heart.....thanks for making my day more hopeful too!

That is a really lovely story! Good on you for doing that!!!!!!
Its truly amazing too that he seems to be doing well. You'd think he would die of shock or something. He must be a real little fighter :):)

BabyG that is great advice!!!!!

I love these kind of threads heheh

/end gushing

Thank you!

Hey thank you for all the advice BabyGrace! They're really helpful. :yes: I already bought real bird food - no worry guys lol - in a pet shop and it is extra for young birds, so this won't kill him. He put weight on already and his feathers come out even more. :happy: Oh yes, and I kept him clean all day and night, but I'll clean the corners of the beak extra when I feed him again.
Feeding him only every hour? I fed him every half an hour a bit, but if you say that this is not good then I'll stop that. It is just that he starts peeping after half an hour and he demands his food then......I'll see.
Mmmh, a starling........could be right, but I really don't know it. :)
And I don't want to keep it as a pet of course. When he is big enough to fly we'll bring him to this bird-savety-station (or however it might be called) and either they make him fly or he learns it here at home somehow.

And Basstrap: :eek:

And thank you all for telling how cute he is - I'll tell him; he likes those compliments but mostly he naps over when I speak with him too much. :lol:

Peaseblossom said:
He's got some kinda crazy Einstein thing going on with his hair- made me laugh.

You know what i thought when i saw the second pic (AWWWW) with the hair?
It, um, reminded me of Adam's mohawk during Zoo tv tour!

Seriously!!!

:laugh:

Yes, i was gonna ask too: what do you feed a bird with? But i see you already got some bird food. :)

BabyGrace said:
so if you plan on releasing him into the wild, you have to make sure you don't get him used to human contact. If they are too domesticated, they won't make it in the wild. He can be let go when he can fly.

Oh, I wanted to ask you something BabyGrace: What do you understand under too much human contact? Occasionaly I take him out of his box, when putting new sheets in the box or when looking if he has food on his head....what is too much human contact?

@U2girl: Adam's mohawk! :laugh: That's cool! Y'see: I named him right! :lol:
Yes, I got already real food for him- thank you for caring. :)

Einstein thing.......*still :laugh*ing about that one*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom