For Cat Lovers Only VII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc. - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #421
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:26 AM
Wow, that's really random! Weird how that works out. I watched some show on Animal Planet once about a labrador retriever being bred. I think they bred two yellow labs and ended up with a majority of black lab pups! I've also read that in some cat cloning experiments, the cloned cats have different patterns than the original, despite them being genetically the same cat (they were trying to prove to people that you shouldn't clone a dying cat to get a replica for your next pet, b/c it may not look the same!). Genetics is too confusing for me...

Old 05-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #422
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
Genetics is too confusing for me...

you and me both sistah!

It hurts my brain...

Old 05-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #423
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:26 AM
I dont know how it works, but I see kittens that dont look a thing like their parents all the time.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:52 PM   #424
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:26 PM
I'm about 90% certain it's impossible for a truly 'pure white' and 'pure black' cross to result in a tortoiseshell; basically either the mother has to be tortie herself, or else either she or the father has to be a ginger cat. But, the ginger might be a diluted ginger and so appear to be a pale cream/buff color; or a van- or point-pattern tortie might appear at first glance to be 'pure white' because the brindled patches might be very pale and limited to the tips of the head or tail; or occasionally a tortie appears to be all-black because of the way the slugout between the two genes that create the brindling effect panned out.

I *think*.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 05-12-2007, 08:41 PM   #425
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
I'm about 90% certain it's impossible for a truly 'pure white' and 'pure black' cross to result in a tortoiseshell; basically either the mother has to be tortie herself, or else either she or the father has to be a ginger cat. But, the ginger might be a diluted ginger and so appear to be a pale cream/buff color; or a van- or point-pattern tortie might appear at first glance to be 'pure white' because the brindled patches might be very pale and limited to the tips of the head or tail; or occasionally a tortie appears to be all-black because of the way the slugout between the two genes that create the brindling effect panned out.

I *think*.

here's a link to some genetic info on cats :http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/tricolors.shtml

it's very possible that one of the parents could of been buff/cream color.. Remember I am relying on my hubby's memory and his 'sense of color'. But he's positive that the other parent was all black. And also that the litter was 2 white (possibly cream) and 2 blacks and our cat.. gray and tan.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:44 PM   #426
Blue Crack Addict

Sniffing inside my purse...

Old 05-12-2007, 11:10 PM   #427
Blue Crack Addict

awwwwwwwww babydoll.. what a cutie and a beauty!
Old 05-12-2007, 11:14 PM   #428
Blue Crack Addict

I think the reason Bono came out the way he did even though his Dad is so black is because his Mom is a calico

and she has white, orange and brownish gray stripes. Bono has the white and the orange, but not the dark striped patches. He was probably going to take after her, but since he was a guy he couldn't be a calico so he missed out on half the color so that made him so much more white.

Here he is again:

His sisters were one calico and one black and white, and he had brother all gray striped.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:20 PM   #429
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Fanatic4ever
awwwwwwwww babydoll.. what a cutie and a beauty!
Thank you! You should check out his other pics in the past pages of the thread.

Maybe we could do it like Lemonade Stand pictures thread and have all the cats names with the owners names on the front page... and then when each new pic is added, it just updates on the front page.

What do you all think?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #430
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Babydoll

Maybe we could do it like Lemonade Stand pictures thread and have all the cats names with the owners names on the front page... and then when each new pic is added, it just updates on the front page.

What do you all think?

I like that idea!! I am all for it. Count me in.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:40 PM   #431
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Babydoll

What do you all think?
oooo, I like it, like a "Interferencers and their Fur Kids" thread.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:49 PM   #432
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

oooo, I like it, like a "Interferencers and their Fur Kids" thread.

fur kids!! that is what I say about my cat. I always joke that she is my first child, my furry one.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:43 AM   #433
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:26 AM
Nice idea, but I dont have time to go through 7 Cat lovers threads to collect the pics. If someone else wants to however, feel free
Old 05-13-2007, 02:52 AM   #434
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Fanatic4ever
here's a link to some genetic info on cats :http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/tricolors.shtml

it's very possible that one of the parents could of been buff/cream color.. Remember I am relying on my hubby's memory and his 'sense of color'. But he's positive that the other parent was all black. And also that the litter was 2 white (possibly cream) and 2 blacks and our cat.. gray and tan.
Actually, good thing for me I said "about 90% certain" before, because I just finished reading about what causes whiteness in cats, and it turns out that almost all white cats are white because they have either at least one dominant white 'masking' gene ('masking' meaning overrides other genes for color), or else two recessive genes for albinism (which makes other genes for color unable to function). So really, the rest of their coloring genes could potentially code for just about anything, and their offspring could definitely express those traits as long as they don't also wind up with a genetic combination causing whiteness. So actually, that's probably the explanation right there...a lot more likely than a ginger so diluted it looks white, or a tortoiseshell that looks black.

If any of the black kittens were female, then that would mean the mother had to be the white parent. In any case, the black parent was the source of Isabella's gray color, and the white parent was the source of the brown color.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 05-13-2007, 03:41 AM   #435
Refugee

Local Time: 01:56 AM
Hey Sicy Thanks for the info on renal failure. That procedure you mentioned is what the vet wants to do. I'll be taking Columbus in some time in the next couple of weeks - after my next pay!!!

Hi to all the new kitties and kitty-lovers here