For Cat Lovers Only VIII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha My mom and dad always say that if they are not up at 5am some mornings, Chloe comes into their room meowing so loud that they have to get up. Apparantly she thinks they are oversleeping and wants to make sure they know what time it is. :lol:

There is a nest of baby rabbits in the lily plants at the corner of the patio. Fergus and Callie are keeping a close watch.

FergusCallieBunnyAlert070107.jpg

I gotta get one of those pics one day. Usually they dont like hanging out so close together :giggle:

kids7-07.jpg

Otto was happily sleeping on hour dining room table today. No t that anyone has eaten on it since the last major holiday, and not that you can ever see the top of it due to tons of mail, newspapers and general crap laying atop it :happy:

Haha, Lila, that's how ours is too. Phil eats by his computer, I eat at the coffee table, and the really nice oak 6-8 person dining table is a giant mail receptacle/laundry folding and ironing station/tool bench/cat bed.

:lol:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who allows the cats to use the dining room table as a bed. :shifty:

Nah...I figure the table is better than cats on the counter tops. We actually do have a cat bed on top of the cabinets that are above our fridge. Beckham sleeps up there when annoying people (to him) come over or when it's cold out.

Good point. I think the counters are the only place I don't really allow the cats. Although, I'm sure they get up there when I'm not home.

I've put cat beds all over the place to try and encourage them to sleep where I want them. I figured it would be useless. The only cat who uses them is Jack and he uses them as toys. He likes to go under covers and pop out and attack. I guess he figures the cat beds cover him up like blankets do. :giggle:

IMG_0523.jpg

Speaking of Jack, his favorite place to sleep is my on top of my old laptop.

IMG_0488.jpg

Sicy, you don't need to add these.

Sicy said:
I gotta get one of those pics one day. Usually they dont like hanging out so close together :giggle:

kids7-07.jpg

:cute:

Mine rarely hang around together, either. I think I have one picture of them all together and I that was the only time I think I have seen them like that.

Sloane Peterson said:
Fergus is such a cute name for a cat, MsPurrl.

Thanks, Sloane. We knew it was right, the minute we said it! (As we found out later, it's Celtic for "man of vigor", which does seem to suit the boy.) The vet calls him "Fairgus, me lad . . . ." :lol:

I love my Marijke. She's the most affectionate, most loving animal I've ever known, and I've known a LOT of animals! (cats, dogs, guinea pigs, and rabbits)

When I have my laptop on the coffee table, she will sit next to me and howl until I sit up so she can get on my lap. She won't just lay beside you, she cries and cries until she can lay ON you (lab, chest, or shoulders). This is mainly b/c her favorite thing is nuzzling under your chin and putting her face on your face (I think she likes to feel the warmth of someone exhaling). She came and sad hi to the webcam, then fell asleep with me holding her face, then later woke up and chewed my fingers (this has always been her way of showing affection), and finally she gives her sultry "give me treatsies" face. Sorry the pics are crap b/c it's my webcam and the room is dark.

Picture%20065.jpg

Picture%20067.jpg

Picture%20068.jpg

Picture%20069.jpg

I love this cat! She has been the perfect addition to our family b/c she is the little cat baby I've always wanted to be able to hold and carry around. The other two appreciate this b/c I'm no longer trying to hold and carry them. They like to sit on peoples' laps, but only on their own terms, and neither will stand for being carried on their backs like a baby like Marijke will for hours. She's just totally comfortable with being manhandled, plus she only weighs like 6 lbs.

:grumpy:

Every once in awhile, in the wee hours of the morning (usually around 1-3 am) Chloe will wake me up by yowling out in the hall. Naturally I assume with this yowl that something is wrong. When I check on her, she's sitting there perfectly fine, next to a catnip toy. She did this last night at 3:15 :crack:

Just a few minutes later she would settle down in my bed and fall asleep :shrug:

Liesje said:

Are cat allergies like dog allergies? I know if a dog might have food allergies, you have to change the food to a different meat and carb, so if they were eating chicken and rice, you would try lamb and potato, etc. Should I try a different food that has different meat and carb then what they are currently on? I am thinking of trying a grain-free Wellness kibble, so I could try salmon for Poshie, since right now their meat source is chicken.

There are a lot of things that cats can develop allergies to, including food. There can develop reactions at any time to things inside the home, like dust mites and common molds, things you can never get rid of no matter how much you clean. They can also develop allergies to things outdoors like pollen, ragweed, trees etc - even if they never go outside. For anything that they have an allergy to, it can manifest through skin problems like acne, itching, skin sores etc.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that she has allergies causing the acne, it is most often related to their food bowl (or even if they are eating on a flat surface) - just keep it clean everyday and avoid plastic and she'll probably do fine.

U2Democrat - I really would have Chloe checked out soon. Even though she isn't having an everyday all the time problem, she is trying to tell you that something is not right. She may be constipated periodically and for most cats the "Cat Lax" products are not enough. Constipation can be related to more serious intestinal problems, kidney disease, and other things. I would also recommend having her thyroid checked as many cats often have changes in their defecation habits with an overactive thyroid.

If the vet thinks it's just a constipation issue, she will probably need some sort of stool softener.

U2democrat said:
:grumpy:

Every once in awhile, in the wee hours of the morning (usually around 1-3 am) Chloe will wake me up by yowling out in the hall. Naturally I assume with this yowl that something is wrong. When I check on her, she's sitting there perfectly fine, next to a catnip toy. She did this last night at 3:15 :crack:

Just a few minutes later she would settle down in my bed and fall asleep :shrug:

Maybe she just wanted you to come play with her? When Callie and/or Fergus "call" like that, they just want attention. :hug:

You know, it's the strangest thing...my family takes care of the stray cats on our street, and we used to have this one stray (we named her Daisy) who would follow me around all the time, she probably did for 7-8 months back in 2005-2006, and then she went missing. :hmm: Well, supposedly, my mom saw her this morning. :ohmy: I'd like to find her. She was a great, great cat. Very kind. I was afraid she got killed or something, but apparently not. :hyper:

I'll take pics if I'm able to find her again.

Update on my cats bathroom choices:

We moved the littlerbox into the bathroom where he spends most of his time sleeping during day.

But he still does his business outside of his box.
I went downstairs and my mum just told me that he went in one of the worst places imaginable :yikes:

I dunno what's up with this cat, its dirtiest one we've ever owned :|

It never did this when we got it, its just started in the past month.

Wayne, maybe a trip to the vet is in order to rule out any kind of bladder infection or some such. If a cat has pain when using the litterbox, it associates the box with pain and does it business elsewhere. I hope this can be taken care, because that's very sweet-looking kitty! :cute:

And LemonMelon, how great! I hope the cat is doing well.

I agree with the above. You'll want a professional opinion ASAP b/c every time it goes, the more likely it will go there again b/c their urine contains enzymes that they can smell that are not removed by any household cleaners. We had a cat that peed several times outside the litter box and her vet from the rescue said it was behavioral (she was a feral cat). We decided she didn't know what she was talking about and took her to a new vet and sure enough, the cat had a UTI. Then, we had to replace the carpeting in my friend's room and replace the linoleum in one of our bathrooms otherwise she would find her scent and keep peeing there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom