For Cat Lovers Only VII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc. - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2007, 04:40 PM   #316
Refugee

Local Time: 09:45 AM
If she doesn't eat it can be a lot of things... But if she doesn't show any will to eat it's probably a digestive problem... what was the aspect of the diarrhea? Was it black or the normal colour of feces? Was it just once?

Old 05-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #317
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by annie_vox
If she doesn't eat it can be a lot of things... But if she doesn't show any will to eat it's probably a digestive problem... what was the aspect of the diarrhea? Was it black or the normal colour of feces? Was it just once?
It was just once, normal color, just runny poop. However, we can't even say with certainty it was her.

We bought a small bag of their favorite food that I used before we switched to a better quality food. We mixed a little with a little of the current food. She eats all the old food and leaves the current food, so I guess whatever happened she's associating feeling sick with the current food. I guess we'll be switching back

Old 05-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #318
Refugee

Local Time: 09:45 AM
You should try that then... but if the colour of the diarrhea was normal then there's no blood in it and probably it's not serious... But you should take her to the Vet if she doesn't eat normally one more day...
Old 05-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #319
Blue Crack Addict

I think she's fine now, besides not eating the new kibble. She ate that little bit of the old kind. I gave her a little more a later on b/c she hadn't eaten in 24 hrs and I didn't want her scarfing it all at once. I also just let them all share a can of wet food. I never use wet food, but figured I'd get some as a treat, in case she hasn't been drinking and needs some liquid. They ate that right up!

Does anyone feed canned food? How much do you give them? I split the can in three and even then, it seemed like they were getting a lot more wet food than a normal kibble meal.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #320
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:45 AM
I'm confused. Did you switch the food brands entirely, or just more fresh? I can't switch foods with my cats. One is okay, but the other two will vomit and have diarrhea for days after.

As for canned cat food, I give it to them once in the mornings, split it up into sixths (so for three cats, a can lasts 2 days), then give them the dry food at night.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #321
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ylimeU2
I'm confused. Did you switch the food brands entirely, or just more fresh? I can't switch foods with my cats. One is okay, but the other two will vomit and have diarrhea for days after.
They used to eat Authority Indoor Adult. Two weeks ago, I switched to Blue Buffalo, which they've all been eating fine until last night when Posh seemed sick and stopped eating it. This morning, she was OK again but still wouldn't touch the Blue Buffalo, so this afternoon we bought a small bag of the Authority to see if she would eat that. She eats the Authority kibbles and leaves the Blue Buffalo kibbles. I guess we'll be switching back, since they've all been fine on Authority and have better (more solid, less stinky) poops. I'll let the other two finish off the Blue Buffalo and then switch back completely.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #322
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

My nose says thank you

(my desk is right next to the kitty litter. It definately was runny and stinky poo lately.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:34 PM   #323
Blue Crack Addict

The bad thing about cats not eating is they get run down so fast. I've had cats get so weak and lightweight I had to take them to the vet for fluid shots. They were dehydrated and after that they got their appetites back. I hope she'll be okay.

I know you might not want to do this, but my 'Sneak' gets to where she won't eat and tries to bury her food like a dog buries a bone, making the kitty litter burying paw motion at the plate! When she gets like this, I give her a plate of human tunafish and let her eat in peace away from the other cats. That does the trick and she eats like a hog and the next day she's okay. As a matter of fact I had to do that with her just tonight.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:49 AM   #324
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:45 AM
Well I've been through quite the ordeal
Patches my outside semi-feral cat was in a fight with this bastard un neutered tom that keeps coming over and trying to eat their food and fight with them. She had a huge wound on her tail and a enormous abcess under her arm I only noticed the big abcess last nite and I think the fight happened on Saturday. I've been struggling because I know she needed to go to the vet but I have never tried to take her to the vet and I didnt know how she would react since she was 100% feral but I have socialized her over the past 2 years. I just knew that abcesses are nothing to let go.. they could spread toxins through her body and eventually kill her

I managed to get her into a large carrier with no problems surprisingly and to my shock she was actually good at the vets! She let me pull her out and hold her while they took her temp and heartbeat. I thought for sure they would have to sedate her to do the exam. It just made me feel so good because she obviously totally trusts me. My sweet Patches.

So anyway $414 later She has a drain tube under her arm where the huge abcess was and its supposed to stay in there for at least 3 days and then I am supposed to take it out So she is in my tiny bathroom right now with food, water, a box of dirt and the carrier with a blanket in it. I dont know how this is going to work, my cats are sitting at the bathroom door totally curious. I just dont think I should let her back outside until I am able to take the drain thing out. And I have to give her antibiotics for 7 days. I am praying she will eat it crushed in food.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:18 AM   #325
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
And I have to give her antibiotics for 7 days. I am praying she will eat it crushed in food.
Poor kitty. But she will feel a lot better now. I've never had a vet put in a drain tube, but once Max did have an abscess which actually was draining opened up more so it could drain better. They generally feel a whole lot better once the abscess is opened and draining.

If she eats canned food how does she eat it? Does she bite good sized chunks and swallow them quickly? If so, I've found it's pretty easy to give pills (even antibiotics) by breaking them in half (fourths if they are very large) and putting them in a small amount of the loaf or chopped (you know, fairly solid) cat food. I find if you crush the pill the cats really taste it and won't eat it.

If she's a more dainty eater I don't have a whole lot of easy ways to give pills.

My Loki cat first came into the house when he got an eye scratched in a fight and had to have his eyelid stitched together. He's been in ever since.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:49 AM   #326
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

If she eats canned food how does she eat it? Does she bite good sized chunks and swallow them quickly? If so, I've found it's pretty easy to give pills (even antibiotics) by breaking them in half (fourths if they are very large) and putting them in a small amount of the loaf or chopped (you know, fairly solid) cat food. I find if you crush the pill the cats really taste it and won't eat it.
Hmm that's a good point. She loves this tuna meow mix wet food I've been feeding them a lot. She usually licks the bowl clean. The pill is already very small so maybe I will try to break it in half and hide it in the wet food.

I guess because the abcess hadnt exploded yet and that it was so big she needs the drain tube because she doesnt need one for her tail.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:36 AM   #327
Refugee

Local Time: 07:45 PM
* i quoted the wrong thing!*
Old 05-03-2007, 04:38 AM   #328
Refugee

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Well I've been through quite the ordeal
Patches my outside semi-feral cat was in a fight with this bastard un neutered tom that keeps coming over and trying to eat their food and fight with them. She had a huge wound on her tail and a enormous abcess under her arm I only noticed the big abcess last nite and I think the fight happened on Saturday. I've been struggling because I know she needed to go to the vet but I have never tried to take her to the vet and I didnt know how she would react since she was 100% feral but I have socialized her over the past 2 years. I just knew that abcesses are nothing to let go.. they could spread toxins through her body and eventually kill her

I managed to get her into a large carrier with no problems surprisingly and to my shock she was actually good at the vets! She let me pull her out and hold her while they took her temp and heartbeat. I thought for sure they would have to sedate her to do the exam. It just made me feel so good because she obviously totally trusts me. My sweet Patches.

So anyway $414 later She has a drain tube under her arm where the huge abcess was and its supposed to stay in there for at least 3 days and then I am supposed to take it out So she is in my tiny bathroom right now with food, water, a box of dirt and the carrier with a blanket in it. I dont know how this is going to work, my cats are sitting at the bathroom door totally curious. I just dont think I should let her back outside until I am able to take the drain thing out. And I have to give her antibiotics for 7 days. I am praying she will eat it crushed in food.
Poor thing! My cats have been beaten up like that, and it's just awful (except Caesar's abscess bursted and it stunk like hell and luckily have not had a problem with it since!).......i was told by my friend if the menace cat came back again (this is only if you can get near it!) place a note wrapped on its collar (obviuosly ferals don't have one!) so you can let the owners know what damge their cat has done to yours and if they do not keep their cat under control you are going to humanely catch it and put it in the pound. She believed it worked for her.......her nuisance cat never came back again....she reckons the cat owners must have had the cats canollis removed!
Old 05-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #329
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
I'm sorry about Patches .
Old 05-03-2007, 08:26 AM   #330
Blue Crack Addict

Wow, good on you for having the tube put in! Those things are deadly if they can't drain.