For Cat Lovers Only VIII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried different food? Maybe canned would be easier to digest. Is Chloe drinking a fair amount of water still, despite the food issues? The fact she sniffs the food but refuses to eat might mean some sort of issue with the food itself. Possibly something unique only to Chloe.

We use Hill's r/d prescription diet. From vets only. Dry & canned.

We've tried her normal cat food, her diet food, her favorite foods (turkey, bacon), treats, etc. Same thing with each.

She'll drink a little bit of water or milk, which is good, but not too much. So I don't think it's any specific food, since she does the same thing with any food.

We'll be calling the vet tomorrow.

Sounds like she is nauseous - that's always my first thought when people tell me that the cat seems interested to eat but won't eat anything they are offered, even their very favorite things. Another common sign is licking their lips more than they usually do.

I would definitely try to get her seen sooner rather than later, since she is overweight she is at higher risk of developing a liver problem if she goes too long without eating.

Until you can get her in you might try picking up a meat flavored baby food like Gerber or Delmonte chicken or turkey flavors (like what you would give a toddler baby) - many cats will eat that when they won't touch anything else. It's not a balanced long term diet but good for some calories and protein in the short term if she'll eat it.

There are sooo many things that can make a cat feel sick so it can sometimes be difficult to pinpoint where the problem is coming from. If they don't find some obvious problem in checking her over, such as being very backed up with poop or feeling something in her belly that shouldn't be there, they'll probably recommend rechecking basic blood work to look for any connections. I usually start with that before I jump to taking xrays but it depends on how their physical exam is.

Hope she's feeling better soon :hug:

Last edited:
We had a scary day last week - the cats alerted us to a bat in the house. We didn't know if they had any contact with it so we caught it and submitted it to the state for rabies testing. Thankfully the test came back negative for rabies, but it very easily could have been positive - this is why I keep my indoor only cats vaccinated for rabies....

Oh yeah Zoey scared the you know what out of me last week. All of a sudden she didnt want to eat her dry food and she was barely touching her wet food but drinking water and would eat treats and cat grass. But it really wasnt like her she loves her dry food. This went on for almost 2 days and I decided I needed to take her in. Thing was she was acting totally normal with no other symptoms so I was trying not to freak out. Of course the vet found nothing wrong with her on the physical exam and actually said she looked great and healthy so I decided to take her back home and wait it out a couple more days before I started running hundreds of dollars in tests. Well she started eating again like a pig :huh: I have no idea what was wrong with her. I think sometimes cats just dont feel good or have off days where they dont want to eat, just like humans.

11-08-07_1738.jpg

11-08-07_1737.jpg

^ :der:

U2democrat said:
:cute:

OK, we've got an appointment with the vet tomorrow at 9am. :sigh:

Is she having problems with her teeth, by any chance? Some years ago when our Miss Purrl seemed like she wanted to eat, but didn't, it turned out that she had several teeth that had decayed and were causing her pain when she ate. The teeth were removed, and she started eating again.

I hope the vet will be able to identify what is wrong with Chloe and fix it. :hug:

We've thought about that, that it could be teeth, but she won't eat soft things either, and that doesn't explain her throwing up. (She threw up a little bit in my room this morning at 4am...)

I hope she gets better, i'd hate to leave for school on Saturday knowing my baby girl isn't well :(

Can any of you recommend some good cat message boards? We're thinking about getting a cat soon (as soon as I can figure out the best way of keeping a cat from destroying our new sofa and chair and my husband and I reach an agreement on the indoor/outdoor issue).

I don't know of any cat boards, but if you can't train the cat where not to scratch (not too difficult), you can always get Soft Paws. They are like little plastic caps that go over their claws so they can't ruin anything. Typically cats will scratch on posts as long as you show them where to scratch and it has the right texture (usually they prefer sisal and corrugated cardboard rather than plain carpeting). I hope you can get a cat!!

meegannie said:
Can any of you recommend some good cat message boards? We're thinking about getting a cat soon (as soon as I can figure out the best way of keeping a cat from destroying our new sofa and chair and my husband and I reach an agreement on the indoor/outdoor issue).

I'll ask my cousin in Virginia--she has six cats, and I know she frequents some cat boards. Will post when she replies. :wink:

meegannie said:

http://kalebsmom.net/kittyhaven/index.php

Sicy is one of the moderators on there. I haven't been on there in awhile! :huh:

U2democrat said:
Well my dad bought turkey flavored baby food today and Chloe seemed to enjoy that. I just hope she can keep it down.

Glad she's at least eating that-

I'm sure they'll check her mouth/teeth, but it's not terribly likely to be related to a tooth problem. I see cats everyday with teeth basically rotting out of their head that are otherwise acting fine and eating normally - I'm sure they are uncomfortable but if they have the will to live, they find a way to eat. They really don't have to chew their food, even the dry kibble. Now if 1 of her teeth just recently became infected that could affect her more systemically - but odds are pretty good that it is some other issue.

Let us know if they find out anything tomorrow :hug:

Lookit! MY cats and a DOG, peacefully co-existing. This is a HUGE deal (for the cats...the dog couldn't care less).

1187355341_ab40c0f142.jpg

1188217952_bb52cdaadd.jpg

meegannie said:

This is the one that my cousin frequents most:

http://forum.meezer.org/

It's mostly geared toward Siamese cats and rescue, but there are many, many owners of other kinds of kitties. You'll probably have to register.

OK, mostly good news to report.

The vet checked her out and there's no blockage, just an upset tummy and we're to give her 1/4 tablet of Pepcid AC twice a day, and he gave her a shot that works as a laxative and that already seems to be working. She's gone in the litterbox for the first time in days and her appetite is back.

However, one of her back right teeth is very badly inflamed, so after a few days of getting her stomach to settle and getting more food in her (mostly more babyfood because it hurts her to chew), we'll take her in to get some anti-biotics, then get that tooth pulled.

Thankfully all of this is easily manageable, and we're already seeing improvement in her. :D

Oh, and this vet was new I hadn't seen him before, and he was hot :combust:

:shifty:

Earlier today, I filled the bath up with about 4inches of clear soapy water to clean it.

Left it for about an hour or so and came back to find AZD splashing around in it :lol: :mad:
I walked in and he just sat there looking at me purring as if nothing had happened.
Now, if I wanted bathe him, he would scratch my eyes out.

U2democrat said:
OK, mostly good news to report.

The vet checked her out and there's no blockage, just an upset tummy and we're to give her 1/4 tablet of Pepcid AC twice a day, and he gave her a shot that works as a laxative and that already seems to be working. She's gone in the litterbox for the first time in days and her appetite is back.

However, one of her back right teeth is very badly inflamed, so after a few days of getting her stomach to settle and getting more food in her (mostly more babyfood because it hurts her to chew), we'll take her in to get some anti-biotics, then get that tooth pulled.

Thankfully all of this is easily manageable, and we're already seeing improvement in her. :D

Oh, and this vet was new I hadn't seen him before, and he was hot :combust:

:shifty:

I am so glad to hear this!! :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom