For Cat Lovers Only XVII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
is it possible she buried her pee in the litter box real well? Nochi does this and I have to dig to find it, meaning when I clean out her box its down there. This maybe why you are not smelling anything. You could rake the litter real good and see if it is disturbed later on or the next day.

Yeah I always flatten the litter after I scoop it so I can keep tabs on how much they're going.

The landlord doesn't want us using scoopable litter since some people flush it down the toilet. Uh, yea.. right. So we're using non clumping, unscented cat litter, will I still be able to see. Getting more worried by the minute for her. Hopefully get into the vet tomorrow. Please pray for little Samus.

Just did a dig through and found some darkened litter near the bottom, so she has gone. I just raked it like you guys suggested and will check it again in the morning. There is a walk-in clinic in town since we haven't a steady vet yet so we will likely take her there tomorrow if at all possible for a check up.

How weird. I can't flush my litter down the toilet either because of the plumbing, but why restrict the kind of litter you use? So you just scoop the clumps and throw them away in the trash or whatever.

What a lame landlord. :down:

Nahh, this is the place to come with your 8 million questions. I would have been lost with Phoebe if it weren't for this thread. :)

Do you guys have crystals litter where you live? It's a little more expensive but you can easily tell if they go because then the crystals turn yellow. And with crystals you can just stir it around when they pee and scoop when they poo. It lasts longer than regular litter and doesnt smell as bad. Here's a couple brands.

Fresh Step? Litter :: Crystals

Litter Pearls | PetFoodDirect.com

hmmm.. I have never flushed scoopable litter down the toilet.. I have always bagged it up with plastic grocery bags and dumped them in the trash. I get this litter just because its easy to get the waste up when I clean out her litterbox.

How would the landlord know you were using scoopable litter if you didn't flush it but threw it out with the rest of the trash? :confused:

I have no frikkin' idea.. it kind of pissed me off since we bought a big box of it. We're going to use it next time. I think we're both smart enough not to flush it down the loo. :madspit:

Sicy I saw the crystals and had no clue what they were. lol

Major breakthrough last night. I slept on the couch and around 6am or so she woke me up because she was hungry. Gave her some food which she devoured, she went to the litter box on her own (and she might have gone when I was sleeping) and also is quite playful this morning after stalking a giant spider, stabbing it with her claws and having it run in my general direction so I could squish it. She is acting much more the cat and this has me thrilled. Her curious meows, answering when I talk to her, trying different things to wake me up so I would feed her.. so happy :heart: I hope this means that she isn't plugged up and it's just her adjusting that was making her not eat etc.

First play session today! This weekend she was very lethargic just now she played with some of her toys and ate some more. Feeling so good right now that she is feeling better.

Sounds as if she's realised that this is home and is adjusting nicely. :yes: :up:

Yep.. she just needed a couple of days to get comfortable in her new home. :applaud:

So has she pooped? :shifty: You'd definitely know if she pooped.. :wink:

That's what we named her after, the Metroid heroine. We're nerds lol. She curls up just like a morphball, very sweet. Always near me or Nick. She could have very well used the litter box last night while we were sleeping. I really hope so. We made the food portions smaller so she doesn't feel daunted at the task of a big bowl full of food. I wonder if she may have been abandoned by her mother. As I really need to take her to the water, point it out to her and then she'll drink, same goes with the food.

I know the smell of cat pee well as my old cat which is still with my brother is older and has some issues waiting to get to the can. That being said, I can't smell anything of the sort in the house. She has been cleaning herself so I wonder if she may have gone to the bathroom somewhere we're not aware of.

That being said her temperament is very gentle and loving. She will not swat at you. She isn't very interested in toys or catnip at all. If I pat my lap she will jump up and bonk against my head purring all the time. She circles like a dog before laying down. She really is adorable. I really hope there isn't anything serious wrong with her, this is a wonderful cat. We will try and get her in for an appointment pronto.

:hi5: Ha, that's very cool!

Interesting that she needs you to point out the water.. how old is she? :hmm: Do you know anything at all on her background?
Cause my cat came from the streets as well, and we had similar issues when she just got here. She'd steal any food that was not meant for her, and needed us to point out her food and water for about a week, then she finally got the message and ate her own stuff. Though the stealing continued for quite a while.

Sounds like she's a great cuddly kitty! :cute: Hope the issues will be resolved soon, otherwise indeed a VET can help you.

ETA: I see the issues are resolved already! :D Yay, that's good to hear! Now we need lotsa piccies!

As for the background we don't know much. On the sheet is says she was abandoned on such and such st and brought to the shelter. Today she was watching the leaves blow by the window. She has no interest at all in the catnip, even with her feeling better. She may be one of those cats that doesn't like it. No worries, I know a certain old cat who still goes nutters with just a sniff :wink:

Appetite is becoming more pronounced with each hour. She hates the dry food. Going to see if maybe we can find a fish flavoured hairball control one.

Will she only eat fish flavored food? It would actually be best to feed her chicken or beef.. I've sometimes read that a fish-diet only over years may contribute to some health issues in certain cats.

Hi People!! Haven't been here for a few days so just catching up on some older posts.

Congratulations on the new cat Raven. Look's like she's starting to adjust to a proper home life.

All I can add to all the great advice you're getting here is, just be patient. This cat has had a rough life and her personality will not change at the flip of a switch just because she's in a new environment. It will take a long time maybe a few months, a year or more before she is psychologically able to relax and let go of her past experiences.

In the meantime, the prescription calls for lots of good food, toys, and attention from you.

Duty accepted DM

It may have just been the brand of dry food (whiskas) I know they use a smorgasboard of different foods at the shelter and Samus was there for nearly a month. Her insides are probably all confused. We bought a lot of canned food, all different flavours. I may try and put a little of the chicken in with the seafood to see if she'll eat it that way.

DSC07503.jpg

Samus playing this evening. She will swat the toy but will not swat us. What a great kitty!

Random: Is it normal for a cat to run to the front door whenever there's a sound in the hallway? ..like a dog? I think I have a guard cat.

LOL mine do that. They either run to the door then run under the bed (stranger) or if they can tell its not a stranger they run to the door and stare at it until they come in.

Which is actually really cool because then I can always tell if there's a stranger in the hall or if its someone I know. :catsRsmrt:

Hah! See, I don't know if mine knows the difference. He just seems curious about any sounds. He runs to the door and then sits with his head and his ears up and alert. I just figured he was imitating the dog.

When Jim comes over they can hear him like all the way down the hall. I always know he's coming because the cats both go to the door and sit and stare it, then literally like 5 whole minutes later he comes in. :nerd:

When Jim comes over they can hear him like all the way down the hall. I always know he's coming because the cats both go to the door and sit and stare it, then literally like 5 whole minutes later he comes in. :nerd:

:hmm: They're good like that. I can hear Mofo "calling" when I walk in the front door of my building and go to check the mail. I figure he either knows it's me or has been at it all day, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom