For dog lovers Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
cute-dog.jpg

:cute:

lets see more pics of cute dogs

Where'd you get your Beagle? Phil is thinking he wants a Beagle (he gets to pick the next dog, when he graduates).

A couple that bred lemon beagles in Miami at their home put an ad in the paper for them. We got to see the parents on site and everything.

Almost indeed ... I'm sure as heck no Penny The Beagle!

But aww, thanks.

: scratches Chizip behind the ears :

AtomicBono said:
6a00c10e0f63c5d3b400c2251c66ad549d-500pi

this is the kind of dog i want :cute: it's a shiba inu...hopefully I will get one soon

Great choice! I love those quirky little dogs. Keep in mind they are very independent and are still rather "wild" so they are escape artists and can't ever be trusted off-lead. I like them b/c they are basically a cat in dog form. Have you found a breeder?

IMG_60066.jpg
My Dog Sheeva.
IMG_60055.jpg

IMG_59999.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

DSCN2874.jpg

Some Dog Chilling on Haight and Ashbury in San Francisco
IMG_4928.jpg

Buddy yawning after I'd tucked him in:

BuddyTired.jpg

Chewie trying to figure out what the heck to do with her bone:

ChewieMouthful.jpg

Don't worry, we let them chew on those big bones for just a little while every week or so and then take them away. Otherwise, they'd probably just plow right through them. :crack: :heart:

Hugging in the backseat of the truck:

DogHug.jpg

AtomicBono said:
6a00c10e0f63c5d3b400c2251c66ad549d-500pi

this is the kind of dog i want :cute: it's a shiba inu...hopefully I will get one soon

I keep thinking of that dog and think I would love one, but I can never remember what they're called. I'll have to drill it into my memory.

Shiba Inu
Shiba Inu
Shiba Inu
Shiba Inu

Om padme shanti ommmmmmmm ...

If you like Shibas, you may also like Jindos and Shikokus. The Shibas are the smallest. I love Japanese dogs, but I like the larger ones a bit more, just for their size.

Liesje said:

:love: that is a BEAUTIFUL dog...I love wolfish dogs the best. Like huskies. Unfortunatley, huskies are way too big for our apartment.

We haven't found a breeder yet...I've been looking in the classifieds to see if anyone is selling shiba pups, but they're not the most common breed. I suppose I could search online for one. is there a way to make sure breeders are good and aren't running a puppy mill or anything twisted like that? also breeders are so expensive...i dunno if we can afford to buy a dog more than $500 what with all the other expenses in owning a dog...I don't care about it being totally purebred, really, I just want some sort of shiba-ish dog.

Bonochick and Justin24, you both have adorable dogs. that one bone is soooooo huge! :lol:

simfi_aesebsdte.jpg
also how cute is this Icelandic Sheepdog pup... :cute:

AtomicBono said:

We haven't found a breeder yet...I've been looking in the classifieds to see if anyone is selling shiba pups, but they're not the most common breed. I suppose I could search online for one. is there a way to make sure breeders are good and aren't running a puppy mill or anything twisted like that? also breeders are so expensive...i dunno if we can afford to buy a dog more than $500 what with all the other expenses in owning a dog...I don't care about it being totally purebred, really, I just want some sort of shiba-ish dog.

Check out my journal post. I just recently went off the hook ranting about irresponsible breeding. Honestly, any breeder that posts in classifieds is NOT an ethical breeder. Good breeders don't advertise like that and will screen potential buyers so they can match you with the right puppy based on what personality you are looking for. Unfortunately with dog breeding these days, breeders are either good or bad, there's really no gray area. Even breeders who mean well and are unintentionally ignorant are constantly flooding the gene pool with badly bred dogs.

Shibas are rare, but there are definitely dogs (even other Japaneses breeds) that are a LOT more rare here, so you should be able to find one at some point.

Here is the breed club:
http://www.shibas.org/

They should have a breeder directory of reputable breeders who have signed the club's code of ethics.

For any dog that is from a reputable breeder, bred of championed parents with proper health certs and an official pedigree, I would expect to pay $500-$1500. This will literally save you thousands in costs that can accumulate because a poorly bred dog has genetic health defects or a terrible temperament and needs a professional behaviorist. If you cannot afford a well bred Shiba, I'd consider looking into the Shiba rescue instead. Generally, you will find better quality of dogs through a breed's rescue than you will get from bad breeders who sell their dogs at pet stores and in classified ads.

Shibas can be difficult dogs because they were not intended to be house pets, so they require a lot of commitment. They are quite independent, high strung, escape artists. Training is more difficult because they are more "wild" and stubborn than something like a German Shepherd or a Lab. They were bred to hunt, not necessarily be companions. They will make a fine companion as long as they receive the right training. This is the same for all the Japanese breeds, though the dog aggression, prey drive, and dominance tends to escalate with their size (like Jindos and Akitas). The Shiba will be more manageable because of it's size, but size cannot be an excuse to ignore or reinforce bad behaviors (I see this way to often with small dogs).

I looked at this briefly, but it looks like a valuable article to consider:
http://www.shibas.org/newstand/doggie.html

Good luck! If you need more help, I'd join forum.dog.com. There is one girl there who has a really great Shiba and is starting research so that she can someday breed Japanese breeds. She'd be able to help you more since I am less familiar with Japanese breeds.

If you really like the look of a husky, but want a small dog, consider and Alaskan Klee Kai, a miniature version of the Alaskan Husky (similar to a Siberian Husky):
show_crate_premier98.jpg

kleekai_top.jpg

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/alaskankleekai.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom