For Cat Lovers Only X - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc. - Page 62 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #916
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Oh ya definitely get him a cat tree They LOVE them. Mine are on theirs all the time.
Right now he loves to hide in a couple boxes my mom sent for care packages. He wore one out so much that it collapsed around him This one is still cozy enough, I guess:

Old 05-03-2008, 01:56 AM   #917
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:33 AM

Hooray for photoshop!

Old 05-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #918
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:33 AM
Quote:

Hooray for photoshop!

Look at the snowshoe paws on that kitteh--how cute!
Old 05-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #919
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Managed to get all kittens claws clipped today. Whoo Hoo!
No more blood being spilled for these little stinkers.

Jack went with his soon to be new mom for the afternoon.
I'm having a bit of separation anxiety..
Jack, now Snowball, is really my favorite. I already miss him

My neighbor fell out laughing yesterday, when I used a hand truck to bring in a 30lb container of cat litter. But it was on sale for only a couple of $'s more than the smaller size I usually buy. I had to get it.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #920
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by sue4u2
Managed to get all kittens claws clipped today. Whoo Hoo!
No more blood being spilled for these little stinkers.

Jack went with his soon to be new mom for the afternoon.
I'm having a bit of separation anxiety..
Jack, now Snowball, is really my favorite. I already miss him

My neighbor fell out laughing yesterday, when I used a hand truck to bring in a 30lb container of cat litter. But it was on sale for only a couple of $'s more than the smaller size I usually buy. I had to get it.

I have to start looking for homes for the ones we're not keeping in the next week or so. I think my daughter's dad may be taking one (skinny tux...they already have a cat), but I have no idea about the two tabby boys. I really, really want to find a home that will take both of them.

We clip their nails once a week, we could barely handle them if we didn't! It's much easier with two people, but almost all of them will calmly let us do it, as long as we don't try when they're in a hyper mood. Gotta get them during the (rare) times when they're calm and relaxed.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:20 PM   #921
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I just wanted to say to both of you that its SO GOOD that you are clipping their nails now when they are young. That way they will be used to it when they're older. Zoey is a humongous pain in the butt to clip her nails. She acts like I'm killing her. I didn't get her until she was 9 months. Saki could care less and lets me clip his nails all the time. And him I started when he was just 12 weeks so I think it really makes a difference when you start young!
Old 05-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #922
Blue Crack Supplier

Same here--Fergus usually just lies there like he's thinking, "Whatever . . . ." Callie, on the other hand (whom we got from the Humane Society when she was "about two" three years ago), howls and hisses like a banshee. We usually end up taking her to PetSmart. We did, however, get her front ones over the weekend by my holding/scruffing her, and MrPurrl doing the clipping. So there is hope!
Old 05-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #923
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I ask Brianne, Jacks new mommie, to drop off Jack before school because I didn't want him staying there all day by himself. She did and when I left he was sprinting up and down the hallway. She said he did good last night, didn't cry hardly at all.
Poor Bela was full of milk this morning since Rose spent the night with her new mommie also.
But I'm sure they took care of that today.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #924
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
I just wanted to say to both of you that its SO GOOD that you are clipping their nails now when they are young. That way they will be used to it when they're older. Zoey is a humongous pain in the butt to clip her nails. She acts like I'm killing her. I didn't get her until she was 9 months. Saki could care less and lets me clip his nails all the time. And him I started when he was just 12 weeks so I think it really makes a difference when you start young!
It's a matter of self-preservation. If I didn't clip them, my arms and legs would be bloody stumps.

I still haven't attempted to do Kitty yet. I don't think she'll sit calmly and let us do it, I'm sure we'll have to scruff her.

Question - when you clip the nails of adult cats, does that lessen the damage they do from scratching furniture? We got her a relatively small scratching post when we first got her. Despite our valiant efforts, she refused to use it, and preferred using a corner of the sofa instead. The sofa needs to be replaced soon so it's not *that* big of a deal, but I'm more concerned with what will happen when I get new furniture. On a positive note, we ended up putting the scratching post in the room with the kittens. At first they just played with it, climbing on it and such, but for the past several weeks, they've been using it to scratch. since they started to use it, Kitty has too, and now she rarely scratches the sofa these days.

I'm pleased to report that I found a less expensive but still very reputable vet to spay Kitty! It's going to be just over $200, as opposed to close to $400 for the other ones I called. In addition, they offer multi-pet discounts! I was so excited when I heard that, I nearly squealed. So, I'm taking the four of them in in a week for exams and vaccinations, and instead of paying for 4 exams, I'll only have to pay for like 1 and a half exams, plus the vaccines. The only negative is that they're really busy now (it's heartworm season for dogs), and as I said, I can't get them in till next week for the exams, and Kitty can't be spayed till 10 days after that. So, that's like 17 more days of howling all night. Give me strength.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #925
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Monkey see monkey do

I have a couch that is kind of like a suede, and the cats could care less about it. I think it depends on the material. But yeah, if their nails are kept short they wont be razor sharp and that's what makes the most damage I think.

Good news about the spaying
Old 05-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #926
Blue Crack Distributor

Help me, cat lovers, you're my only hope!

When your kitty gets a little cold (sniffles, sneezes, a little extra gunk around the eyes), at what point do you take them to the vet?

Do you go right away, or wait a day or two to see if it clears up on its own?

She's been sniffly/sneezy since last night. A little less rambunctious, but still alert. Is eating/drinking as normal so far.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #927
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Can you tell if she feels warmer that usual? If she is listless for more than a two or three of days and doesn't eat, then I would take her to the vet. Fever is really devasting to a kitten or young cat and they can go downhill quickly, much like a baby.
Also keep in mind if you've used a different cat litter, that can cause alergic reaction's sometimes.
When I changed litter because the store didn't have what I had been buying, Maxie (one of the kittens) began sneezing and had watery eyes seemed listless. She didn't have any fever so chalked it up to the change in litter. It didn't last more than about a day and 1/2. I chucked the litter, and she's fine.
That's one reason why I bought the 30lb bucket last weekend so it doesn't happen anytime soon.

Here is a site I've gone too about cats and colds:

http://petcaretips.net/cat_cold.html
Just like in humans, a cat cold will last from 7 to 10 days.

Many cats will also refuse to eat when having a cold.
One reason for this is that cats like to smell their food first,
and with a runny nose, it's rather hard to pick up the scent.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #928
Blue Crack Distributor

Thanks for the tip. She doesn't seem very warm at all. she's napping now, and has stopped sneezing every three minutes. For all I know, she was fine all day and only started up when I came home!

I just wanted confirmation that unless something seems REALLY off, I was okay waiting a few days to see how it goes.

Same litter, too. I've alternated between two different kinds (whichever is on sale), and she's fine with both.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #929
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
For all I know, she was fine all day and only started up when I came home!
Uh Oh - that's a bigger problem..
I edited my response with a link if you want to check it out.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #930
Blue Crack Distributor

Ha ha, that's funny - I did a Google search when I came home, and that's one of the first bits I read.

I think I just wanted an actual human telling me "it's okay to wait a few days and keep a close eye on her."