For Cat Lovers Only VII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics from last night.

Man's best friend?
19%20March%202007%20003.jpg

19%20March%202007%20026.jpg

You can see in these how sometimes her one pupil dilates more than the other (anyone know why?)
19%20March%202007%20005.jpg

19%20March%202007%20017.jpg

Not sure what Beckham was doing back there or how he fit back there...
19%20March%202007%20001.jpg

Poshie in her favorite spot between the curtains and the glass door
19%20March%202007%20009.jpg

19%20March%202007%20014.jpg

Thought you Cat Lovers would love this.

Excerpts from a Dog's Diary

6:00am - At last! I Go Pee! My favorite thing!

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!

10:30am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!

12:00pm - Lunch! My favorite thing!

1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!

3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!

5:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!

6:00 pm - They're home! My favorite thing!

7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!

8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!

11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Diary

Day 983 of my captivity. My captors continue to taunt me with
bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while
the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets.
Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I
nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength. The
only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to
disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at
their feet.

I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it
clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made
condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I
was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event.
However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my
confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this
means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one
of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must
try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs. I am convinced
that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog
receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be
more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird has got
to be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly.
I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged
protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For
now...

I think I'm calling the vet tomorrow. The more I think about it and notice, the more I don't like Marijke having anisocoria. She has no other symptoms and already tested negative for FIV and leukemia, but I guess if she did have other symptoms at least it would be easier to figure out why. I read that it is a symptom of FIP, and I know the chances are very very slight, but after what happened with Eden, if I have another cat with FIP I want it dealt with immediately.

The better news is Marijke is now grooming Beckham, which they haven't done before. I also got her a new comb today since her Maine Coonish hair is getting out of control.

Last edited:
Liesje said:
I think I'm calling the vet tomorrow. The more I think about it and notice, the more I don't like Marijke having anisocoria.

I was just going to say, after looking at that pic I'd have her checked out. It wouldnt hurt to be safe. She is a really sweet looking girl. I hope its not serious.

Ugh. Last night we were out of cat food so I found a better quality one to try. I mixed it with the one they already like, but Beckham just puked it ALL up. :tsk:

Did you start with just a small mix like 75% old food 25% new food? Some cats need to switch over very gradually, while others can eat anything thing and not even be affected.

Maybe he ate too fast? My parents' cat Leon does that sometimes and then throws up. He acts like such a dog sometimes, especially when it comes to eating!

After three weeks, Jack's eye wasn't all the way better, so we went back to the vet Monday. We saw his regular vet, and she tested his eye for chlamydia, which he had a few years ago, and it turns out that's what he has. So now he's on his fourth medication in a month. I wish the other vet in the office had checked him for that during our first visit. It might've saved me most of the $200 I've spent at the vet this month :huh:

Jack, meanwhile, is his usual self. He brought me a toy mouse and dropped it on my pillow at five o'clock this morning.

Poor Jack :hug:

On the weekends Saki wakes me up by either knocking the furniture out of my doll house, or bringing his toy mousie up on the bed and frantically playing with it right on top of me :angry: :lol:

Yep, it was a mix. They always eat a mix of two foods anyway, so the new food was mixed with the other food that is always mixed in, and whatever was left of the old 50/50 mix. He got less than half of new food.

He does eat insanely fast so I may start feeding them 3 times a day, 1/4 1/4 1/2 instead of 1/2 1/2. I have to give 1/2 at bedtime or they get too hungry during the night (and then eat even faster in the morning).

Thanks guys. It's weird b/c it doesn't always happen. I was beginning to doubt myself, thinking I was being overly sensitive. Then I woke her up from a nap and sure enough, one eye dilated farther so I freaked and called the vet. It's usually noticeable when they are like slits, especially if you are in the light and say "Marijke!" and she looks right into the light. You can see one stay bigger. I thought maybe she's blind in one eye or something, but if I cover up one eye and pretend to smack her, she reacts. Same for the other eye.

Liesje said:
Marijke's going to the vet Friday at 4:45....

:sigh:

It's anisocoria right? I did a small research for you in my school books... It's probably some problem in the simpathetic or parassimpathetic (is this how you say in english?) part of the nervous sistem. Generally there are no major problems;) But I don't know what can cause it. But she will be fine I'm sure:)

Thanks :hug: Your English is fine. Yes, anisocoria is what it's called. I also read that 70% of cats who have this are not diagnosed to have any of the serious problems that can cause it, so hopefully it's just a quirk. But it can be a symptom of leukemia and FIP and since I have other cats who could be susceptible, I'd like to at least rule that out. Also, if she did have a disease, I'd want to tell the owners of the cats who also adopted from this PALS class so they can get their cats checked.

^^ I know that :D I'm a future Vet but things related with the eye were a little forgotten :reject: so I went looking for it on my last year books... This is a good trainning for me;) Right now I'm studing FIP... I'll tell you if I notice something related that could help you;) But the best thing to do is take her to a real professional...

FIP :( One of our cats died of that. Horrible, horrible, horrible thing. I hope you only ever have to study it and don't experience it. If Marijke has FIP I will count my blessings and say goodbye. I will never allow another animal suffer even one day the way Eden suffered.

I don't think so;) she would probably have ascites (water in abdomen) or pleural effusion and she would eat less and lose weight. In the eye the signs usually include uveitis, aquaous or vitreous flare... I don't think that's the case:)

That is exactly what happened to Eden, among other horrendous things, however she showed no signs at first besides the disease mimicking a bad UTI. It took a while for it to progress to the point where her belly was obviously swollen and she slowly stopped eating.

Marijke has no other problems but the eye, and that she was malnourished and very underweight as a kitten. The only reason I'll bring up FIP to the vet is b/c Eden died of it, thus making it likely that one or both of my cats now carry it and could pass it to Marijke. My understanding is that only very few cats develop the disease from the odd mutation, even though the corona virus is commonly carried by cats.

You know a lot about cats! Yes they can carry the virus but cases of severe disease are rare. Corona can cause diarrhoea but that doesn't mean the cat will develop FIP. But they can pass it to other cats who can be more sensitive and develope a severe disease. But most cats have specific antibodies for that and usually they know how to do their job;) So maybe you cats are imune to that...

I only know a lot about that because when Eden first started getting sick, "FIP" never stuck out in any of our Internet research. In fact, two separate vets treated her for what they thought were her problems (UTI, URI, and kitty depression) before we were called out of the blue and told she had to be put down immediately. Then we researched it a lot because we had three other cats.

I'm assuming that my older two are definitely immune, since it's been over a year since they were first exposed and a year since Eden died from it. My only fear is that since Marijke was sickly when we adopted her and my cats probably carry the virus, it could have affected her since she was already sick.

But I know the chance is so small, I really shouldn't worry. I just like to be prepared for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom