For Cat Lovers Only X - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc. - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #346
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sue4u2
Hey VP... how long did it take your cat to have all her kittens?

I'm now the proud "other" mommie of 3 baby kittens and 2 adult cats. haha. It all started with me saying I wanted a kitten.
Bela started having her kittens sometime between the time I was here at lunch and 4:45PM.
They are so cute. One is gray with white spots and paws. There is a solid white kitten (I've seen the daddy around here) and the other is dark gray with white on it's feet.
I'm not sure when she started having them but she is still breathing rapidly and maybe even having contractions. She seems ok however - and the kitties are just eating away.
The gray and white spotted kitten seemed to have been pushed to the outside so I picked him/her up and placed it where it could get some milk.
She hasn't had anymore in the last 2 hours almost.
From what I've read it could take a few hours. But, like I said I don't know when it began.
She wouldn't come out at noon, but I thought it was because Lovey was meowing outside the bedroom door. She wasn't lying down at the time just looking out from her hiding place.
Guess I'll know soon if no other kittens pop out.

Awwww, more kittens!!! It's my kittens' 2 week birthday today.

I think my cat had them pretty rapidly. When I first checked there were three, and then I think she had the other three within an hour or so?

As for the heavy breathing, I'm not sure what that would be. Mine seemed to have them very effortlessly - she was lying there calmly with one halfway out of her, at one point. There are tons of great websites with lots of information, though. Here's one I read that pertains directly to your question:

Quote:
There is often a 10 to 60 minute delay between births, although longer periods of time are not uncommon. If there is a delay of over four hours and you are sure there are remaining kittens, the queen should be examined by a veterinarian.
http://cats.about.com/cs/pregnancybi...ncybirth_3.htm

Good luck, let us know how things are progressing, and if you have any other questions, being a "new mom," and having read a ridiculous amount in the past month about cat pregnancy/birth/kitten care, a lot of it is still fresh in my mind, so I'll help all I can.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #347
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: Somewhere between The Edge, Matt Bellamy and Brian Fallon
Local Time: 07:57 PM
latest pic of my 2 babies:

Old 03-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #348
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

LOL I know what you mean. I've been reading the last 2 months and this evening - when I'm not checking on the mommie.
I think 3 is it at this point. She looks relaxed but her expression is like WTF! how did this happen.
I put some dry food on a flat surface on the floor so she could eat without moving. One thing about Bela, she has always had a healthy appetite, no matter what.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #349
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by cruzila
latest pic of my 2 babies:

How sweet is that ... cruzila I long for the day when I can post pics of Bela and Lovey like this.
I've got to get a camera and soon!
Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #350
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Oh my gosh Cari, the one on the right is adorable!!!!! What's its name?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #351
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Ooh, Cari, your babies are striped too Our kitties would make excellent roommates

Here's a total n00b question for you guys:
Chester is a shedding machine. I brush him for ages and there are still grey tufts of fur coming off the brush. I just got a basic rubber brush. Any suggestions for what's best to use?

I have a feeling I'm going to be investing in a few big lint brushes
Old 03-11-2008, 11:05 PM   #352
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:57 PM
omg Bela kittens!! You must get a hold of a digital camera. I hope she and the babies are doing well

cruzila that is such a cute pic. Looks like they get along good.

kaf, I would recommend a slicker brush. Like this

These things get so much hair off the cat, they're great. But kind of pokey so you dont want to use it on their face. And yes, I have a lint roller in every room of the house
Old 03-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #353
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
omg Bela kittens!! You must get a hold of a digital camera. I hope she and the babies are doing well

cruzila that is such a cute pic. Looks like they get along good.

kaf, I would recommend a slicker brush. Like this

These things get so much hair off the cat, they're great. But kind of pokey so you dont want to use it on their face. And yes, I have a lint roller in every room of the house

I have 3 lint rollers. 2 inside and 1 in the car. But the type of brush you are talking about, I have also and Bela loves it on her face. Lovey doesn't.
I figure that one side of Bela's face doesn't get as much attention as the other.
But my mom's cats love to rub their face against it, as long as you just hold it for them so they can set the pressure.

and Bela is doing just fine. I boiled some chicken for her and she chowed down.
The kittens are mewing and one of them is trying to wander away. They are precious..
Old 03-12-2008, 12:31 AM   #354
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Kittums So irresistable. There were a few at the Humane Society that were hard to pass up.

I'll pick up one of those slicker brushes Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be back with more n00b questions, I'm sure
Old 03-12-2008, 12:36 AM   #355
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by kafrun
Kittums So irresistable. There were a few at the Humane Society that were hard to pass up.
It was nice of you to adopt an adult cat
Old 03-12-2008, 01:21 AM   #356
Neon Zebra

Quote:
I agree. That was a good thing you did, kafrun.

Whenever I visit our local shelter I tell the older cats it will be ok.

I wish I could adopt them all
Old 03-12-2008, 03:40 AM   #357
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

Agreed here too! We adopted Maurice full grown. He was so lovable from the moment we took him from the cage. It can be so rewarding to give an animal a new home that someone had to give up for whatever reasons. Keep a close eye on him tho if he gets outside! It took Maurice a few days until he got used to exactly which house was his when we brought him home. Even though we tried to keep him inside, it was a good thing he had our number on his collar because the first week I had 2 calls from complete strangers saying I think your cat is curled up asleep on my bed. Poor confused kitty.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #358
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 07:57 PM
More new kittens
Old 03-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #359
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by bonocomet
Agreed here too! We adopted Maurice full grown. He was so lovable from the moment we took him from the cage. It can be so rewarding to give an animal a new home that someone had to give up for whatever reasons. Keep a close eye on him tho if he gets outside! It took Maurice a few days until he got used to exactly which house was his when we brought him home. Even though we tried to keep him inside, it was a good thing he had our number on his collar because the first week I had 2 calls from complete strangers saying I think your cat is curled up asleep on my bed. Poor confused kitty.
Both of my cats came from shelters. Zoey was almost a year old when I got her, pretty much full grown and Saki was just a baby. I never had a small kitten so I wanted to experience that at least once in my life. It can be hard to pass up the cute little kittens, but honestly if you live alone and work all day, that kitten will most likely destroy your house or get into all sorts of trouble. I think I kept him in the bathroom for like a week while I was at work. I was so nervous. And yeah, mine absolutely do not go outside. They belong inside. I've already lost a few feral cats to cars and such. There is no way I would ever let my cats outside, and they really could care less.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #360
Blue Crack Addict

The kittens grow so fast and you never know how they will turn out. I like adults (especially dogs) because you can get a clear indication of their temperament. Both Beckham and Posh really changed from kitten-hood to adulthood, not that I love them any less, but they are totally different cats now.

I got Beckham at 15 weeks. He was the only one left and the place I got him from usually only has kittens, so it was him or nothing. I got Posh because Beckham seemed so lonely, so I went to PetSmart and talked to the ladies from the animal rescue and they helped me pick out Posh. She was just barely 8 weeks old. They seemed to think a female kitten would be the best for Beckham as far as adjustment. Marijke was also a kitten. We looked at a few of the adults, but one had a possible adopter and the other was supposed to be an only cat, so again we were limited to kittens. I think she was 12 weeks when we got her.

Both of my dogs were adopted as adults (Kenya almost 4 years and Coke 1.5 years old). As much as I love dogs I really have no desire to ever have to deal with an 8 week old puppy!