For Cat Lovers Only X - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc. - Page 61 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #901
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:57 AM
Jeezus - did anyone else have computer problems after visiting that celebrity cat site?
For the last hour I couldn't type, all the keys opened different tabs or windows and I had to click on each individual tab to even get to the threads. But still I couldn't type.
Couldn't even do a system restore.
I ran a virus scan and nothing showed up.
I shut down and rebooted and the proper fuctions came back. Damn that was weird.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #902
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:57 AM
^ YES! wtf

By the way, has anyone else had trouble with their cat chewing everything and ANYTHING? Especially dangly things like drawstrings, blind chords, headphones, iPod charger chords.. What can I do to discourage this?

Old 05-02-2008, 12:14 AM   #903
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Ok I'm glad I didnt go to that site

A couple of tips for chewing cats.

Bitter apple spray - this is one of the best deterrents that is made for dogs/cats. Most dogs/cats will not chew on something sprayed with it.

Cover what the cat is chewing on (phone or computer cords). You can buy cord protecters (like a long tube).Move the object. Another great way to stop the chewing is to remove the object altogether for a time. Return it when the cat appears more settled. If the cat takes to chewing something else as a substitute, use a different deterrent such as the repellent odor.

Distract your cat. Place cat-friendly plants in pots or in the garden to distract your cat to something more pleasurable. Plants to choose include lemongrass, catnip, catmint etc. Hopefully, the cat will take to chewing on these instead of the object if it takes a liking to the plant. Make sure to introduce the cat to the plant!

Find an alternative chewing buddy. Substitute the object with something else, such as an old bath towel or mat, a scratching board, toys, yarn etc. Something it can either sink its teeth and claws into that will amuse it endlessly.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #904
Blue Crack Distributor

Hmm I had no trouble with that website. Weird!

Maurice is a plant eater And also any other weird stuff eater. And he doesn't just chew he swallows. He has to sleep in our garage at night (where we've made him a nice large bed and breakfast area off the ground) because we can't trust him in the house unsupervised. If it's a plant he'll eat it (except outside he only eats grass). When we first got him I had heavy packing tape covering a tear in something, it was alot of tape (I'm talking a ball the size of your fist when all scrunched up). He managed to tear all of it off and eat it all. It came out eventually but it was not a pretty sight. He doesn't seem to be as bad about it as he gets older now but we try to keep anything that's not nailed down to the ground away from him. LOL.
Oh yeah, and add paper to the list... he cannot be trusted with paper or down it goes.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #905
Blue Crack Supplier

Another no-no at our house: icicles/tinsel on Christmas trees - those long silver strands. You haven't lived until you've had to pull out one of those that's half-way out of your cat's butt.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #906
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:57 AM
I've tried distracting him with toys and a scratching post. I think part of it might be boredom. He was a stray - obviously an outdoor kitty - all his life, so I often see him stalk and pounce on things before he starts chewing them. I was thinking of getting him a cat tree that he can sit by the window. He looooves to watch birds fly by.

Otherwise I'm just trying to put stuff away or out of reach. He's such a little butthead
Old 05-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #907
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Oh ya definitely get him a cat tree They LOVE them. Mine are on theirs all the time.

I have like 5 of them in my tiny apt.

I also have 2 window perches for them too.

Look at the freakin cat hair on the drapes
Old 05-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #908
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Oh ya definitely get him a cat tree They LOVE them. Mine are on theirs all the time.

I have like 5 of them in my tiny apt.

Sicy, is that just carpeting covering that one?

:getsouthammerandnails:

Also, thanks for the advice re: preventing biting. That's one of the reasons I still have the kittens confined to one room, I'm terrified of them biting power cords, and there are tons of them around here that are impossible to hide.

Eta - I like your litter box. Is it good at preventing the litter from being tracked all over the carpet?
Old 05-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #909
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Well you could make your own cat tree if you want. It's too much work for me

But you can search online for tutorials or directions on how to make one

Where is my litterbox
Old 05-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #910
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Well you could make your own cat tree if you want. It's too much work for me

But you can search online for tutorials or directions on how to make one

Where is my litterbox
I never thought of looking online! I've seen ones similar in stores, and they're over $100. I'm sure I could make one for a fraction of that.

The litter box is in the picture with your patio doors. That is a litter box, right?
Old 05-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #911
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I got the little pink one and the little tan one on ebay, $30 and $40

The green thing? That's not my litterbox That's a turbo ball cat scratcher thing.

Here's my litterbox

Old 05-02-2008, 07:49 PM   #912
Blue Crack Distributor

I have no idea what a turbo ball scratcher thing is. The pet stores around here *really* suck. Very small selection of cat toys. I even went looking at WalMart here a few weeks ago, but they had nothing. There's a PetSmart about 45 minutes away. I need to go there and check it out, I'm sure they must have a better selection.

Yeah, I think I will attempt to build a cat tree similar to the one of yours I copied and pasted, it can't be that hard. I want one that's fairly high, because they all love to climb.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #913
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 06:57 PM
Quote:

Look at the freakin cat hair on the drapes
we have the same problem at our house but I never really notice it until we have visitors. . . .
Old 05-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #914
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Oh how I wish I had a cat tree now. These kittens love to catch me off guard and run up my legs. Even with jeans on it feels like needles - then when I pull them off on reflex, they scratch the hell out of me.
I managed to get Rose's claws clipped last night, but Maxie and Jack won't let me and it's too risky with them moving around so much besides my arms just end up looking like I've been cutting myself. I'll have to get help with the other 2.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #915
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 04:57 AM
My sister just commented that she also has the "cat hair on the drapes" problem

Me, I have cat hair on the bed . She's not shedding as much as she was a few weeks ago though, thank goodness.

Sorry about the problems with the celebrity cat quiz It was from Catster, so I though it was okay.