For Cat Lovers Only XVIII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The loss of 9 teeth doesn't seem to bother her any - she still enjoys eating the dry food I give her in the evening! Just sometimes she looks a little funny when she closes her mouth! But then she licks her chops and everything settles back where it's supposed to be.

:cute:

i also had a cat who had to get nine teeth pulled, it didn't seem to bother him either. once he was all healed you never really would've known (especially since all or most were back teeth).

i didn't feel too well yesterday, and all three cats just kinda descended on here all at once last night. it was so cute having all three snuggling with me. :cute:

Cori, does her tongue stick out sometimes, like she doesn't know it? Callie's does. :cute:

Khan, our cats do that, too--they seem to know when we are sad or not feeling well. We call them Dr. Fergus and Nurse Callie.

Meet the newest member of my family!

Sheldon.jpg

Sheldon. :heart:

Cori, does her tongue stick out sometimes, like she doesn't know it?

Yes! She did that before her teeth were pulled, too. It's the cutest thing and I totally squeal every time I see her do it. :lol:

Poor Phoebe has a hairball issue or something. Yesterday and this morning she was doing the noises like she was about to hurl, but with no actual hurling. I'm assuming she's just working on a hairball. :(

My mom used to smear a little Vaseline on our cat growing up, because apparently that helped guard against hairballs. Have any of you ever done that?

She's had maybe two hairballs she's thrown up over the last few years; they're pretty few and far between. I think this is the first time I've heard her actually making those sounds, though.

If she's still doing it tomorrow, I'll call the vet. She seems fine otherwise - a little low-key, but seems to be eating fine and was purring last night on the bed.

Yes! She did that before her teeth were pulled, too. It's the cutest thing and I totally squeal every time I see her do it. :lol:

Poor Phoebe has a hairball issue or something. Yesterday and this morning she was doing the noises like she was about to hurl, but with no actual hurling. I'm assuming she's just working on a hairball. :(

My mom used to smear a little Vaseline on our cat growing up, because apparently that helped guard against hairballs. Have any of you ever done that?

She's had maybe two hairballs she's thrown up over the last few years; they're pretty few and far between. I think this is the first time I've heard her actually making those sounds, though.

If she's still doing it tomorrow, I'll call the vet. She seems fine otherwise - a little low-key, but seems to be eating fine and was purring last night on the bed.

I've never heard of the Vaseline stopping hairballs trick. Did your mom put the Vaeseline near the mouth area? is it safe for the cats?

If its safe and works, I can give it a try with Keto.

He is a hairball machine. That dry heaving you mentioned is pretty much a daily thing for him. and the whenever he's gone into the yard and eaten grass, the next day we find a hairball without fail. But then, he's got so much fur and he's constantly licking it so I'm sure he ingests tons of it

Well, our cat growing up never had any harm come to him from licking Vaseline off his fur, so ..... :lol: I have no idea where my mom had heard about that, or if she just decided one day that it would work. She'd wipe a little just on his side, toward the haunches, so it was easy for him to lick it off.

Maybe the vet told her about it, because I remember at one point she told me *why* it worked, but damned if I can remember.

We've given our cats vaseline for hairballs. Mamacat loved the stuff. She'd lick it off our fingers. I think it helps the hairballs pass through their digestive track, instead of them having to hack them up.

Thank you! That's it. I'm going to swipe a little on Phoebe's fur and see if that helps her. She's still making awful sounds, although nothing has come up.

.... that I've found, anyway. :uhoh:

He is a hairball machine. That dry heaving you mentioned is pretty much a daily thing for him. and the whenever he's gone into the yard and eaten grass, the next day we find a hairball without fail. But then, he's got so much fur and he's constantly licking it so I'm sure he ingests tons of it
we used to have a cat who got hairballs all the time, too. we gave her laxair, which the vet recommended. i'm sure it tasted pretty nasty but she freaking loved the stuff, she'd have the whole tube if we'd let her. though i'm pretty sure the vet said vaseline was fine, too.

The vet recommended I bring her in today. :( They said it may be a hairball, but based on the "hacking" sound I described (what I would call a typical "hairball" sound), and combined with the mild lethargy she's had the past two days, I should bring her in.

I swear to god, if they want to run a battery of tests or something, I'm going to cry. Obviously, I want my li'l Beanie to be well, but I already had to use up what I had at the time in my "Ireland trip" fund for her teeth pulling extravaganza last year. It's going to be a cruel trick of fate if she picks now to have a major issue.

:(

Yeah, now I'm wondering if that's not a Hairball Hack, but an actual hacking cough, like she's got a cold.

I'll feel pretty silly if it turns out I couldn't tell the difference. :reject:

Yeah, now I'm wondering if that's not a Hairball Hack, but an actual hacking cough, like she's got a cold.

I'll feel pretty silly if it turns out I couldn't tell the difference. :reject:

Don't beat yourself up over not being able to tell the difference. I think most of us would be in the same boat unless one's a trained professional who can spot subtle signs.

Hopefully everything checks out ok at the vet's

You never know she could have a hairball blocked. I'd let them do an xray at least.

yeah, that's why I called initially - I wasn't sure how long I should sit and wait for her to cough something up if it is a hairball.

But to be honest, a cold would explain her lethargy, and she did have a runny eye yesterday (although not since then). The cough/hack thing is crazy, though.

Poor little dear.

And poor me. Almost time to wrangle her into the carrier. Although it's a new one, so hopefully she won't resist too much. ... until after she finds out this new thing means car ride, which means vet, which means next time it'll be more of a painful wrangle again. :lol:

So yeah, it's not a hairball. She has bronchitis. I was feeling pretty :doh: about mistaking her hacking cough for a hair ball, but the vet told me it's an easy mistake to make. It's good I took her in.

They ran a chest x-ray just to make sure there wasn't anything else going on, and while there were no surprises (whew), the vet was surprised to see that her airways were really blocked. It's amazing she only started coughing on Wednesday - she gave no other sign that anything was wrong.

Oh, and I've been concerned that the vet was going to say that she weighed too little, that she wasn't eating enough. Last summer, she was at 10 pounds, and I was worried she'd be below that. So they weigh her, and the assistant says to the vet "4.55."

!!!!!!!! I just about fainted. I said, "Um ..... did you just say she weighs ... "

The vet rolled her eyes. "It's kilograms. They're trying to get us to change to metric, and it's really stupid. She weighs 10 pounds.

She reassured me that Phoebe's weight is nowhere near worrisome, at least in her eyes. It's a different vet than her usual vet, as he's on vacation.

So yeah. She's on a course of antibiotics for 9 days, along with steroids, once every other day at first and then adjusting if need be until the vet is satisfied she's better.

Thank god for credit cards.

Poor baby.. bronchitis? I've never heard them call it that for a cat. Good thing you took her in. Hope she feels better soon.

Yeah, she said it was likely due to some sort of allergen, what with it being spring and a rather wet one at that.

I've found that things usually come up pretty quickly once you apply the vaseline.

Come on, everyone was waiting for that.

Is this a new thing for you? Stalking the Cat thread until you find something pervy to catch?

If so, awesome, because it's cracking me up.

In other news, Bowie got something all over this tail (I think it might've been Baileys...long story) and it was SUCH a bitch to clean it out. I ended up having to comb out so many knots and he lost a lot of fur. He scratched the hell out of me too, but it's all good now, and we're friends again :crack:

So yeah, it's not a hairball. She has bronchitis. I was feeling pretty :doh: about mistaking her hacking cough for a hair ball, but the vet told me it's an easy mistake to make. It's good I took her in.

They ran a chest x-ray just to make sure there wasn't anything else going on, and while there were no surprises (whew), the vet was surprised to see that her airways were really blocked. It's amazing she only started coughing on Wednesday - she gave no other sign that anything was wrong.

Oh, and I've been concerned that the vet was going to say that she weighed too little, that she wasn't eating enough. Last summer, she was at 10 pounds, and I was worried she'd be below that. So they weigh her, and the assistant says to the vet "4.55."

!!!!!!!! I just about fainted. I said, "Um ..... did you just say she weighs ... "

The vet rolled her eyes. "It's kilograms. They're trying to get us to change to metric, and it's really stupid. She weighs 10 pounds.

She reassured me that Phoebe's weight is nowhere near worrisome, at least in her eyes. It's a different vet than her usual vet, as he's on vacation.

So yeah. She's on a course of antibiotics for 9 days, along with steroids, once every other day at first and then adjusting if need be until the vet is satisfied she's better.

Thank god for credit cards.

I'm glad you found out what's wrong, Cori. Best to know, with our "babies." and I echo your last sentence!

What a beauty! :love:

Just wanted to mention that we sometimes give our cats a little butter or margarine for them to lick off our fingers. Seems to work pretty well for the hairball prevention, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom