For Cat Lovers Only X - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc. - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2008, 02:06 AM   #391
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:13 PM
VP -- The kittens are soooo adorable! They look wonderful -- well fed and very happy. I love how their personalities are so apparent even from a very young age.

Everyone's cats are so cute! I just love all the pics, even if I don't comment on them all the time.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:15 AM   #392
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:13 PM
It's cuteless overload I tell ya!!!
Now I know where to go when I'm feeling a little down.
Best thread EVAH!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:06 AM   #393
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: Somewhere between The Edge, Matt Bellamy and Brian Fallon
awwwwwwweee litttle itty bitty squinty wobbly kitties!!!!!! x infinity!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #394
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 02:13 AM
VP the kittens are just so damn cute!

*gets plane ticket to canada*

I wish! but I don't think my cat would appreciate a kitten! she was never very fond of the one we used to have until she got run over by a car..
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 03-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #395
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:13 PM
Awww they are so cute. Can't wait till mine get a little older. I've got to get them in another place. Bela has them hidden in between the mattress's I have leaning up againist the wall. There was just enought room for her to get in there and be able to move around and have the kittens.
I've made her a bed and put the kittens in it with food and water nearby, but she took them out and put them between the mattress again. I suspect it's because she feels safer - with Lovey lurking around and trying to get in the room everytime I go in. I've started to lock Lovey in my bedroom when I'm in with Bela just to make sure Lovey doesn't get past me - she is so quick.
Susan with ARF called last night and was able to get an appointment set up for Bela to be spayed next Tuesday.
I laughed and told her Bela had 3 kittens the day before.
It was just destined for Bela to have these kittens, I guess.
I'm getting Lovey spayed instead.
Yay.. one down (almost) and 4 to go.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #396
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:13 PM
Sue The mattresses dont sound that bad as long as she has enough room to get in there and nurse them, and as long as there isnt a chance of them falling and squishing them! Maybe you can move them in a way so that there is more room there
Old 03-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #397
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Worf has a hyperthyroid condition. Does anyone have a cat with this?

They said they could:
a) do radio iodine treatment - which cures it, but costs over $1,000
b) surgery, remove the thyroid - but there are complications with an older cat and it seems no one does that surgery because they do the iodine thing
c) medication - two pills a day, but the medication might have complications with her blood, etc.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:36 PM   #398
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern

They said they could:
b) surgery, remove the thyroid - but there are complications with an older cat and it seems no one does that surgery because they do the iodine thing
c) medication - two pills a day, but the medication might have complications with her blood, etc.

My cat Max has hyperthyroidism. He's on the medication and does pretty well. We do have to have regular blood tests to make sure the medication isn't causing other problems and is still controlling the hyperthyroidism, but he's done well with that too.
Max is terrible to pill and although I was able to give them to him in his food for the first year, he eventually got wise to that and had to be switched to a trans-dermal method to deliver the medication (ie, I get his medication compounded specially for him in a cream and rub it into a patch of skin. It works well for Max).

If you go the pill route check around various pharmacies for the best prices on the medication (it's usually Tapazole/methimazole) because the prices can vary a lot.

It's a treatable (and even curable) condition and your cat can live a long happy life.

My Loki is at the vet right now getting a whole battery of test run. He has horrible teeth and will be getting those worked on, and most likely out (they are that bad ) early next week (I hope), and then the whole senior cat workup (we're thinking he's at least 13 because he was pretty old when he came four years ago) checking his thyroid and kidney functions, etc. Poor little guy is so scared -- he's already made one dive under the cages there and is now getting a tranq. so they can continue to check him out. He'll be so happy to get home later today!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #399
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Sue The mattresses dont sound that bad as long as she has enough room to get in there and nurse them, and as long as there isnt a chance of them falling and squishing them! Maybe you can move them in a way so that there is more room there
Already done and reinforced, they have a queen size heavy duty tee-pee.
I just can't get to the kittens unless I move one of the mattresses and it's a heavy sucker. Thats why I haven't hauled them off already, I need help getting them out.
My sis "promised" she will be over this weekend with the camera and we will get pics.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #400
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern

They said they could:

I'm so sorry Kelly... That hurts my heart.
Is Worf in any pain from this conditon? What's the prognosis if you decide not to do anything because of age?
Is that an option?
I guess I'm asking is the treatment going to be worst for Worf than the cure?
Old 03-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #401
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by sue4u2

I'm so sorry Kelly... That hurts my heart.
Is Worf in any pain from this conditon? What's the prognosis if you decide not to do anything because of age?
Is that an option?
I guess I'm asking is the treatment going to be worst for Worf than the cure?
The treatment -- at least the pills -- isn't that bad. I've been treating Max for three years for it and although sometimes he drives me crazy (he's very spazzy when he's untreated or when his medicine needs to be adjusted upwards), he's mostly a very happy cat. Without treatment he would have starved (it really revs up the metabolism) -- even with it he's lost a lot of weight.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #402
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:13 PM
Kelly I'm sorry about Worf. I have a thyroid condition too.. its really not a big deal. I take a pill every day. Worf will be fine

I hope Loki will be ok too
Old 03-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #403
Blue Crack Distributor

Kelly and Indra

I know it's a completely different species and condition, but my puppy was on twice-daily phenobarbital for 9 years, and had to have regular testing done to monitor the drug levels, etc. It turned out to be very manageable. I hope you find the same if that's what you opt to do, Kelly.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:34 PM   #404
Blue Crack Supplier

Kelly, I think Worf will do well with her pills--you can look forward to many more years together.

And VP, those kittens are just so adorable! Are you going to keep them all?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:44 PM   #405
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by MsPurrl

And VP, those kittens are just so adorable! Are you going to keep them all?
I really, really, really want to.

I think I may impose unreasonable demands on potential new owners: "What?? You DON'T have a kitten wing composed of several rooms and a separate bathroom for the kitten?? NO KITTENS FOR YOU!!!!"

The last part said in a Soup Nazi voice, of course.

Part of me hopes that as they become more mobile, they're difficult little hellions. That'll make it easier to let them go.