Fossilised South African shark teeth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GibsonGirl

ONE love, blood, life
Before I even get into this thread, I'd like to point out to any mods that I'm well aware advertising is forbidden at Interference. This isn't really an advertisement anyway. More sort of a general inquiry.

My grandmother is currently visiting us from South Africa. She brought with her some necklaces that my great aunt made. I was stunned by the quality, and asked why she wasn't selling them. Apparently, she would like to sell them, but hasn't made a final decision yet. I think these necklaces could go over well with people living in North America and Europe, simply because they're so unique. I'd love to find out whether or not there would be any demand for them, and hopefully persuade my aunt to start up a business.

A little background information on the necklaces: they are completely fossilised shark teeth, found along the beaches of Cape Town, South Africa. We're unsure exactly how old they are, but know that they're definitely a few million years old, dating back to approximately the middle / late Pliocene, perhaps even the Miocene. I'm fairly certain that they are ancestors of the Great Whites, as they lack the heavy duty serration that is common to present day Carcharodon carcharias. Here is an article on Great White evolutionhttp://www.fossilguy.com/topics/megshark/megshark.htm with some pictures for comparison, if anyone is interested. My aunt collects them from a recently discovered site lying between Milnerton and Bloubergstrand, and polishes them with a professional kit. They are all completely unique, varying in size and colour. Some of the ones she finds are absolutely HUGE. She has even found a few Megalodon teeth. Those are about the size of your hand, if not larger. The ones she uses for necklaces are much smaller, ranging between about 4cm to 5cm in height. After they're polished down, she mounts them to a necklace.

Here are some pictures of the teeth and necklaces she sent us:

IMG_0931-1.jpg

Me wearing one of the necklaces.

IMG_0934-1.jpg

You can't really see the serration here. So...

IMG_0947-1.jpg

...A close up of the very slight serration along the side of the teeth.

IMG_0936-1.jpg

Comparison of sizes. These have yet to be turned into necklaces.

IMG_0939-2.jpg

Here you can see the detail of the fossilisation.

IMG_0940-1.jpg

The same one I'm wearing in the first picture. I love the colour!

peninsula.gif

Map of the area (extreme north) in which they are located.

So please, let me know if you would be interested in buying these if you saw them on an online shop. Absolutely no obligation or anything, I just want to find out if there would be any demand for them. I'd really love to help my aunt out with this! I think she has done a brilliant job with them and that she could be successful if she did decide to go into business with these. I repeat, they are extremely unique. It's not every day you find a million year old shark tooth! You'd be wearing a piece of evolutionary history...

:up: I had no idea they'd be so huge!
I have a shark tooth necklace, but the tooth is barely bigger than my nail.
I like it.

I think she might be surprised because it could be successful if people know their out there. There will always be fascination not only with history but with sharks as well. It wouldn't hurt to try at least. :)

I'd buy one...if I had the money. Shark teeth are one of the beautiful creations in nature. Who would believe such a vehicle of death could be so eloquent and majestic?

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback, everyone! I really appreciate it.

PlaTheGreat said:
:up: I had no idea they'd be so huge!
I have a shark tooth necklace, but the tooth is barely bigger than my nail.
I like it.

Check out how big this one is!

IMG_10252.jpg

My aunt didn't have a chance to mount the necklace backing before my gran left, so she just did a simple knot around the root.

She finds all kinds of other interesting things. Such as:

IMG_1028.jpg

The fossilised inner ear bone of a whale.

I would definetly buy one, tons of people would, does she have an idea of the price?

Man, I wish fossilized stuff would show up on Miami Beach. Unfortunately, there has been so much construction and stuff that any sort of fossils would have been pounding to a dust at this point.
I'm sure there's plenty of stuff off the shore once you go diving. There are already tons of shipwrecks just oozing with buried treasure too. :drool:

Has your aunt tried diving/snorkeling for any other fossils?

I think they are really cool. It would definitely be worth a shot to try selling them. An old friend of mine would be all over something like this.

I almost missed this thread...the necklaces are great! :drool: Really beautiful and unique :up:

Your aunt should start up a business...I'll bet she'd do very well. My uncle would be all over these...he owns a Newfoundland shop in Corner Brook. He's got all sorts of whale bone carvings, and necklace pieces made from whale, but a shark tooth is even more tangible...it really is evolutionary history, as you said. If she was ever interested, I'm sure shops like his would be more than happy to take a few samples from your aunt to test out the demand. You could even have a small information card next to them, explaining where they come from, etc.

GibsonGirl said:
IMG_1028.jpg

The fossilised inner ear bone of a whale.
It looks like a gerbil!

People love this kind of stuff, she should totally try to sell 'em, would do very well.

GibsonGirl said:

IMG_0947-1.jpg

...A close up of the very slight serration along the side of the teeth.

GG, are you a righty or a lefty? If you're a righty, I'm not impressed by your calluses. :tsk:

:wink:

Re: Re: Fossilised South African shark teeth

Screwtape2 said:

Odd question but can I use this picture as my cover for the next Desert Island Game?

Sure, go ahead. :)

And I'm a righty, Utoo. :wink: I can't think when last I played guitar. It's more bass these days, and I've got flatwound strings. I came to the realisation that there is virtually no demand for female guitar players in bands, but people are ALWAYS looking for bass players, be they male or female.

That is completely badass. That shark tooth means business.

It probably came from the shark that ate Sam Jackson in Deep Blue Sea...

GibsonGirl said:

Sure, go ahead. :)

And I'm a righty, Utoo. :wink: I can't think when last I played guitar. It's more bass these days, and I've got flatwound strings. I came to the realisation that there is virtually no demand for female guitar players in bands, but people are ALWAYS looking for bass players, be they male or female.

I told my sister the same thing, now she plays bass. She just learned how to play Money. I'm very proud of her.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Fossilised South African shark teeth

GibsonGirl said:

Hehe....I'm teasing because I haven't touched my guitar in a couple months either and my fingers are smoother than a baby's bottom. :sigh: Good call on bass...though I think a good female guitarist is always sexy. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom