For Cat Lovers Only X - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc. - Page 59 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #871
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:21 PM
My brother lives out in the country and thinks it is perfectly okay to let Miss Blizzie outside because "she can outrun a coyote."

Old 04-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #872
Blue Crack Addict

Heh. My cats can't even outrun each other. Cats are a favorite snack for coyotes.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #873
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Old 04-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #874
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
Cats are a favorite snack for coyotes.

I didn't know THAT.

Being half science-buff, and even with watching tons of Nature shows over decades-- I never thought about what a domestic pet like a cat (or dog) would be prey for! Probably didn't WANT to think about that even as a person who owns know pets.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #875
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm getting a whole cat as pet education here!

I did think about the neutered male (outdoor, or escaped for escapades) cat contributing to the stray cat population before the whole answer why was posted. didn't know about the stinky male cat "pee". :holdsnose:

Awww, your kittes, sue!

Little pink bin "myteriously" traveling around on the floor ! x Jack.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #876
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
I agree MsPurrl, too many bad things happen to outdoor kitties.

Anyway they should be fixed, regardless if they are male or female, indoors or outdoors. For many reasons. Impregnating stray females for one. The animal population is out of control, every cat that's fixed, saves lives.
I will have to look into getting them fixed, once they are old enough. But i cannot have them indoors fulltime, my allergies wont allow that. I live in a nice established neighborhood so i dont see them roaming too far in the neighborhood, and traffic isnt bad in here. There are bunches of outdoor cats around here, probably most of them males i would assume. I see them roaming around at night and sometimes i can hear them outside late at night doing their thing. No way i will let mine out at night until they are big enough to defend themselves against the other cats.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #877
Blue Crack Addict

You can get them fixed pretty soon. Mine were all fixed at 8 weeks.

I know someone very allergic to cats who has 3 indoor cats and fosters shelter cats. There are ways to manage it.

You can make nice, safe outdoor cat enclosures that will keep them safe and outdoors.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #878
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:21 PM
Males can be fixed early. Saki was fixed at 12 weeks.
Personally I think 8 weeks is too early.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #879
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by dazzledbylight

I didn't know THAT.

Being half science-buff, and even with watching tons of Nature shows over decades-- I never thought about what a domestic pet like a cat (or dog) would be prey for! Probably didn't WANT to think about that even as a person who owns know pets.
Yes, domestic cats and dogs are very frequently coyote prey. Just the other day someone on the dog board I go to said BOTH her dogs (pit bulls) were injured by a coyote. A cat is certainly no match.

Personally, I do not know of one good reason to allow a domestic-bred cat to roam free outdoors. Even cats that were feral can eventually live indoors.

If I wanted an outdoor pet, I'd get some small livestock or a primitive breed dog like a Saarloss.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #880
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Why did you rate this thread 1 star Mrs. Garrison?
Old 04-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #881
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:21 PM
For Mrs Garrison (I took a while answering and forgot to quote your post)

Make sure they have a place they can get in (a garage, shed, even an insulated dog house on a deck or porch (I had some kitties that lived on the porch for a couple of years by their choice -- with a nice sleeping area and a Snuggle Safe microwave heat disk in the winter they were very happy). And yeah, night tends to be the worst time for them to be outside -- at least that's what I've found -- so having them in somewhere at night is a good idea if at all possible. If you live in an area that gets very cold in the winter be prepared to bring them inside in severe weather. They can hang out in the laundry room, but cats are small and very cold weather can be hard on them.

If vet costs are an issue look around for low cost vet clinics. Many cities have clinics that offer basic vaccine packages and spaying or neutering at very reasonable prices. Neutering is cheaper and easier than spaying -- you're lucky there.

Also know that the debate about keeping cats indoors or outdoors is by no means settled and that in many countries it is considered cruel to keep cats indoors all the time. I currently keep my cats indoors now (they are country cats and I doubt they would do well outside here), but when I lived in the country the ones who wanted to go outside did -- and several lived most of their lives completely outside. Yeah I get the nasty looks sometimes from people who think differently, but I know my animals are well cared for and loved so I don't really give a fuck.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #882
Blue Crack Distributor

Yeah cats definitely can NOT outrun a coyote, and they are unfortunately coyote prey. I live not 5 minutes from downtown San Diego in a neighborhood you would not think to see much "wild America" in, but when my hubby was younger he saw his cat chased down and killed and eaten right in his front yard (just down the street from where we now live), nothing he could do about it. (And it was a Tom cat that was used to getting by outdoors... didn't matter)
Old 04-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #883
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Also know that the debate about keeping cats indoors or outdoors is by no means settled and that in many countries it is considered cruel to keep cats indoors all the time. I currently keep my cats indoors now (they are country cats and I doubt they would do well outside here), but when I lived in the country the ones who wanted to go outside did -- and several lived most of their lives completely outside. Yeah I get the nasty looks sometimes from people who think differently, but I know my animals are well cared for and loved so I don't really give a fuck.
I let Lovey outside during the day since the kittens get on her nerves, it seems. They can all be in the same room (really never thought I would see this day) although Bela keeps her distance but the kittens won't be deterred by Lovey hissing at them.
Even Jack, the intimidator, will circle around Lovey with his hair standing on end, walking sideways with his tail 3 times the size it is normally.
It's the cutest thing I tell ya.
Lovey just looks at him like, little boy I could take you in one fell swoop. Rose and Maxie go bounding up to Lovey who runs to the door- looking at me like, will you let me out of here
now!!
dazzle - love moderator cat, Sicy - looks like Lovey
Old 04-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #884
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 02:21 AM
It might be the difference of location, but here it's the most normal thing to have outdoor cats..
There are a lot of cats in the neighbourhood here, and since mine is a wuss they sometimes come say hi when I sit in the garden... tho when I'm watching my cat always makes sure she scares them off
All cats here are spayed/neutered as far as I know so that might be a difference too..
We've always had outdoor cats and my parents told me a story of our old cats, they lived in an appartment 3 high, and one day the cats(house cats back then) just dissapeared... apparently there was a garden in the back and my mom left the window open, and they jumped out... when my parents moved to a house with a garden the cats just went out.. never had any trouble..
Our current cat is either outside the whole day or asleep the whole day, so I think it would be incredibly cruel if you'd keep her inside now. Yet if they haven't already gotten used to outside life they perhaps don't know what they miss?
If you have the location to let them outside, I'd say why not? but if you live in an appartment or as Liesje lives in a very strict neighbourhood, then it's better to keep them inside
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 04-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #885
Blue Crack Addict

^^ I agree, I think it's a location/cultural difference. As I said, I have not yet come across a good reason to let cats outside. I'm not condemning those that do, I just do not have any good reasons for it when it comes to my cats and my environment. They are domestic animals and it's very dangerous here for them outside. There are wild animals, loose dogs, people that will hurt them or drop them at the shelter, they can get rabies from rodents, it's flea and tick season now, streets are busy with cars, there are leash laws, etc. A few years ago we adopted an adult cat that lived as a feral and we had little trouble integrating her with our other indoor cats. It takes time and commitment, but it can be done. Maximus was also born outdoors and he needs a LOT of stimulation indoors to be kept happy, but again, that's part of cat ownership, committing to the cat's needs and fulfilling them. My other cats have always been allowed on the porch, out on the deck, and sometimes outside while I'm supervising. Beckham is really the only cat that wants to go outside. Marijke and Posh have no interest and will sit inside if the door is open.

I just don't think it's wise to adopt two very young kittens and put them outside. Maybe if they were older feral cats that had trouble adjusting to indoor life, but young kittens are so vulnerable and it's a lucky break to get them young and have them be well adjusted to indoor life.