Fossils

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Yay, today I found a fossil it was a turtle bone from the lower cretaceous so yay me. I also got myself sunburnt across my damn arms but still 100 million year old bone from a turtle that died and wound up in a silty river bed :D

Anybody else got some fossil stories or what not?

Congratulations!

I have tonnes of them from when I was a child living in the desert. My family are all metallurgists and we used to all pile into the canvas backed Landrover and go on lapidary expiditions. After some time I was able to tell the difference between kangaroo poo and iron ore......are you still with me Wanderer? ....... as I was saying... The Nullarbor has eroded all the way back down to revel its original function as the seabed. There are many aquatic fossils to..... Wanderer? are you there, mate? ....... mate? mate?

No photo's yet, volunteered a weeks worth of digging in febuary so I will have a whole bunch then.

Where are you digging in February ie the hottest month of the year? Hopefully your staying in the southern part of Vic? Or have you just returned from the recent Eureka anniversary thingie?

Stickin down south just the basic annual one out at inverloch, fancy having Terry Hicks at Eureka (I wasn't there) but what a waste of taxpayer money.

I was going to impress you with a photo of one of my ancestors, son of two convicts, who went East to Vic for the gold rush. Fantastic photo it is, taken later of course, with my George in his big stetson (or whatever their called) hat, britches, suspenders, and boots but such is the crappiness of my day I cannot currently locate it.

The photo that is. I can locate the crappiness of my day. :sigh:

Inverloch should be fun. Take lots of 15+ and a long sleeved shirt though.

Are you going to Inverloch as part of a group? Part of a course? Just for fun?

Actually if you are genetically Mediterranean you may not have such an issue with the sun. Its more of a prob for us "blessed' with Angle/Saxon/Jute/Gallic skin :sigh:

I'm one of those rare Mediterranean WHITE skins = lobster in the summer. It's such a curse.

A_Wanderer said:
Volunteer for it via the course, I am anglo, well mostly just bog Irish so to speak.

I have total bog irish skin.

I have a friend who was born and lived in South Africa/ Middle East until he was about 12 or 13. He gets fabulous tans. In the summer while I have all my sun creams on and sit under large umbrellas I still managed to get burnt. I get burnt very easily and my skin looks pink but it feels like it's on fire. Then it starts peeling. Then I go back to looking really pasty. My brother got loads of stick at school for looking like Casper and I was known as Caspers sister. har har. :|

Lara Mullen said:
My brother got loads of stick at school for looking like Casper and I was known as Caspers sister. har har. :|

The children at your school were creative. I was called "ghost" ..... at every school I ever attended :sigh:

But fossils, they dont get sunburnt :hyper:

Edited: cause I spelt "school" incorrectly :huh:

Last edited:
my dad has a fossil. for his birthday one year, my mom got him an old bullet from the civil war. he's a huge civil war buff. he's also got umm...something dinosaur related. i'm thinking he's got a claw, but maybe i've seen jurassic park too many times!

This is something that I hope genetic engineering will resolve. Not so much the pasty white issue but the ability to go out in the sun and not burn.

Yes, Im talking about equal beach rights for all :hyper:

Now, back to fossils. What are those spiral shell ones called? We had a lot of those growing up.

I've never left Ireland/ Uk so I don't know how I would cope in a place that actually has proper summers.

I once found a dead cat in a peat bog. I heard Otzi the Iceman is coming to the Netherlands so I was hoping to catch a glimpse. Not many fossils in the country unfortunately.

DrTeeth said:
I heard Otzi the Iceman is coming to the Netherlands so I was hoping to catch a glimpse. Not many fossils in the country unfortunately.

Otzi is touring? :eyebrow:

Please take a photo of yourself standing next to Otzi and post it :hyper:

i found a fossil this morning when i peered into the mirror and saw my reflection staring back at me:angry:

I don't think I have any fossils, but I do have a weird tool my grandpa found that was clearly used by a human.

It's this barrel-like rock, with a perfect, smooth groove running around the middle of it right where you would put your fingers. The bottom is fairly worn, like it was used to pound something down.

Our theory was always that it was Native American in origin, and that seems likely given that we found it here in Colorado. But what's odd is that our local museum has a replica of a stone just like it in their "early man" display. :huh:

I have always meant to take it to the museum, but everyone has always said they'll take it and never give it the time of day.

The sun and I have an arrangement which is that I will get burnt at the start of summer (southern hemisphere people!) but I have a quasi tan by January.

Back
Top Bottom