For Cat Lovers Only XV - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has he gone pee in the litterbox? If you happen to notice he cant pee or anything like that.. you have to find an emergency vet. The fact that he was hissing when touched and hiding and not eating makes me think he's really uncomfortable and in pain, symptoms of a blocked cat. I sent you a rather lengthy pm on the subject. :reject:

how can I get Lily to cooperate to cut her nails? They are so long and I noticed she has a little cut on her chin. :( She let's me trim one or two at a time on the back paws without having to get someone to hold her, but nothing on the front. My sister usually holds her while I trim but since my sister moved away from Lily she's been really pissed off and can't stand being around my sister anymore when she visits. She doesn't like it when my sister picks her up. So I've had to get my mom to help. But she is afraid to hold Lily and isn't fast enough at finding her nails to get it done so we don't get much accomplished when my mom helps. Lily growls and bats her full front claws at all of us now. My sister and I used to be able to get this done when we all lived together but each time since last summer it's gotten harder. We tried this past Sunday and I could only get 1 front nail cut before Lily flipped. We don't give her treats on a regular basis so showing her the treat bag before doing her nails used to help out because she knew a treat was coming. But that doesn't work anymore. We got her a few different emery cat things but she won't play on them :sigh:

The fact that he was hissing when touched and hiding and not eating makes me think he's really uncomfortable and in pain, symptoms of a blocked cat.

He hissed at first, but he doesn't mind being handled at all now, and actually seems to enjoy the attention. Jess was petting him when we got home today, and he was purring, but still rather lethargic. He still leaned into the petting, and his bum rose a bit, like it always does. He doesn't mind being handled either, although he just sort of hangs in your arms.

He's not really hiding. He was sleeping on one of the beds yesterday, and he was sleeping out in the open on our bedroom floor today.

Oh good well hopefully its just a bug or something that can clear up on its own or with meds. Let us know what the vet says tomorrow.

Re: Nail clipping arw.. Zoey is the same way. She hisses, whines, growls, she totally hates me getting anywhere near her paws. :crack: I just try to do a few at a time quickly. Saki is great, he doesnt care at all. I actually don't trim the back claws because their back feed are really sensitive and I cant even touch them without them kicking me lol.

So, last night he seemed really bad. Almost no energy at all, and if you picked him up, he'd just hang limply from your grasp. His eyes looked really bad too. So, we made the decision to take him to a 24-hr emergency vet.

Since I HAD to get some sleep (between the snow and training, I've only been in the office for two full days out of the last two weeks, so I'm seriously back-logged), Jessica took him at midnight.

Sure enough, he was blocked up. His bladder was hard as a rock, and potassium readings on his kidneys were off the scale. Cost to "clean him up" = $3000-$4500. Jessica called me to "clear" it, and I told her to do whatever she had to do. I couldn't just sentence him to death.

After I hung up, I started to get really pissed off - probably a product of me being woken out of a sound sleep. I thought about how this basically kills our plans to see U2 this year, and how we're spending all this money on a cat who basically shows us zero affection and makes every effort too be on the opposite side of the house from us at all times. I know that probably sounds horrible to cat people, but your mind thinks funny things when you get woken out of a dead sleep.

When Jess got home, she had better news. The vet found a scab on his penis that was causing the problems, so the bill is going to be a lot lower. They're keeping him overnight to make sure he's ok, then we'll get to pick him up. So maybe the U2 plans aren't in jeopardy after all.

I want to say thanks to Sicy and everyone on the forum who provided input. Without it, we would never have know how serious his condition was, and he could have been dead this morning. I'm looking forward to having him back the way he was, even if it does mean we only get fleeting glimpses of him as he dashes around the house to get away from us. :lol:

Crap. Thank god you took him in! This is going to sound so ridiculous but after I pm'd you yesterday I was still worried about him, I dont know I just had this feeling ... and I kept picturing you taking him to the emergency vet. Then I kept shrugging it off because I thought I was being the paranoid over reacting crazy cat person as usual lol.

$3000 would probably be the cost of surgery to unblock a cat, of course that's higher at the emergency vet so if he doesnt need surgery that's really good news. Sometimes they can just flush them out with a catheter instead of surgery. I wont even ask how he got a scab on his penis :huh: I'm surprised he didnt lick at it or mess with it to get it off. Poor guy. Hope he gets better real quick.

Oh no, poor kitty. :( Glad you took him in, and glad to hear it won't be as financially painful as the initial estimate.

We're not out of the woods yet.

This morning he was stopped up again. The emergency vet thinks he has some sort of predisposed condition to this, which is why it keeps happening. Also, his bladder is now stretched out, which can lead to other complications.

Jess is transferring him to our usual vet now, who is apparently one of the best in the area (the emergency vet told us that). We'll see what he says.

But if he's going to get stopped up every night, I dunno what on earth we're gonna do. :(

Kelly is right they will probably put him on a special diet. Unfortunately this can be somewhat common in male cats. Neither of my cats have ever been blocked, but they've had the start of it and they've been on a special diet for urinary tract issues for years and have been doing good on it. I hope the news gets better. :(

Here's a site with some really good info.

Urinary Blockage

Occasionally the bladder over-stretches while it is blocked and is permanently damaged. Such cats require special medication to help them contract and empty their bladders normally. This is unusual but one should be aware of the possibility.

Separated feedings basically. Zoey and Saki are both on urinary tract RX diets but they're actually two different kinds of foods (which is really annoying) since Zoey's problem was more severe than Saki's her food is more 'potent' for the problem. I feed Saki on a high shelf in the bathroom because Zoey is clumsy and not a good climber so she cant get to it. Then I just try to monitor her food and if Saki goes near it I scold him and he whines because he immediately knows he's not supposed to eat it. But yeah it can be tricky.

We fed the guy first, kept his sister out of the hallway. Then when he was done his sister would get food. After a while she didn't even try anymore.

Figures, after a while she did try, and it turned out she didn't even like the food. :lol: All the effort for nothing!

Hope the special diet will help your boy. Several years ago, MrPurrl had a male cat that got FUS, and the special diet cat food helped him for the rest of his life. (The cat, that is.)

Yes, feeding them in separate places may be necessary. We have to feed Fergus in the breezeway with the door closed, or Callie will gobble up her food and then eat his!

Many hugs to you guys and your kitty. :hug:

Update: Sterling is eating and drinking now, but there's still a lot of blood in his urine.

Hal was in the office today and overheard me explaining the cat situation to a coworker. I'll spare you his asinine comments.

Fuck Hal. (I've read your past blog rants about him so I am not ashamed to say fuck him).

It's good that he's eating and drinking, he must be feeling better. Poor guy. Is he still at the vets? Did they give you any more details?

Hope Sterling gets better soon. :(

Cleo has well and truly settled in here, and is well and truly special - in a window licking kind of way. She's utterly nuts. Its been years since I ownded such a halfwit of a cat :lol: Her favourite trick is to climb up the door and cling so she can rubberneck on the street's happenings. I suspect she'd be a chronic killer of wildlife, or end up road kill, so she's never been allowed out. The screens are made of Crim Safe security mesh so she's rather adept at clutching on at the top. I clipped her claws yesterday to see if it made a difference, and also because she has left tiny holes in a few places on the new lounge, and she can still claw her way up to almost the top. She's such a dumbarse :laugh:

Update: Sterling is eating and drinking now, but there's still a lot of blood in his urine.

Hal was in the office today and overheard me explaining the cat situation to a coworker. I'll spare you his asinine comments.

Good that Sterling is eating and drinking; hopefully, the vet will figure out the blood in his urine and get that taken care of, too.

And I agree with the others: Fuck Hal. :angry:

Thank you all for your lovely, kind wishes! :heart:

I just got a report from the vet. The good news is he is eating and drinking, and overnight a lot of pee came out into the catheter. His heart and breathing are back to normal, and his kidney enzymes too, which apparently is miraculous, because they were so high at the emergency room that their machine couldn't even read them!

So he will stay with catheter tonight, and tomorrow he'll spend the day with no cateter to see if he can pee on his own, and then he'll come home Saturday. He has a 50/50 chance of either having his bladder stretched out beyond fixing, and also possibly getting this multiple times in the future, so we will have to cross those bridges later. Let's hope he comes out of this good as new (and before we are officially in the poorhouse!!!)

Hope everything turns out ok. A lot of cats have to live with this and its normally totally manageable with a special canned food diet / increase in water intake. :hug:

My biggest worry is our traveling. We have a two-week trip planned at the cottage this year. What if he gets a relapse during our trip and our cat-sitter doesn't notice the symptoms? Look at how two days tore him up. I shudder to image what would happen in two weeks.

Is your cat sitter a good friend or just someone that drops food in the bowls? I would literally sit down and have a meeting with whoever would be taking care of him and explain everything in as much detail as you can. Send them links, leave printouts at the house with all the info, vets phone numbers and addresses, etc and tell them exactly what to look for. I never recommend boarding a cat, but that would be an option if you were really worried. At least he'd be around people that are probably familiar with health issues in cats.

Maybe we can get my mom to live in our house for the two weeks we'd be away. That way he'd have someone 24/7. Plus, she loves our cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom