Found a small baby bird.... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2002, 02:57 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:53 AM
glad to hear he is doing good.

Old 07-11-2002, 03:17 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:53 PM
Another one of Adam, if you want to see it.
I still don't know what kind of bird he will be when being grown up......
Attached Thumbnails
adam4.jpg  

Old 07-11-2002, 03:30 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Aww.. hehe
Old 07-11-2002, 03:59 PM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 12:53 PM
He's precious! Good for you for saving his little life. He's got some kinda crazy Einstein thing going on with his hair- made me laugh.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:31 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:23 AM
YOU'RE MY HERO!!!!!!!!

I LOOOOVE ANIMALS!!

This really is an amazing story...almost makes me cry.

I mean, people like you give me hope that the human race is not a lost cause. People that care so much for the world and life around them that they would go out of their way to save a bird on the street.

You are my hero!!

By thew ay, I suggest finding out from a profession of some sort what to feed the little guy!
get bird feed or feed him bugs and worms. I don't have a good feeling about the fish feed!!
Old 07-11-2002, 06:34 PM   #21
Refugee

hey FallingStar, that's wonderful that you picked him up like that!
I are you still feeding him fish food though? If you are, I would advise that you look into what he really needs because their diet is very specific when they are that little and they are very fragile.

I work at a wildlife center where we feed baby birds like that so I know a little bit about it, but unfortunately I don't know the mixture that we feed them other than that it is called songbird diet. He needs to be fed every hour though, and you also need to be very careful not to over-feed him because it kills them. There's a bulge of skin in his neck that will not go down when he's full, that's called his crop. It's really thin skin so you can see the food in it, and when that's showing you should stop feeding him.
Also, make sure he stays really clean, especially the corners of his beak, because when they get dirty, he gets bacteria which could also kill him. To open the beak (should you have to) don't open it from the front because that bends it; their beaks are really soft at this age. Grab it from the side to force it open. and a syringe may be helpful in feeding him so you can get the food further down in his throat (in the wild, their moms practically stick their head down the baby's throat--don't jam it though, he'll make sure it's pretty far down himself!
Well that's all I can really tell you, but I would seriously advise you to find the correct diet he needs, maybe you can online or maybe you have a wildlife center near you that you could call. I could tell you next tuesday but by then it may be too late. If you still havent found out by then though, and he's alive, send me a PM and I'll try and get it for you.

there's one other thing you might want to think about too, btw. I'm horrible at telling types of birds, but that guy looks like he may be a starling, which is a black bird. I'm not so sure he'll make that great a pet (although I don't know for sure, so find out from someone who really knows!) so if you plan on releasing him into the wild, you have to make sure you don't get him used to human contact. If they are too domesticated, they won't make it in the wild. He can be let go when he can fly.

Well, good luck, I hope that helps a bit. Enjoy the experience, it's really rewarding to see these little guys grow up when you know they would have died before you came along!
Old 07-12-2002, 02:03 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

awww.....he's TOO CUTE!!!

thanks for picking him up! it really took a big heart.....thanks for making my day more hopeful too!
Old 07-12-2002, 04:51 AM   #23
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:53 PM

That is a really lovely story! Good on you for doing that!!!!!!
Its truly amazing too that he seems to be doing well. You'd think he would die of shock or something. He must be a real little fighter

BabyG that is great advice!!!!!

I love these kind of threads heheh

/end gushing
Old 07-12-2002, 12:38 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Thank you!

Hey thank you for all the advice BabyGrace! They're really helpful. I already bought real bird food - no worry guys lol - in a pet shop and it is extra for young birds, so this won't kill him. He put weight on already and his feathers come out even more. Oh yes, and I kept him clean all day and night, but I'll clean the corners of the beak extra when I feed him again.
Feeding him only every hour? I fed him every half an hour a bit, but if you say that this is not good then I'll stop that. It is just that he starts peeping after half an hour and he demands his food then......I'll see.
Mmmh, a starling........could be right, but I really don't know it.
And I don't want to keep it as a pet of course. When he is big enough to fly we'll bring him to this bird-savety-station (or however it might be called) and either they make him fly or he learns it here at home somehow.

And Basstrap:

And thank you all for telling how cute he is - I'll tell him; he likes those compliments but mostly he naps over when I speak with him too much.
Old 07-12-2002, 01:38 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Peaseblossom
He's got some kinda crazy Einstein thing going on with his hair- made me laugh.
You know what i thought when i saw the second pic (AWWWW) with the hair?
It, um, reminded me of Adam's mohawk during Zoo tv tour!

Seriously!!!

Yes, i was gonna ask too: what do you feed a bird with? But i see you already got some bird food.
Old 07-12-2002, 01:59 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by BabyGrace
so if you plan on releasing him into the wild, you have to make sure you don't get him used to human contact. If they are too domesticated, they won't make it in the wild. He can be let go when he can fly.
Oh, I wanted to ask you something BabyGrace: What do you understand under too much human contact? Occasionaly I take him out of his box, when putting new sheets in the box or when looking if he has food on his head....what is too much human contact?

@U2girl: Adam's mohawk! That's cool! Y'see: I named him right!
Yes, I got already real food for him- thank you for caring.

Einstein thing.......*still :laugh*ing about that one*