For music stores, I like Hear Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pub crawler

New Yorker
Hear Music is apparently owned by Starbucks. I can't find many store locations on the web except a few in California, including the local Santa Monica location that I visit every now and then. I know I like the store for a couple of reasons:

1) You can have the clerk open any CD in the store (except box sets) and listen to it right then and there.

2) Although Hear Music is a small store and their album selection is not as comprehensive as one would find in the bigger music chains, they stock some interesting world and independent music and they have -- from my novice jazz appreciation perspective -- a sizeable and interesting jazz collection.

I'm not overly impressed with stores like Virgin, Tower and Amoeba with their new scan-and-listen stations because it's a fact that many, many of the CD's they have in stock are not in their data base for scanning.

The other thing about Hear Music is that their prices are not any worse then Amoeba, Tower, etc.

I really like this store. I'm sure there are more like it.

I haven't seen Hear Music before, but when I shop for new tunes, I usually go to Borders.. it's so easy.

Listening displays are definitly a good thing if they do it right.

I support Borders more than they deserve for this reason (I say more than they deserve because their prices are ridiculous for most things).

I go to a lot of used cd shops just because they let you listen to what ever you want to.

:down: starbucks :down:

and maybe it's just my experience, but i don't see how chain stores get reputations for having large selections. if so, then explain why i can never find what i want to buy?

borders is expensive. and you can't listen to anything you want, or at least not the one i went to. they had about 10 albums that you could chose from and those wre only the top ten best-selling according to some magazine that month albums

IWasBored said:

and maybe it's just my experience, but i don't see how chain stores get reputations for having large selections. if so, then explain why i can never find what i want to buy?

I think they mean they have a large selection of mainstream crap :p

Any independent record store is ten times better than the stores we have around here. We only have Best Buy and Sam Goody (both overpriced, no used CDs, and not a very good selection), and I only know of one independent. Someday I must go to Amoeba.. :drool:

elevatedmole said:

I think they mean they have a large selection of mainstream crap :p

yeah i kind of figured it meant dozens and dozens of copies of top 40 garbage, and nothing else.

I like Borders pretty well, and I only pay 15-18 dollars if I know i wont be able to find it elsewhere, like Best Buy :down:

I prefer any local independent stores....support your local record shop!!!

I buy CDs at Borders only occasionally, their prices are ridiculous. I listen to CDs at Borders more than I buy.

I usually get my CDs at a store called Gramaphone which has a wide selection and loads of sales. If I can't find them then I usually go to HMV, which charges ridiculously as well but not as bad as Borders.

Back
Top Bottom