For Cat Lovers Only XV - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry about Fredo. :sad: :hug:

I took Alex to the vet Thursday. He's been losing weight, so they are running a test to see how his thyroid levels are. I'm actually hoping he has hyperthyroidism because that can be treated fairly easily with the cat still having a good quality of life. Some of the other possibilities for his symptoms (lymphoma, kidney disease) are much more frightening.

He was such a sweet cat there. Because he doesn't have his upper fangs anymore his tongue sticks out a little. It's so cute and he got a lot of attention and patting. He wasn't thrilled with getting blood drawn, but at other times he was purring and head-butting anyone who'd pat him. I think Alex gained some fans! :)

We have an unforeseen side-effect of Sterling's passing. Roxie, who Sterling used to keep occupied, is now bored witless. As a result, she just will. not. shut. up.

She meows pretty much with every exhaling breath, and she's not a quiet cat. With both of us at work all week, there just isn't much time to entertain her, so I think her incessant whining is about lack of attention.

Often, she meows all through the night, and right outside our door. Jessica manages to sleep through most of it, but I've lost countless hours of sleep to her, usually in the 3-6am range. I'm worried it's going to start affecting my work, and with me still being in my 1-yr probationary period, the consequences could be dire.

We need to figure out a way to get her to shut up, but I have no clue where to even start. I''d really rather not lock her in the basement every night, so if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

could it also be that she is searching for Sterling and that is part of her meowing at nite like that? I know they mourn just as we do.. She is definitely needing you guys I am sure too, that attention that she got from her buddy she has now placed on you two. I am not sure what you could do other than what you have mentioned here.. I understand you not wanting to do that but if it starts effecting your job then you definitely need figure out an alternative here..

I'll let the kitteh experts (Sicy,VP and Indra..) help ya here..

sorry about your dilema...

Beckham is very vocal, even with two other cats. He talks and howls and meows all day and night.

At night we sleep with a box fan on high. When it's not hot out, it's turned around so it blows against the wall. This easily drowns out the cat noises and also the dogs tossing and turning (they sleep in our room).

I know they mourn just as we do.

I sort of doubt she is mourning. He used to chase her around and bite wads of hair out of her. She spend most of her time hiding from him under a chair and hissing violently at him. They had times they got along, but most of it was fairly antagonistic. I get the feeling she tolerated him because there was no other choice. But he did keep her occupied, and now that she's no longer occupied, the whining ensues.

^well even with that kind of relationship, she had a companionship with Sterling so there is that and she is just looking for him maybe not so much mourning. Like I said it's probably part of the vocalness that is going on. But like lies said, maybe some kind of white noise is needed in your room to filter out her whining.

indra, I hope its nothing serious with Alex. *fingers crossed*

cydewaze, Roxie could very well be mourning him in her own twisted way, or at the very least she is looking for him and/or bored. It sounds like you keep her out of your room at night. Would she be quiet if you let her in? I know my guys tend to do their crazy meowing in the middle of the night too sometimes and it is annoying but they're nocturnal animals so its to be expected. I usually try to play with them really hard right before I go to bed, laser light, feather bird thing, get them all tired out so that they relax when its time for bed. Of course, one option would be to get another cat, I think one in the 5-7 month old range would be good, but of course I don't know if you're ready for that or even want that.

I got Posh in part to be a companion for Beckham, and it did work out really well (they got along and always played), but he's just always been a vocal cat, even that did not help his activity at night. My understanding is that cats are nocturnal, so I think it just depends on the temperament of the cat. Like dogs, they kind of are what they are and you can only change it so much. Beckham will sit there and meow for an hour straight even with two other companions and just having finished his meal. All three of mine are crazy active at night. I can vacuum before bed and wake up to tufts of hair all over.

We had a similar issue with Keto. If we closed the door and kept him out at night, he would cry and scratch at or under the door literally for hours trying to get in.

Its obviously their curious nature kicking in. Wherever a door's closed in the house, they have to get inside because God knows they could be missing out on a party :wink:

Now I just make him run like hell throughout the house and get him tired and panting. Then even when he's sleeping on the bed with us, he sleeps right through the night for the most part.

the only quirk is, He only sleeps on the bed with us in the winter and cold months, as soon as its nice outside he doesn't even bother to come upstairs at night.

It sounds like you keep her out of your room at night. Would she be quiet if you let her in?

Hahaha! Roxie in the bedroom = no sleep whatsoever. :lol:

We try letting her in every once in a while, and the following happens around once every 30 minutes:

- sniffing at our faces.
- kneading at us, randomly.
- meowing.
- nudging at our hands, wanting to be petted.
- licking Jessica's armpits (oh wait, that was Cricket, Jess's previous cat) :D

But no, she simply won't leave us alone, no matter what. She sleeps all day while we're at work, so when we're home sleeping, she's wide awake. She always wants to be petted, so if there's an exposed hand anywhere, she's after it, which wakes us up. There's no way to have her in the bedroom.

Paul,
If you have your door closed typically and she is outside your door maybe the white noise thing/fan would be something to try, also what about foam ear plugs? Or both the white noise and the ear plugs?

Ear plugs work, and sometimes they're the only answer, but....

1) I sleep on my side, so when I roll over, I wake up when the ear plug gets jammed into my brain, so I have to switch it to the other ear, and...

2) I don't fancy having to use earplugs to sleep for the rest of this cat's life.

i honestly don't think its going to be forever. Maybe she will quiet down when you and jess don't react to her in the middle of the night, she'll figure it out then or as someone suggested maybe a new companion will join the household and she will have a buddy.

Just try it for awhile (wear 2 ear plugs...no switching), the plugs and fan or maybe just the fan. A nice loud box fan. :D

hubby wears a foam ear plug every night, and it has never jammed into his brain that I know of.. hahaha ( I kinda grind my teeth at night :reject:)

She actually sounds really sweet. I would love if my cats were that affectionate.

Just try it for awhile (wear 2 ear plugs...no switching),

I've tried that. It's really, REALLY uncomfortable.

She actually sounds really sweet. I would love if my cats were that affectionate.

A few weeks without sleep, and it gets to be not so sweet, especially when you zone out when the Associate Administrator is talking to you (who happens to be around three steps removed from the US Secretary of Transportation).

It's all fun and games until you get fired and lose your house.

Is it too soon to consider another kitty? :shrug:

Are there cat videos Roxie can watch while you are asleep to keep her amused? :hmm:

I've tried that. It's really, REALLY uncomfortable.

A few weeks without sleep, and it gets to be not so sweet, especially when you zone out when the Associate Administrator is talking to you (who happens to be around three steps removed from the US Secretary of Transportation).

well, ok.. then try the fan in the room... Or try the putting her in the basement? I know you don't like that idea but maybe a night or two to see how it goes. It seems like you don't have many options to work with.. I am real sorry.. Just trying to help. :shrug:

Yeah have you tried the fan? I'm so used to it, I can't sleep with out it. I take a small one along any time we travel.

The only thing it hasn't worked for was a seven week old German Shepherd being removed from momma and nine littermates. Yeah, that was the Week From Hell. Seven hours of SCREAMING every night. Ten cats could not compare...

Erm ok that's a bit over dramatic dont you think?

This is pretty much normal cat behavior to be honest. It's just part of being a cat owner.

Buy her some interactive toys that she can play with by herself. Examples.

Turbo%20scratcher1.jpg

pPETS-3760370t400.jpg

Yeah have you tried the fan?

No, but it sounds like a really good idea, and is worth a try.

Erm ok that's a bit over dramatic dont you think?

It's no worse than someone telling you that part of being a cat owner is never getting to sleep again. :tongue:

We have a turbo scratcher (the round green thing with the ball). It was Sterling's fav toy, but Roxie ignores it. The other one might be up her alley though.

She's really hard to buy toys for. She gets bored with things so easily. She even stops chasing the laser pen after a few minutes. I think what she really wants is to be petted 24/7, but we obviously can't do that because we work and sleep, so she sleeps when we're at work and is wired up all night.

I wish there was some way to keep her occupied during the day so she'd sleep at night, but maybe trying to reprogram a cat is impossible.

I think what she really wants is to be petted 24/7

This describes Maurice exactly. It's all he wants in life. He is in the lap of strangers and friends alike within moments of them walking thru the door, or he is sitting in front of you meowing for attention, if you move, he will chase you down and continue. You could pet him for an hour and stop and he'll be like WHAT? ALREADY? He sleeps in the garage at night with his bed and everything he needs. Honestly tho I think he actually sleeps all night, but then he's older, and I can't remember if your cat is young... could make a difference. I think the basement might be your best choice if you give her things to do... maybe put different things in there that she does not have access to during the day?

I must be really lucky because neither of our cats are a problem at night. Ginger is busy clinging to my daughter like velcro and Lucy sleeps. I don't allow cats in my bedroom but on rare occasions Lucy will be allowed on her blankie. I am convinced she knows this word because when I ask if she wants to go on the blankie she runs in, jumps on it and never leaves it. She just rolls and rolls.

She is not allowed to spend the night on the blankie. She usually sleeps in the hallway outside my door, which is where her new Thing (cat tree) is. In the morning when I go downstairs for coffee she is almost always in the hallway stretching as if she was waiting for me and then she follows me downstairs. Our stairs go up one way and then up another way, with a landing halfway. She always stops right before the landing for a quick scratch on her head. Every time. It makes me laugh. Then I fill her dish with nummers and our day begins.

Paul, I was really sorry to hear about Sterling :(

Aww it makes me sad that some people dont let their kitties in the bedroom at night but I can understand the reasoning. For me personally I just cant imagine not having them in my room. I love to wake up to Saki licking my earlobe and purring in my face. It can be annoying sometimes but most of the time its so cute I cant help but melt. Depending on how I'm laying he will usually put his paws over my arms and rest his face against my face. Something about waking up to this is just so sweet and I cant help but love it. :love:

If you saw some of the damage they've done to the rest of my house and furniture you would see why I don't want them in my room. I think you have two of the most well behaved cats I've ever seen. I am not so lucky. I bought new couches last year and they now have tin foil taped to the sides because Ginger and Lucy were having a giant free-for-all scratching on them. I have to peel it off and re-tape it when I have company. Some of my door frames look like apple cores.

I have provided them with other things to scratch: hanging scratchers, floor scratchers, old shoes, carpet remnants, they just prefer my house, especially the stairs. My stairs have been scratched so much some of them are fluffy. Although, I do see Lucy scratching her new Thing now so maybe that will help stop them from scratching my house into a pile of splinters.

Lucy also loves to tip things. She'll jump up onto anything if she sees a glass of liquid and then she'll tip it with her paw and walk away. She also likes to tip vases full of flowers and empty cups but when they're filled is when she really digs it. Maybe she likes watching the liquid spill out, who knows. I have to make sure no one leaves anything anywhere. I've often discovered ruined paperwork, puddles perilously close to computers and phones, stains on the carpet that weren't there the night before, etc.

Don't feel bad for these cats, they have a two-story house to roam freely and two other bedrooms to choose from. Believe me, they are pampered enough with having to be in my beautiful master bedroom (and that's why it's still beautiful - because they aren't in it).

:wink:

we have lucked out I guess both isabella and now Nochi are great at night.. No fussing or destroying furniture and stuff. Nochi, who is not quite a year old even is content at night. She wonders the house while we sleep but we never hear anything and then she just curls up at my feet on the bed every night and sleeps promptly getting up with whomever gets up first so she can be fed.

I can't imagine locking Miep out of the bedroom either. She sleeps right next to me so often, just purring. :lol: not to mention when you lock her out she'll scratch your door until you give in!

If you saw some of the damage they've done to the rest of my house and furniture you would see why I don't want them in my room. I think you have two of the most well behaved cats I've ever seen.

Aw they say thanks. :wink: Maybe its because I don't have much for them to destroy. My place is super small. And my couch is suede-like so they don't have any interest in scratching it. Plus I have like 5 cat trees :reject: so they have NO excuse to destroy anything lol.

Maurice was originally banished at night because of his eating disorder... and what I mean by that is him eating every houseplant, newspaper, wicker, plastic, foil, cellophane, ribbon, string, packing tape... I could go on... but you get the idea! He at first found a few things to eat out there but once they were removed it was okay and now he doesn't really try to eat stuff out there anymore. However when he's in the house, he will still try the first chance he gets! (Mostly the houseplants were the problem since most other things aren't usually around for him to get, but the husband had all the houseplants before we surprised him and brought home Maurice one day)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom