For dog lovers Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow are you sure that's a mix? Looks like a slightly heavier boned (favorable to me!) bi-color German Shepherd to me! If not purebred, could very easy pass for one.

Other purebred bi-colors (look just like yours)
BicolorGSDmale.jpg

OdinRun.jpg

bodo_100_dpi_stack.JPG

kesistand.jpg

We had a beautiful bi-color like that at our animal shelter and I wanted him SOOO bad but the timing was off. Luckily there were lots of people coming in just to see him.

Liesje said:
Wow are you sure that's a mix? Looks like a slightly heavier boned (favorable to me!) bi-color German Shepherd to me! If not purebred, could very easy pass for one.

She'd be so glad to hear that! :wink: Perhaps she is a bi-colour. My mom is more up to speed about where we originally got her...I'll have to ask. It's so interesting how people and families often fall in love with a certain breed. Shadow is actually the third Shepherd (or mostly Shepherd!) we've had in my lifetime. The legacy started with my grandmother getting one for my mother and aunt when they were kids. According to legend, the dog, "Heidi," followed them everywhere...fishing trips to the local stream, visits to the beach. She was like a canine bodyguard...literally. My grandmother once told me how Heidi snapped at a family friend who playfully roughed my mom's hair. That's the dual nature of a Shepherd--their unconditional loyalty to those in their circle, and the intimidating stance to those who aren't. They're a passionate bunch!

Unfortunately, our two previous Shepherds had very dramatic exists. The first died after my grandmother unwittingly gave her rib bones to eat. It was never an exact correlation, as she didn't make it to the vet in time for an exam, but I always guessed it was some sort of intestinal blockage. That was a tough one for me. I was 17 when she died...in my arms. :( She had been my dog, and my friend, for nine years. I still have a framed picture of her on my bureau at home. The other dog ended up getting dysplasia, and died during a corrective surgery. From what I recall, there was some fool-up with his blood-type with the veterinarian. We thought about suing for a time...I actually have a mental block (maybe by design) of the complete details. He was absolutely beautiful, however...and a police academy dropout! He was apparently not aggressive enough, poor fella!

We certainly loved him while we had him. Even with all of the heartache, there's something amazingly special about Shepherds...something that will no doubt continue on again after Shadow.

daygloeyes2 said:

Best friends! :wink:

Do you guys have dog hair EVERYWHERE?

Samson is always very well groomed, on account of my Mom treating him like her third child now that my brother and I are both away at school. He's brushed regularly, which helps, but obviously he has a lot of fur. Clothing that has never even been in my parents' house has Samson hair on it. Every article I own has Collie fur. It's unreal.

Yes, everywhere, even in my own hair. I guess having a minimum of three cats in my house for the past 3 years has prepared me for that! Kenya has the "tight stock coat", but she still is very much double-coated as per the standard, so she sheds non-stop. I brush here every other day and it doesn't even matter, I can still pull out fist fulls of hair.

Kenya's going to put me out on the street! I just signed up for three new types of training: Rally, CGC Obedience, and Pet Therapy (therapy dog certification). My checkbook is not pleased!

The Pet Therapy course is very cool, and the exam is quite comprehensive. I know a woman who has a golden retriever therapy dog and he's quite funny. He's so used to going to nursing homes where he trots from patient to patient and gets hugged and petted, that anytime anyone comes up to him on the street, he sits down and looks at them expectantly until they pay some attention to him.

Yeah I'm pumped! The course is so cheap and part of it is off-site. The CGC is lumped in, but I'm assuming she will pass that in October b/c our next obedience level is also CGC. I looked at the therapy dog tests and I think they are really good. The CGC is supposed to be harder, but so many of the evaluators make it really easy, it's become something every dog owner should reasonably be able to get. I was a little terrified of the therapy exam at first, but like the CGC I'm told it's not as strict as it appears on paper (for example, a startle IS allowed, just not cowering, running away, or any fear based reactive aggression). If someone took a tray of medical equipment and tossed it at me, I know I'd startle!

I had no intention of actually doing pet therapy work, but we do have a large children's hospital in town..... (I can't do nursing homes....just can't).

Liesje said:
I had no intention of actually doing pet therapy work, but we do have a large children's hospital in town..... (I can't do nursing homes....just can't).

I do nursing homes...or 'seniors' homes. :wink: It is difficult at times, however. The heat is often the biggest factor...old folks like their heat! Even in the dead of summer. That makes it especially tough on Coco, with her layer of fur. The cue for ending our visits is usually when her tongue hits the floor.

On the upside, it does give a tangible sense of companionship to them, which is amazing to see. I have my regulars, and a bond is definitely forged. One of the funniest (but also sad) situations happens when we meet up with a woman with Alzheimer's. Every time we visit, it's as if it's the first visit...she has no recollection of past encounters in her short-term memory. Fascinating lady, with a great sense of humour...until she asks what my dog's name is. "It's Coco," I'll say. I'll usually follow then with mentioning that Coco's second name is "Nut." "Oh nooo...that's not right!!" she'll reply, with scorn in her face...every time. :der:

angelordevil said:

I do nursing homes...or 'seniors' homes. :wink: It is difficult at times, however. The heat is often the biggest factor...old folks like their heat! Even in the dead of summer. That makes it especially tough on Coco, with her layer of fur. The cue for ending our visits is usually when her tongue hits the floor.

On the upside, it does give a tangible sense of companionship to them, which is amazing to see. I have my regulars, and a bond is definitely forged. One of the funniest (but also sad) situations happens when we meet up with a woman with Alzheimer's. Every time we visit, it's as if it's the first visit...she has no recollection of past encounters in her short-term memory. Fascinating lady, with a great sense of humour...until she asks what my dog's name is. "It's Coco," I'll say. I'll usually follow then with mentioning that Coco's second name is "Nut." "Oh nooo...that's not right!!" she'll reply, with scorn in her face...every time. :der:

My mum used to do that (about 20 years ago -- I hadn't realised it was that long!) with our Alaskan Malamute, Rolf. There was no certification or anything -- she just called up the local nursing home and asked if they were interested. They were delighted. She found very much the same things you do -- from how hot the place was (really hard on a Malamute) to the companionship the people got from Rolf.

Mum and Rolf were the only visitors some of the people ever got, which I found really sad since most did have relatives in the area. They generally went on the same day each week and the people really looked forward to those visits. There was one woman with late stage Alzheimer's who was pretty much always agitated and fearful as well as being completely non verbal. When Rolf was around she was much calmer and happier, and she would even say dog. Her family was very happy that she seemed to have some peace and happiness from those visits. Because of the Rolf experience they bought her a little stuffed dog that she then always held. It seemed to help her a little. A few of them would save a bit of their lunch (bread crusts, part of a roll -- stuff like that mostly) for Rolf and he would take it from them soooo gently. He was such a great dog for this as he absolutely loved people and was always enthused and happy to see each person but was never overzealous. He was incredibly patient and gentle. Mum took the camera several times and took pics of each person with Rolf, then had the pics developed and gave them to each person. That was very popular.

Once mum even made arrangements to take the pony (we had a Shetland pony) there. Most of the people came out to the patio at the entrance and got to see and pat the pony and have pictures taken. And then mum took the pony around the outside of the building to the windows of the rooms where some of the people who couldn't come out were. That way they got included too.

Mum was able to keep that up for a little over two years, but since she was never in the best of health herself, it eventually took it's toll on her and she had to stop. And I've never since had a dog that was really suited to that kind of interaction, but if I ever do, it would be something I'd be interested in myself.

Wow, I bet they loved having a Malamute! No dog has an expression like a Mal.

Now you have to be certified b/c of the lawsuit happy culture and people bringing in pets that really were not appropriate. The nice thing about the certification is that they actually use medical equipment and take you to various places first, so that the dog is already indifferent towards the new smells and textures. I also like the TDI certification b/c unlike competitive obedience, temperament and socialization are a huge factor. Without outside input, it's really hard for me to tell where she needs work, so I'm hoping the class will address that, at the very least.

I don't like nursing homes b/c they remind me of my gran. No offense to elderly people, I just don't feel comfortable in them, and a German Shepherd has a keen way of reading any tension from the handler. Also, Kenya is totally indifferent towards adults, but she will gravitate towards children. She wouldn't care either way about a nursing home, but I think she would like a children's hospital and I want her to want to do it if she does it. Phil's getting a special ad degree and certification, so maybe he knows of some programs that need dogs. Don't many autistic kids respond well to therapy with animals? Maybe that's just a horse thing...

Oh, and here's the neighbor's pit. He just had his ears cropped. The pic is weird b/c I took it through a screen.
1405155936_293b165363.jpg

indra said:

Once mum even made arrangements to take the pony (we had a Shetland pony) there. Most of the people came out to the patio at the entrance and got to see and pat the pony and have pictures taken. And then mum took the pony around the outside of the building to the windows of the rooms where some of the people who couldn't come out were. That way they got included too.

Great story, Indra! Your mom and Rolf seemed like quite the team. Really thoughtful of her to bring the pony...I'm sure the old folks really got a kick out of that! It's truly sad how many seniors don't have any sense of companionship in their final stretch of life. Sometimes, the family dynamics just don't allow for it, especially if family live away, etc. I always find it so compelling to hear their stories and memories...even if some do get repeated over and over again! I met up with one lady who spent her working life at a local train station here. She hadn't seen it since she retired over 25 years ago. I really wanted to take her out for the afternoon, so she could see the restoring they've done there...it's a museum now. Maybe I'll suggest a tour of some kind to the staff. I can see how some people, like Liesje, don't feel comfortable in nursing homes...I think it's what you grow up with, and what you're adjusted to. Ultimately, it would be great to have them all in their own homes...living with animals!

As for the testing/certification, we actually had to do a full course with the St. John Ambulance organization. All sorts of regimented stops & starts & obedience evaluation. I think Coco was overwhelmed by some of it...we actually had trouble getting her to just sit in place in certain spots of the gymnasium, where they tested. She's a very tiny dog, and very good-natured...so I think they cut her some slack. She still received her diploma! :wink:

Anyone do Rally with their dog? I thought it sounded really dumb but enrolled anyway and Kenya loves it!! She's already learned watch, swing, finish, heel (off leash), front, different paces, and she can do all the step-halt combinations perfectly. Sometimes she gets distracted by sniffing (her breeder's dogs are champion trackers), so this sport will be better for attention work. Also, you can only use positive methods and are excused from the ring for correcting the dog.

Liesje said:
Wow, I bet they loved having a Malamute! No dog has an expression like a Mal.

Don't many autistic kids respond well to therapy with animals? Maybe that's just a horse thing...

The comment almost everyone said about Rolf (even when he was just a wee pup) was "Now that's a real dog!" Everyone loved Rolf -- and Rolf loved just about everyone too. He was a great dog. :)

One year my mum did some respite care in a group home for some severely autistic children, and we arranged for the kids to come out and take rides in the pony cart and on one of the horses. The kids loved it and it was amazing to see how much better they were around the horse and pony than they usually were. These kids had very very severe autism and were often violently resistant to any interaction with other people, but with the pony they would try really hard to do what they were asked to do. They really enjoyed the pony and horse.

angelordevil said:

Great story, Indra! Your mom and Rolf seemed like quite the team. Really thoughtful of her to bring the pony...I'm sure the old folks really got a kick out of that! It's truly sad how many seniors don't have any sense of companionship in their final stretch of life. Sometimes, the family dynamics just don't allow for it, especially if family live away, etc. I always find it so compelling to hear their stories and memories...even if some do get repeated over and over again! I met up with one lady who spent her working life at a local train station here. She hadn't seen it since she retired over 25 years ago. I really wanted to take her out for the afternoon, so she could see the restoring they've done there...it's a museum now. Maybe I'll suggest a tour of some kind to the staff. I can see how some people, like Liesje, don't feel comfortable in nursing homes...I think it's what you grow up with, and what you're adjusted to. Ultimately, it would be great to have them all in their own homes...living with animals!

As for the testing/certification, we actually had to do a full course with the St. John Ambulance organization. All sorts of regimented stops & starts & obedience evaluation. I think Coco was overwhelmed by some of it...we actually had trouble getting her to just sit in place in certain spots of the gymnasium, where they tested. She's a very tiny dog, and very good-natured...so I think they cut her some slack. She still received her diploma! :wink:

Yeah Rolf loved mum -- he even liked to go with her in the car when she would run errands. Once when she was in the hospital he was so morose I took him with me when I went to pick her up (it was winter, so he was very happy in the car when I went in). He was so very happy when she got into the car! (I think he told her everything I did "wrong" while she was gone too! :) ) Although I think everyone really did enjoy Rolf and the pony, I think they enjoyed the conversations with mum just as much. She got to hear most of the folks' life stories, and many were pretty interesting.

This is for angelordevil, I just discovered one of the most successful American-line German Shepherds is a bi-color like yours and....his name is Bono! :D

GV CH Mar Haven's And The Beat Goes On RN TC ROM CGC OFA "Bono"
FUT501.JPG

jets said:
I love all the doggy pictures !!

Here's my mate Eddie, a 3 year old miniature schnauzer

P1260504.jpg

P9301596a.jpg

Oh how cute! :cute:

Great pics too! The first one just oozes personality and love the second action shot. :yes:

So, I have a couple questions I'm hoping some of the Really Knowledgeable Dog People around here could maybe help me out with...

1) IYO, if you're considering getting a puppy of some particular breed (as opposed to a lovable mix from the Humane Society), how essential is that breed's having AKC recognition? What are the implications of considering a non-AKC breed in terms of 'quality,' possible ethical issues, etc.?

2) Anyone familiar with American Bulldogs? ('familiar' as in, hopefully, having met and interacted with one)

The questions are interrelated...American Bulldogs aren't recognized by the AKC (yet, anyway), and while I hadn't thought much about them before--I'd seen a couple pictures in 'Pick The Best Breed For You'-type books, none of which really grabbed me--a few weeks ago I was out running, and met another runner accompanied by a dog I thought was so :love: that I stopped in my tracks and immediately began peppering him with questions. To my surprise his dog was an American Bulldog, just of a type I'd never seen in the pictures.

Johnson type:
americanbulldogxq7.jpg

Scott type:
americanbulldog3au1.jpg

Johnson/Scott mix:
americanbulldog2za5.jpg

Those are the two major strains of American Bulldog. The Johnson type has more of a 'classic bulldog' look in face and body, while the Scott type looks somewhat like an Amstaff. Both are fairly large dogs (about 75-110 lbs. and 25 in. tall). I've always had a soft spot for bulldogs, so I immediately adored his dog, which was a Johnson type with a body very much like the Johnson/Scott mix above, and a face like the Johnson type pictured (with gorgeous honey-colored eyes). According to this guy, they're fairly athletic dogs requiring a good amount of exercise, "can be a bit stubborn" with obedience training, and need to be socialized well from puppyhood due to their strong guardian instincts (the Johnsons, anyway; apparently the Scotts, which descend from dogs used for hog-catching--I can see where stubbornness and brawn would be critical for that!--are less territorial but more of an intense, driven workdog). He said hip dysplasia can be a problem with some lines, so finding a good breeder is important.

(Of course, like an idiot, I didn't think to ask him where he got his dog from. :angry: )

Anyhow, the emphasis on 'need to socialize them well' and the not-AKC-recognized thing make me a bit nervous, but on the other hand his dog was, at least to my eyes, absolutely gorgeous, and (from what I could tell from interacting with it for five minutes) had a wonderfully confident, spirited, and well-disposed personality.

Last edited:
Yolland, I wouldn't worry about the AKC thing. They ARE UKC recognized. The AKC only recognizes a fraction of the breeds that the UKC recognizes. AmBulls have been around long enough that they are a substantial breed with history. I'm not sure why they are not AKC recognized, but typically that doesn't have anything to do with the AKC, but the parent club never going through the motions of joining the AKC. As long as there is a well-developed parent club at the national level, it would not concern me. I prefer the UKC anyway.

I don't know much about these dogs, but my first concern would be that you may have to work extra hard to find a good breeder b/c 1) Chance in Homeward Bound was an AmBull and anytime something like that happens, you have the uninformed public buying and backyard breeding dogs like nobody's business. 2) It seems that with bully breeds, there's always a small percentage of people that breed ethically and reputably and then a large percentage of people that talk up "bloodline this, bloodline that" but their dogs have no legit conformation titles, working titles, or health certs. I see it ALL the time with pit bulls and amstaffs. Kennels trying to look all tough and play up on that aspect of the dog, throwing out bloodlines like Razor's Edge, Brooks, etc, but their dogs have NO titles or health certs (a vet check and vaccinations are NOT a health cert). Again, I don't know much about AmBulls, but with ANY breed I would only consider breeders whose dogs have conformation titles (not ACK "CH" here, but a U-CH or whatever titles the breed clubs offer), health certs like OFA or PennHIP, CERF, and maybe others (for example, for German Shepherds, they will also OFA the heart and test for vW disease). You should also see that the breeders are showing and working their own dogs. I suppose AmBulls would be doing weight pull, maybe Schutzhund? You want it to be obvious that the breeders are putting time and money into their dogs and into improving the breed, first and foremost.

If you like the white bully, but don't mind expanding your range, check out Olde English Bulldogges, Alapaha Blue Blood Bull Dogs, or Dogo Argentions.

Thanks Lies! :) That's some really helpful info. I keyword searched a bit with AmBull and some of the things you talked about, and already I've found several very helpful articles I think might point me in the direction of some good further reading.

I didn't know about the 'Homeward Bound' dog, but I know exactly what you mean about bully breeds and the 'backyard breeders' issue, and yeah, just from the couple dozen or so AmBull breeders' sites I've glanced at so far, I've seen several that were clearly of that variety. And yes, some (better) AmBull breeders do indeed do Schutzhund (mostly the Johnson and Johnson/Scott mixes) and weight pull (mostly the Scotts) with their dogs.

I have read a little before about Alapahas and Olde Englishes and am interested in them, too (I'm just not as attracted to the more pit-bullish types like Dogos, though they are beautiful dogs). But they are both quite rare breeds, and while I suppose on the good side that means fewer backyard breeders, I also kind of get the sense that those breeds are much more of a 'work in progress' than AmBulls are in terms of the breeders being in general agreement on what type(s) exactly they're aiming for. Perhaps further research will suggest otherwise, though.

Anyhow, thanks again for the help!

No prob! Wish I knew more about the breed specifically. It's sort of fresh on my mind b/c an acquaintance on another site is looking for a very good, reputable AmBull kennel breeding working dogs (so far her top pick would have to be imported from the Netherlands). She has two rescued AmBulls but would like a good sport dog to do protection work with.

It's refreshing to see people actually doing research before just running out and buying or adopting the first dog that looks cute. It took me 1.5 yrs to come up with a short list of breeds and another 8 months to actually apply with a rescue or breeder. I still spend about an hour a day researching just German Shepherds, looking at various kennels online.

Liesje said:
This is for angelordevil, I just discovered one of the most successful American-line German Shepherds is a bi-color like yours and....his name is Bono! :D

GV CH Mar Haven's And The Beat Goes On RN TC ROM CGC OFA "Bono"
FUT501.JPG

That's so great! :lol: I'll definitely email that home for my mom to see...and maybe even Shadow, herself. :wink: Such a beautiful dog. :drool: Shadow actually had a horrible encounter a few weeks back during a walk. :( She was tackled by a Newfoundland dog who was roaming freely on the beach. Mom thought the worst after Shad limped away, plus she couldn't walk correctly for a week. Apparently, there were some choice words for the dog's owner, who has a reputation for letting his dogs roam (numerous other dogs have also been injured along the same route).This time, he ended up footing the vet bill, because mom was so incensed.

I think we'll have to get in touch with Bono, to provide protection for Shadow!

Flash is back form the vet. His poor pancreas. :(

But he's well enough to let me take a couple of pics with my new (and incredibly badass) camera:

picture01kw2.jpg

picture00me9.jpg

:cute:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom