For Cat Lovers Only VII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two pictures of my Kiki:

Tarekinha.jpg

TareceLucy008.jpg

She likes to relax after her very complicated cat days:wink:

And I hope Beckham feels better soon :hug:

Too many sick kitties these days :( Jack's eye problem seems to be back, but I'm thinking it might just be allergies, since he's been sniffly and sneezing a lot. I started him on his eye ointment again, and if he doesn't respond to it, it will be back to the vet for him.

I took Jack and went down to my parents' house to cat sit for them while they were out of town last weekend. I hadn't seen Leon and Logan since Christmas, so it was good to see them again. Leon weighs 23 pounds now :ohmy:

Well, I took Columbus off to his new vet this morning (we were unhappy with our old one, they didn't seem to take anything we said seriously)
HissyClaw.gif

So poor Columbus had some bloods taken to see if we could find out why he's lost weight and why he's vomiting so much. Turns out he has a high creatinine - a sign of early kidney failure
sad.gif

The vet wants me to try and get a urine specimen from Columbus - but he goes outside to go to the toilet, and will never use the litter tray we have inside for Jewel - so I have a feeling that is going to be an impossible task. The only other option is for him to spend the day in the hospital and they will get a specimen a more invasive way!!

From what the vet was saying it sounds like Columbus might have to be on medication and a special diet for the rest of his life!! And seeing that he is only 10 - that might (hopefully) be a very long time.

Does anyone else here have a cat with kidney disease? Have you been able to manage it successfully with medication? And has anyone had to get a urine specimen from their cat before?

I think Sicy's family cat has kidney problems so she can probably tell you a lot about managing it.

As for collecting urine, we had a cat with chronic UTIs and finally we took her to our good vet (there are like six and usually we take whoever's available, but this time we chose to have the best one) and he wanted to do some tests on her urine so he just pressed on her bladder in the right spot and some urine shot out for him to collect. It was kinda nasty, but we didn't have to go home and wait for her to pee! :wink:

So thanks again everyone for your input when I questionned what to do when my boyfriend's daughter comes over because of Misha's intense dislike for her.

Fortunately, the little girl only came in for a few minutes as she was staying elsewhere with her mother. Funny thing is that Misha (Siamese) only met Sophie once before, back in February, and yet she must have recognized her voice instantly because within minutes of entering the apt Misha had run and hidden in a box in the far closet of my bedroom (Misha didn't actually see Sophie, just heard her). The only other time she did this was when I punished Misha for hissing at Sophia back in February! (I only sprayed a bit of water but she hates the stuff). Who knows if Misha ran away to hide because she remembers Sophie is a child or because she associates Sophie with punishment but I was very impressed with her memory!

mandy1973 said:
Well, I took Columbus off to his new vet this morning (we were unhappy with our old one, they didn't seem to take anything we said seriously)
HissyClaw.gif

So poor Columbus had some bloods taken to see if we could find out why he's lost weight and why he's vomiting so much. Turns out he has a high creatinine - a sign of early kidney failure
sad.gif

The vet wants me to try and get a urine specimen from Columbus - but he goes outside to go to the toilet, and will never use the litter tray we have inside for Jewel - so I have a feeling that is going to be an impossible task. The only other option is for him to spend the day in the hospital and they will get a specimen a more invasive way!!

From what the vet was saying it sounds like Columbus might have to be on medication and a special diet for the rest of his life!! And seeing that he is only 10 - that might (hopefully) be a very long time.

Does anyone else here have a cat with kidney disease? Have you been able to manage it successfully with medication? And has anyone had to get a urine specimen from their cat before?

My cat Miss Purrl was diagnosed with being in the early stages of kidney failure when she was 17 years old. She was put on a special diet food (I think it was Eukanuba), which she would only eat if we poured the water from a can on tuna on it. :yes:
She did well with that for the rest of her days--lost her when she was 20-1/2 years old, to gum cancer that quickly ate through to her sinuses. But the kidney part did well! Reading over this, I realize that it sounds really grim--the bottom line is that she responded to the special diet and did well and had three more comfortable years.

Poor Columbus :( :hug:

The easiest way to get a urine sample is to have the vet do a cystosynthesis (sp?) where they just stick a needle in his bladder and pull the urine out that way. It really only takes like a minute and my cats have never had a problem with this. The only other way since he goes outside would be to confine him to a bathroom or something with a litterbox with little to no litter in it, then collect the sample that way. But it wont be as sterile and you have to get it there rather quickly.

ChiChi our 18 year old family cat is living with Kidney Disease (CRF). Here is a link. http://www.felinecrf.com/ It has tons of info. ChiChi refuses to eat the special diet but I believe what's keeping her going is the subq fluid injections every other day. This is key. You can do this at home and usually you need 2 people. One to hold the cat and the other to inject the fluids under her skin (nape of neck). The fluids help flush the toxins out of the body since that is the function of the kidneys. When the kidneys are failing they have a harder time flushing the toxins.

She's been living with CRF for almost 3 years now. Since Columbus is so young I think he will have many more years left with proper treatment :up:

Yes, I too am a cat lover. I have had cats all my life.. Dogs too but Cats I have always been super close with.. Like a child. So the very special cat or furry child in my life now is Isabella. :love: And I have had her since she was a kitten. She is 14 now and still acts like a kitten at times.. I admit she has slowed down now, she sleeps more but still loves to play with ribbons.

Introducing Isabella (perched in her fav spot, our bathroom):

Isabella.jpg

:wink:

Last edited:
livviebway said:
She's lovely! Is she a Russian Blue?

Thanks!:wink:

well no she's not a Russian Blue but thanks.. She's just a mix. Her parents were a solid white and a solid black. The litter she came from had two whites, two blacks and her.. Genetics...wow.. a mystery.. I guess down the road on either side there were ancestors had more of mix like her (grays, calico, or orange tabby).

Last edited:
Here's some good pics of my big black and white cat who is Bono's Dad. Look at his pretty sea green eyes and perfect pastel pink nose with no spots. :cute:

fiestyface.jpg

fiestyeyes2.jpg

and here's sweet little Constance Marie :love:

stance.jpg

U2Fanatic4ever said:

question,

can a dilute torti come from parents who were one all black and one all white?

How does the genetics work to get a dilute torti?

Depends. I don't know enough about coloring and pattern genetics to say which are dominant and which are recessive. I'm also unsure as to whether a "dilute" torti is actually some other gene diluting the torti, or a seperate coloring we just call diluted because that's what it looks like. Maybe Sicy will know. Marijke is a torbi (torti+tabby), not dilute b/c she's black and brown rather than gray and tan.
May%203-6.jpg

Do you know if the all-white was a true double merle/"lethal white"? A pure white cat with blue eyes (as opposed to red eyes like in albino animals) is very rare and they are almost always deaf and have other health problems. This is usually true for lethal white dogs as well and lethal white horses will not survive more than a week.

Liesje said:

Depends. I don't know enough about coloring and pattern genetics to say which are dominant and which are recessive. I'm also unsure as to whether a "dilute" torti is actually some other gene diluting the torti, or a seperate coloring we just call diluted because that's what it looks like. Maybe Sicy will know. Marijke is a torbi (torti+tabby), not dilute b/c she's black and brown rather than gray and tan.
May%203-6.jpg

Do you know if the all-white was a true double merle/"lethal white"? A pure white cat with blue eyes (as opposed to red eyes like in albino animals) is very rare and they are almost always deaf and have other health problems. This is usually true for lethal white dogs as well and lethal white horses will not survive more than a week.

lies, I don't know about her parents very well. My hubby got her from someone/a friend just six months prior to me meeting him and becoming isabella's 'mom'. I can ask him if he remembers more but all he said was one parent was all white and the other was all black. The litter had 2 whites, 2 blacks and isabella.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom