For Cat Lovers Only X - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:love: this is such a great thread!
I don't post often but I love watching the kitty pics and hearing you gals's stories...
Glad your cat came back Sue :lol: and it sure would've been a nice video!

She moved them again last night. :scream:

Beside my closet I have an antique dresser that's maybe 2 inches off the floor. I heard the sound of just one kitten crying very loudly, and I ran up to investigate. Somehow, she'd and the kitten were both under the dresser! The huge problem with this, beside the fact that it's under a dresser, is that my bedroom floor is freezing cold. I took the kitten out and put it back in the box in the closet, and then she managed to get out herself, somehow.

I went back downstairs and waited. About 20 minutes later, I head the same sound, went back up, and she was in the midst of trying to get another kitten under the dresser. I went and got the covered litter box she gave birth to them in and set it beside the dresser, and put the kitten in. The cat couldn't even get out from under the dresser this time, I had to tip it back to make room for her.

I went back downstairs and waited. I could hear each kitten crying as she was moving it. Thankfully, when I went back to check a while later, she put the rest of them in the litter box.

One of the problems with the litter box is that there's not enough room for her to stretch out and feed them all at one time.

Is she going to be doing this every two days now, hiding them in some weird place?? :scream: :scream:

She still seems completely fine when we're around them, not bothered at all. Most places online say that the mother will move her babies if she feels they're unsafe. This doesn't seem to be the case with her, though. :huh: I have found a few things though that say they'll move them regardless, just because of instinct:

In the wild, a cat will move her kittens frequently during their first few weeks of life. This is to stop predators from finding her and her family. Some mother cats do this even in the happiest and safest of domestic situations. It is not unusual to see a mother pick the kittens up one by one and take them off to a new place. Mother cats pick the kittens up by the scruff of their necks, and the kittens naturally go limp. This can appear distressing to owners, but it's entirely natural. Some owners reduce the opportunity for the mother cat to move her kittens by keeping them in a restricted space, for instance a small bedroom or warm utility room.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Cuteness overload :combust:

Some new pics of Ms Mia :heart:

001.jpg

003.jpg

She wanted to know if Bono was ok. :sad: ;)

awww!!:cute: lookie at ms mia.. :wink:

:lmao: on her concern for bono........................:giggle:

U2Fanatic4ever said:
Lies,
Beckham is so handsome! :ohmy:

I too, wonderin how you get him to pose that way too.. He's modeling for ya.. :D

LOL, a dog came through the door so he was keeping a suspicious eye out!

VintagePunk said:
She moved them again last night. :scream:

Beside my closet I have an antique dresser that's maybe 2 inches off the floor. I heard the sound of just one kitten crying very loudly, and I ran up to investigate. Somehow, she'd and the kitten were both under the dresser! The huge problem with this, beside the fact that it's under a dresser, is that my bedroom floor is freezing cold. I took the kitten out and put it back in the box in the closet, and then she managed to get out herself, somehow.

I went back downstairs and waited. About 20 minutes later, I head the same sound, went back up, and she was in the midst of trying to get another kitten under the dresser. I went and got the covered litter box she gave birth to them in and set it beside the dresser, and put the kitten in. The cat couldn't even get out from under the dresser this time, I had to tip it back to make room for her.

I went back downstairs and waited. I could hear each kitten crying as she was moving it. Thankfully, when I went back to check a while later, she put the rest of them in the litter box.

One of the problems with the litter box is that there's not enough room for her to stretch out and feed them all at one time.

Is she going to be doing this every two days now, hiding them in some weird place?? :scream: :scream:

She still seems completely fine when we're around them, not bothered at all. Most places online say that the mother will move her babies if she feels they're unsafe. This doesn't seem to be the case with her, though. :huh: I have found a few things though that say they'll move them regardless, just because of instinct:

The importance of kitten proofing.....

Block all small spaces with towels, clothes, whatever you have to do. Make the room completely safe for the mom and kittens. Try putting other things like large boxes and such so that if she moves them it will be somewhere safe.

:hug:

And Beckham is just so gorgeous :love:

Oh Liesje.. Beckham is so beautiful and regal. Feline royalty for sure. :wink:

and those kittens VP :love: are just scrumptious.. That reminds me of when we were kids - all the mommy cat's we had moved their kittens all over the place. We would find them in the oddest places. Or not find them for days.. sometimes.
I can also understand how someon could find themselves with mutiple cats. All my sister did was ask me to take a kitten she had rescued. Never got that one but since then I have become surrounded by cats. :ohmy:
and Lovey kept me up all night last night meowing and waking me up at all hours. I feel so sorry for her. But she goes in the spare room tonight and Bela can stay out. I need my rest :wink:
Lovey was rolling around under my keyboard a few minutes ago and the next thing I knew she had grabbed my leg with claws out. She never does that!!. Nearly jumped out of my chair and actually screamed, what are you doing!! She just looked at me like What!! and held on. that smarts.. Now she's trying to walk across my keyboard. Silly cat..
My sister took pics with her digital camera, and was suppose to email them to me. I need to call her. I want to post an updated pic of Bela and Lovey, who's name I'm thinking of changing when I can think of what I want to call her besides Lovey. I actually still like Johnny (when I thought she was a he) only spell it with an i. ;)

sue4u2 said:
I was leaving tonight to catch U23D one last time before it leaves town, and who was outside... BELA!! :hyper:
Here I was trying to keep Lovey inside while I shut the door and Bela is outside meowing at me like what? repalced me so soon. Lovey came out and started walking around her and they both started hissing at each other.
I'm about to have a housefull of cats, literally. Bela is definitely pregnant and I'm still not sure about Lovey.
I'm so happy she's back but I have to keep her in the back room so she can eat and Lovey will leave her alone.
The piece of her foot that was injured has come off. Everything looks fine as far as I can tell, but she doesn't want me to hold her it seems, so I haven't looked at it good. Just got back from the movie so I've got to figure out another litter box as well as inspect Bela closer. She hasn't been taken care of and looks like she's been outside alot. I'm letting her eat and letting Lovey calm down. All I can say is: oh my. what now. :ohmy:

P.S. - Kelly that was the cutest video. :love:

Oh wow!!!!! I'm so happy for you! That relief is overwhelming when they come back, isn't it!! I really believed that she has been watching you this whole time, watching and waiting. Cats really don't often go far when they go missing. Sometimes they will, but the odds are always that they are close by rather than taking off. Everything will work out now. That is great news!

:)

ylimeU2 said:
Kittens. :cute: I want all of them. And that is too funn she had them in the litterbox. That is just like a cat. :lol:

My brother's new cat had kittens not too long ago. He got the cat from a friend of his that was moving and the friend failed to mention she was an unfixed female that happened to be pregnant. He is trying to find homes for them, but if he can't, he is going to keep them. There are only three, so I guess that wouldn't be too hard for him. I'm considering taking the black, TV remote hogging one. :uhoh:

100_0492.jpg

100_0498.jpg

100_0493.jpg

:sad: I want them all!!! That is... too much cuteness. :love: They look mighty cheeky.
:cute:

sue4u2 said:
Oh my God!! I wish someone could have video taped me this evening when I came in.
There were 2 male cats on the stairs outside my apartment and to females in heat inside. :yikes:
All just waiting for me to let them in or out. One of the males followed me to the door and tried to get in. I was blocking him with my purse while Lovey was trying to get out. Another male was watching from the yard.
Lovey got past me and this male cat immediately pounce on her while I was grabbing for her. He was actually mounting her while I was trying to pick her up. :lol:
I got her inside with this other male following and Lovey trying to get out of my arms. I moved him out with my foot and slammed the door.
I had to bring Bela out of the spare room (who was rolling around on the floor like, here I am come and get me) to stop Lovey from meowing to get out. The window was raised and she was trying to push out the screen.
I could have won the prize on americas funniest home videos with that scene. :crazy:
Bela is being spayed next week and I'm setting up an appointment for Lovey.
I feel like I'm running a cat brothel.. :yes:

:lmao:

These kittens made me want another, but I found out my local zoning limit is three. Guess I'm done for now :(

VintagePunk said:

:ohmy: How many do you have?

I certainly understand now how people can end up with many more cats than they'd intended. :lol:

I had to do a quick check to see if there was a limit to how many I could have here before I answered. Can't find any (there isn't for dogs either). Whew! :shifty:

I have 10 cats (and one poor overwhelmed dog :D ), and sometimes my brother's/niece's cat (Spunky Butt) comes over to stay for a while and hang out with the other cats.

It's not really my fault -- they were all strays and I just couldn't send them off when they were hungry and cold and pitiful. I'm such a sucker.

Here's a pic (it's blurry as all heck though...sorry about that) of Miss Myrrh when she first arrived a little more than three years ago.

missmyrrhkitten.jpg

It was cold and dark and miserable outside when the dog alerted me to this horrible little intruder (Zeke is on the melodramatic side) and I went out and found this poor tiny skinny little thing. Of course I brought her in. She was not only very skinny, but also sick. For the first few days I really didn't think she was going to make it she was so sick. I took her to the vet and got medicine for her but she was so tiny and so very sick I really feared for her. Then when I was sure she was pretty much done for I went in to check on her and when I did she woke up, staggered to her feet, looked around and said "where's the food?" I thought "Huh, guess she's going to live." :) That pic was when I first brought her in -- she actually looked worse two or three days later (because of her illness), but I didn't get any pics then..

It took her almost a year to decide she liked me (she loves me a lot now :) ), and I think the only other cat she likes is Loki and even he is apt to get a smack if she's in one of her moods. She dislikes Spunky Butt intensely and will chase him down and smack the snot out of him even though he is more than twice her size. She's a little terror but I love her. :yes:

Last edited:
Liesje said:
These kittens made me want another, but I found out my local zoning limit is three. Guess I'm done for now :(

Zoning limit? That's interesting. I guess it makes sense in some areas.

The kittens make me want another too, but I don't want to upset Chloe.

indra said:

I had to do a quick check to see if there was a limit to how many I could have here before I answered. Can't find any (there isn't for dogs either). Whew! :shifty:

I have 10 cats (and one poor overwhelmed dog :D ), and sometimes my brother's/niece's cat (Spunky Butt) comes over to stay for a while and hang out with the other cats.

It's not really my fault -- they were all strays and I just couldn't send them off when they were hungry and cold and pitiful. I'm such a sucker.

Here's a pic (it's blurry as all heck though...sorry about that) of Miss Myrrh when she first arrived a little more than three years ago.

missmyrrhkitten.jpg

It was cold and dark and miserable outside when the dog alerted me to this horrible little intruder (Zeke is on the melodramatic side) and I went out and found this poor tiny skinny little thing. Of course I brought her in. She was not only very skinny, but also sick. For the first few days I really didn't think she was going to make it she was so sick. I took her to the vet and got medicine for her but she was so tiny and so very sick I really feared for her. Then when I was sure she was pretty much done for I went in to check on her and when I did she woke up, staggered to her feet, looked around and said "where's the food?" I thought "Huh, guess she's going to live." :) That pic was when I first brought her in -- she actually looked worse two or three days later (because of her illness), but I didn't get any pics then..

It took her almost a year to decide she liked me (she loves me a lot now :) ), and I think the only other cat she likes is Loki and even he is apt to get a smack if she's in one of her moods. She dislikes Spunky Butt intensely and will chase him down and smack the snot out of him even though he is more than twice her size. She's a little terror but I love her.

Awww, what an amazing story! :heart:

Speaking of taking in strays and zoning regulations, I've been reading something tonight that I'm so upset and angry about.

This is going to be a long rant, because I'm pissed...

Just over a week ago in our local news, there was a story about a man who lives on the ground floor of an apartment complex. He has 3 cats of his own and was taking care of his mother's cat. As well, he's been feeding 4 strays on his balcony, and has set up a small makeshift shelter for them to protect them from the winter weather - and the past month has been brutal, one of the worst winters in decades here.

Neighbours complained, and he's being fined and being made to give up one of his indoor cats, and he was told to stop feeding the strays. Apparently we have a 3 cat limit too, but an SPCA official has said that it's not acted upon unless there are complaints.

I was catching up on some of the letters to the editor about this story from the past week. One woman stated that she lives in the same neighbourhood as this man, and that she chooses not to own pets, but still must suffer the consequences of others who do - cat excrement in gardens, males spraying against her house, etc. She reasoned that if the strays were not fed, they would move on to another neighbourhood. Um, hello? Starving these 4 cats is not going to solve your problem, lady. :mad:

Other letters pointed out how the lack of a low-cost spay-neuter program in this area is exacerbating the situation. Some described programs in other areas that have capture and release programs to spay/neuter strays and feral cats. A nearby city spent thousands of dollars to launch a project encouraging people to bring in strays. Of the several hundred that were brought in, and all but two were euthanized. :sad:

Some stats were given about our local SPCA - I think it said that 60% of cats brought in for whatever reason are euthanized. It also said that they are not government funded in any way, they rely on donations. I also know from checking their website that they charge well over $100 to adopt a cat. I've dealt with them in the past, and they are hugely ineffectual and inefficient.

Wtf?? I don't live in the back woods, or anything, I live in a city of 100,000 about 90 minutes from Toronto.

Conversely, the Toronto Humane Society has a policy of NO euthanizing, unless the animal is terminally ill and they can't do anything for them. Also, although they do have an involved adoption process, including an interview (when we adopted our pup from our local SPCA, we basically paid and left with her - no interview! ), their adoptions for all animals are free, they only request a donation. Like our SPCA, they rely on donations and volunteers to keep their facility operating. For example, here is their policy about feral cats: http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/feline/feral.asp

I can't praise the Toronto SPCA enough for their approach to animals. Our local shelter is light years away from their approach. I can't help but think that if our local SPCA would follow the same model as the Toronto one, people would be more willing to donate their money and time, and dogs and cats could be spayed and neutered, go to good families, and live out their lives happy and loved. It's just so fucking discouraging and sad to hear all of this about my own area, and I wish I had the knowledge or resources to do something about it. :( :mad:

Last edited:
Lots going on lately.

Sue, I'm glad to hear Bela is back. I'm sure she and Lovey will settle in together soon enough. The spaying will help with that.

VP, those kittens are beyond adorable. :cute: They grow so fast, it is amazing. Thanks for sharing the pics.

LMPA, Mia is so cute. I love the spot on her nose.

Kitties :heart:

Liesje said:

It is the same here, too. I guess I won't be taking one of my brother's kittens after all. Which might be for the best. My three can be a real handful. I've walked into a destroyed house a few times. :lol:

He has found home for the two grey tabbies, and he's become rather attached to the black one, so he is going to keep her. He named her Cleopatra.

ylimeU2 said:
Lots going on lately.

Sue, I'm glad to hear Bela is back. I'm sure she and Lovey will settle in together soon enough. The spaying will help with that.
Kitties :heart:

Thanks ylime, I'm really looking forward to that.. I actually had them together in the same room this morning. Bela was lying on the bed and I picked up Lovey and sat on the bed with her. Bela looked but didn't growl so that was progress.
I put Lovey down and she promply jumped back up on the bed, Of course that freaked Bela out - she spit at hissed really loud and Lovey went running.
She wants to be friends but Bela isn't ready to be all lovey dovey yet..

Angela H - and all others :hug: for all the well wishes..

Regarding how many cats: I'm trying to be really discrete (haha) because actually I don't think I'm allowed to have pets, period. So far management hasn't said anything but it could come up.. Doesn't help when both of them are in heat and other cats are hanging around outside. :ohmy: And there's Lovey meowing for the last 4 days - and LOUDLY! at times. :crazy:

Loving all these kitten pics, too.. :heart:

U2democrat said:

Zoning limit? That's interesting. I guess it makes sense in some areas.

Yes, many cities and townships have limits. I have to be up on these things since I rent. It's not only my ass on the line but my landlord's! The police won't come over and check, but say my neighbors complained about cat urine smell or barking dogs, the AC would make a house call and if I had too many I would have to get rid of some. In Kentwood, where we technically live, it's 3 cats, 3 dogs. In Grand Rapids there's no limit on cats or dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom