For Cat Lovers Only VIII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there everyone
wave2.gif

Well, took Columbus off to the vet on friday - unfortunately he wouldn't pee for them either, so they ended up getting a needle sample. Anyhow, it did show that his urine was a bit dilute, so definately some kidney dysfunction going on, but the vet thinks that they've caught it reasonably early on, which is excellent news
smiley.gif

So, anyhow, looks like Columbus is going to be on daily medication for the rest of his life. The vet said to just stick the tablet in the back of his throat, that that was the easiest way to get cats to swallow tablets - HAHA!!! Not a chance!!! - I couldn't even get columbus to open his mouth wide enough to get a tip of my finger in. So, looks like I'll have to mush up his tablet in his food every night - luckily he doesn't seem to have noticed any difference in the flavor of his food, and is eating it quite happily.

Hopefully after a little while on the tablets, he might start to put on a little weight again.

He got lots of cuddles and treats over the weekend for being such a brave cat!
nicecat.gif

I just wanted to let you guys know that Daytona seems to be a bit better. His medicine seems to be working but it is still to early to tell if it will continue to do so. I am just so relieved to see him looking a little more like his old self! Thanks again for all your well wished for him.

U2Dem and Mandy, I am praying for your kitties to get better!!:hug:

Mandy, the vet didnt put Columbus on a special diet? Suggest subq fluids? I'm just surprised, for a cat with kidney failure I dont think medication alone is enough. Unless its in the very very early stages.

Miss Purrl was put on the special diet--we had to pour water off of tuna over it or mix some tuna in with it to get her to eat it. But it bought her three more years!

Nuala said:
I just wanted to let you guys know that Daytona seems to be a bit better. His medicine seems to be working but it is still to early to tell if it will continue to do so. I am just so relieved to see him looking a little more like his old self! Thanks again for all your well wished for him.

U2Dem and Mandy, I am praying for your kitties to get better!!:hug:

Nuala! wow... great news! :happy:I am so glad to hear that daytona is doing better.. we will keep him in our prayers until he makes a full recovery..:wink:

U2democrat said:
Chloe's pooped in her new litter twice :happy:

She's acting like she's feeling better, but she still is getting this weird spasm that makes her run around obviously uncomfortable.

WOOT!! :D Glad to some more great news.. Yay for poop! :giggle:

Will loves to sleep on the cable box. He photographs weird though. I can never seem to get a normal picture of him. I think i need a better camera. :lol:

I'm out of town this week. My younger brother is staying at my townhouse watching the cats. He texted me a picture of Will sleeping on his lap today. :angry: Traitor!

:lol:

I got up at 6:30 this morning to start my new job, and Chloe came into my room as she usually does at that time (when I'm usually in bed). When she saw me up and moving around she had this look on her face like "Wait a minute, you're not supposed to be awake!"

Sicy said:
Mandy, the vet didnt put Columbus on a special diet? Suggest subq fluids? I'm just surprised, for a cat with kidney failure I dont think medication alone is enough. Unless its in the very very early stages.

Well, yes the vet does think the kidney disease is in the early stages, his numbers were only slightly elevated, and he's not dehydrated, so not in need of any extra hydration at this stage.
They have suggested a special kidney diet, but he doesn't need to eat it all the time, just a couple of days a week at this stage, and just make sure that the rest of his diet is age appropriate and nice wet food - not dry food (which isn't an issue anyway as Columbus doesn't like dry food!).

Well Chloe is pretty much 100% back to normal. She's using the new kind of litter without any problems and her personality is back to her "Sweet, quirky self" as my mom put it. phew! hopefully she'll stay healthy now.

Hope everyone else's kitties are well!

OK scratch that 100% back to normal thing.

This morning her muscles started spasming/twitching again, and it obviously is painful for her and she runs around as if trying to run away from it then usually takes off upstairs and dives under a bed, and she'll hiss at you if you try to pet her.

For all I know it could be completely unrelated to whatever intestinal problem she was having, but something is still wrong.

U2democrat said:
OK scratch that 100% back to normal thing.

This morning her muscles started spasming/twitching again, and it obviously is painful for her and she runs around as if trying to run away from it then usually takes off upstairs and dives under a bed, and she'll hiss at you if you try to pet her.

For all I know it could be completely unrelated to whatever intestinal problem she was having, but something is still wrong.

I'm so sorry to hear that--keeping my fingers crossed! :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom