For Cat Lovers Only X - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Then I got tired.

(Rattle and Hum)

rattlenhumegg2008.jpg

:wink:

Hi yall!!:wave:

Cat & kitten Mania!! love it..:love:

As far as giving them away, I'm bouncing back and forth between keeping Jack the solid white one, to stay with mommie, and give 2 away. But only if someone takes both of them together. :yes:
or I may just keep all of them. :wink:
I really hope to have pics this weekend.

Lila64 said:
Found this on my camera

Otto-hpim0582.jpg

Awwww! Sleepy Otto! :cute:

I felt bad because I'm all "kittens, kittens, kittens" these days, so I took this one of mama having a well-deserved rest:

DSC02170-2.jpg

Thanks for adoring the kittens with me! :) I think the problem with thinking of giving any of them up is that there are certain ones who have almost forced me to bond with them (Calico, I'm looking at you!) because of their nature, whereas others are more content to just climb on me occasionally or have a quick snuggle and then go off to play with their siblings. The three that have *really* gotten to me are the calico, the chubby tuxedo (both of them climbed onto my lap yesterday and fell asleep!!!) and the small tabby with brown in its coat. All three of them would let me hold them for hours, and be quite happy. But then I look at the others and think maybe they're just as lovable, but I'm too busy with the more demanding three to have noticed. Ahhhh, it's so hard. :(

I'm going to try to give the kittens a bit of solid food this weekend. I think they're ready.

Last edited:
:lol: Vp I dreamt about your three special kitty's last night!
I dreamt I found three kittens who looked exactly like them, calico, tux and tabby.. and that I was gonna keep them and care for them or so.. can't remember the rest!

:sad: I still want one of the tabbies!

Galeongirl said:
I dreamt I found three kittens who looked exactly like them, calico, tux and tabby.. and that I was gonna keep them and care for them or so.. can't remember the rest!

GG, what a sweet dream! :hug: I hope you get your tabby kitty soon!

Galeongirl said:

Awwww!! I seriously wish I could give one of them to you! And to Babydoll, and Jem, or to anyone else who would like one. :)

It's been a crazy kitten weekend, and the reality of having 6 kittens is beginning to sink in. :crazy:

Friday, I put some clay (non-scoopable, I've read that's very bad for kittens) litter into an empty cardboard water case. I know they're a little young yet, but I was hoping at least a few of them would get the idea. It seems that all they want to do is try to eat it. :( Since I can't sit beside the litter box all day and scoop kittens up and stick my fingers in their mouths to get the litter out all day, I keep putting the box out of reach.

Yesterday afternoon, I fed them some wet food for the first time. Four of them literally dove on it within nanoseconds of me putting the plates down, and gobbled it up! Two of them took a few minutes longer, and had to be coaxed by licking some off our fingers before they'd try it on their own. Then in the evening I gave them some more, but they showed little interest in it. Maybe they had just nursed, or something? Mama finished the leftovers. Today they gobbled it down again.

This morning, my daughter went up to have a shower, and found mom and the chubby tuxedo sitting at the top of the stairs, and another kitten out of the box, but still in the room! Alas, the current box will no longer hold them, and to get anything bigger, I'd practically have to get an appliance box or something, so we decided it's time for them to roam free. I put one of their early, short sided boxes into the room so they can easily get in and out of it, and put a child's gate in the doorway that they can't get out of, but mama can jump over. I know they're safe in there, but still, I'm paranoid, and have been checking on them frequently.

Since they're out of the box now, I decided to give the litter box another try, and they're still just getting into it and trying to eat the litter. :scream: For now, I've covered the floor with newspaper to catch any accidents. I'm not really concerned about the floor or anything, it needs to be replaced anyway (on my to-do list), it would just be so much easier if they would learn what the litter box is for.

Last edited:
I was trying to take a pic of Beckham and he decided to sniff my lens

2363109270_68c6bfba69.jpg

This is better. He's getting fat. I changed their food and think they need to eat less.
2363126826_0bfd4071c1.jpg

:ohmy: he has really shiny furr! Nice!

:giggle: and Vp, I don't think there's any chance you can prevent them from walking around... it's just how they are! :cute:
it's a good sign they eat the wet food easily! Usually that can cause a little bit of trouble..

VintagePunk said:

It's been a crazy kitten weekend, and the reality of having 6 kittens is beginning to sink in. :crazy:

Since they're out of the box now, I decided to give the litter box another try, and they're still just getting into it and trying to eat the litter. :scream: For now, I've covered the floor with newspaper to catch any accidents. I'm not really concerned about the floor or anything, it needs to be replaced anyway (on my to-do list), it would just be so much easier if they would learn what the litter box is for.

I know what you mean, almost. Bela's kittens are already out of the box and roaming. I've put down large sheets of plastic with old sheets spread out over it. (knew I was saving them for some reason)
I'm going to have to get rid of the mattresses for sure now.. I expect them to start climbing soon. They come out now when I go back to the room and I brought Jack out last night to introduce to Lovey. She hissed at him but didn't attack or anything.
I just don't know what to do. If Lovey can't adust to Bela and the kittens and Bela can't - then what.
Only thing is I really love her. And I love Bela who has part of her leg missing. I can't keep up a separate household indefinitely.
I want to try to introduce them again but the last time was so tramatic for all of us.
What else can I do to get Lovey and Bela to get along. I want this more than anything so I don't have to adopt either one out.
It's only been 12 days since Lovey was spayed. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I'll just worry about it after I get Bela spayed (after nursing) and the kittens settled.

VP, have you tried putting the kittens in the litterbox after they eat and take the kittens' paws and rub them in the litter using a scratching motion? The mom cat is also supposed to teach them. I think they will get the hang of it eventually. Cats are uber smart :love:

sue have you tried everything on the web? I know there are lists a mile long on how to introduce cats. Sometimes they just will never get along no matter how hard you try :( I knew a lady that literally had to keep 2 of her cats seperate on a daily basis because one would just attack the crap out of the other all the time. You could try to just let them out together and make them get used to each other. But if they fight you cant keep them together. Hissing and growling and chasing however, is normal.

Sicy said:
VP, have you tried putting the kittens in the litterbox after they eat and take the kittens' paws and rub them in the litter using a scratching motion? The mom cat is also supposed to teach them. I think they will get the hang of it eventually. Cats are uber smart :love:

I did try that. The problem is, I can't leave them in there long enough to do anything, because if I did, they'd gobble down half the litter in the box. But, last night I did some research and found the names of a couple of litters that are completely dust-free and non-toxic to kittens, so I went out today and got one. It's corn-cob based, so if they eat it, it's not a big deal. I'm going to go fill their litter box with it in a few minutes. :fingerscrossed:

Yesterday, we took a really good look to see what sex the kittens are, and we're pretty sure we've got it down now. It made it easier knowing that the calico is female, so we used her to compare. :lol: So, the two tuxes are boys, two of the tabbies are boys, and smaller tabby with brownish in her coat is a girl. Really, she doesn't have the typical tabby stripes, she looks more like a cross between a tabby and a calico. Is that possible?

This is the one I'm talking about:
DSC02158.jpg

Sue, I wish I had some advice re: your cat introduction problems. :( This is the first time I've ever had more than one cat at a time, though. I do watch this weekly phone-in show on tv about pet issues, and how to introduce cats is a very common question. This probably isn't anything you don't know already, but from the answers I've heard, it takes a LOT of time in some cases, and a great deal of patience. Have you tried maybe leaving a blanket for Bela and the kittens to lie on for a few days, and then putting it somewhere near Lovey, for her to get used to their scent? I've also heard that introducing them in separate crates, so that they can get used to each other by sight and smell without having physical access to each other sometimes works. Also, they say that at first, short introductions are best, maybe just a few minutes at a time, and then even if everything is going well, separate them before aggression has a chance to start. Then, if things are going well, gradually extend the length of time they're together.

Also, it could be that they're being extra territorial right now, because of the kittens. During the vast amount of kitten reading I've been doing lately, I've seen where it's advised not to allow an adult cat access to another cat's kittens.

But then, like you've already mentioned, things may settle down on their own once Bela is fixed.

Good luck. :hug:

Errgh they are so cute :cute: That one looks like a Tabby to me :)

More boys :up: Easier to get them fixed :drool:

Sicy said:

More boys :up: Easier to get them fixed :drool:

That's what I was thinking too. Less expensive. As it turns out though, two of the three we've bonded with and I'm pretty sure we're keeping are girls. :happy:

:|

Shots and spaying and neutering for 4 cats is going to be nearly $2,000. I wonder if vets give discounts for multiple cats...

I think some do actually. You just need to call around. A shelter should actually be able to do them all for cheap. Or like I said, make sure whoever gets the cats signs some kind of contract stating that they will get them fixed.

That's interesting that you're bonding with the females. Females are usually more bitchy than males :lol:

VintagePunk said:
Shots and spaying and neutering for 4 cats is going to be nearly $2,000.

Ok um this just sank in. Are you sure??? :huh:
I know around here you can get a male done for under $100 and a female maybe $200 - $300 at the MOST.

Sicy said:

Ok um this just sank in. Are you sure??? :huh:
I know around here you can get a male done for under $100 and a female maybe $200 - $300 at the MOST.

Yeah, it's over $400 per female between surgery and shots (which are required here before vets will even treat them), not sure about males. Remember when we were Pming before I realized for sure that the mother was pregnant, and I was telling you about how expensive it is here, and that there are no low-cost programs in this area?

Fortunately, I only have to get mama done in the next month or two, the kittens should be fine till summer, and that will give me some time to save.

VintagePunk said:

Really, she doesn't have the typical tabby stripes, she looks more like a cross between a tabby and a calico. Is that possible?

This is the one I'm talking about:
DSC02158.jpg

I've seen torbies before. :cute:

My sister is in the process of adopting a cat from a rescue organization. :love: She's looking to adopt a 4 year old male Siamese-ish sweetie. One of his hind legs is a bit lame but he is such a good boy. :heart: Here's hoping that everything goes well and she's approved quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom