For Cat Lovers Only VII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My boyfriend is coming down this weekend with his 5-yr old daughter and I'm a bit nervous about the impending visit because last time she visited, my Misha (siamese) hissed every time she approached her! I told her to approach Misha calmly but it didn't seem to matter...

Any way I can get Misha used to kids? It might prove to be a problem when I have kids of my own, I really don't want to get rid of her :sad:

Amm try getting his daughter to give your cat little pieces of ham or some food she likes/Get her to play with your cat with string or something like that. Sometimes cats don't like young children because they tend to pull their tails etc. If Misha still hisses I would just keep her away from the child while shes visiting!

Good luck :):up:

Siamese cats can be very territorial and are emotionally high maintenance, at least compared to other breeds of cats. Cat people often say they are more like dogs than cats, with their demand for affection and their smarts. They can be quite stubborn and independent; they like things to go their way.

I don't know as much about cat psychology as I do about dogs, but if the Siamese cat was a dog, I would have the girl ignore the cat for a while, don't even approach it "nicely" (because what's nice to us isn't always as nice for the cat) or give it treats, just ignore it. Then after the cat gets over the presence of the girl, she can call to the cat and show it that she has treats. The cat will be rewarded when it decides to approach her. She need not bring treats to it b/c it may feel threatened and react aggressively out of fear. Basically, desensitize the cat by the presence of the girl, but nothing hands on. If the girl tries to pick up the cat, it might only become more scared and angry and the process will take longer.

I don't know if this will work, but that's how I would start!

Sicy said:

You dont. That's why they are kittens, and that's why they are a handful and harder to take care of than older cats.

But easier to deal with than puppies or human babies! :lol:

Liesje said:
Siamese cats can be very territorial and are emotionally high maintenance, at least compared to other breeds of cats. Cat people often say they are more like dogs than cats, with their demand for affection and their smarts. They can be quite stubborn and independent; they like things to go their way.

Amen to that :lol:.

They're sometimes very "one person" cats too.

I would have her just not approach the cat and the cat can approach her if it wants to.

kellyahern said:

Amen to that :lol:.

They're sometimes very "one person" cats too.

Oh gosh, yes!! Max is so extremely attached to Katie, the minute she is out of his sight, he yowls and looks for her... He is okay with the rest of us, but he is attached to Kt moreso than anyone else!

Liesje said:
I don't know as much about cat psychology as I do about dogs, but if the Siamese cat was a dog, I would have the girl ignore the cat for a while, don't even approach it "nicely" (because what's nice to us isn't always as nice for the cat) or give it treats, just ignore it. Then after the cat gets over the presence of the girl, she can call to the cat and show it that she has treats. The cat will be rewarded when it decides to approach her.
Our cats aren't interested in treats, but we had to go through a similar process with them with our younger two kids, because like many cats, they're fine with older children but wary and bitey around younger ones. When our younger kids were baby/toddler stage it wasn't so much of an issue, as the cats ran from them and they weren't fast enough to follow, but once they got to early preschool age the rule was: never touch the cats yourself--ask mom or dad or Akiva (older brother) first. Then what we'd do was hold the cat ourselves with the child sitting nearby, pet the cat (while holding it firmly) until it was clearly calm, then allow them to pet its back with us continuing to hold it just in case it wigged out. Not entirely dissimilar to what we did to get the cats used to close contact with Falstaff (dog) really--the idea was to habituate the cat to their touch in a setting where it felt safe and protected, yet was under our control at the same time. In our younger son's case, he seemed used enough to the cats by around age 6 (which was recent) that we felt comfortable easing up on the no-touch rule, on the grounds that he's now old enough not to freak out if the cat does whirl and nip while being petted for some reason, as most cats will do occasionally. Our daughter is still not allowed to handle them herself.

Not sure if this would work with a Siamese or not--I'm not familiar with them and don't have a good sense of how different their psychology might be. But it's worked pretty well for us.

I have three cats and my six year old nephew just came to visit not long ago. I was 9 when I got my now oldest cat, so none of them are really use to being around kids. He was very gentle with them, but they were still really jumpy around them. In part, they just seemed to be skittish by a child, who moves around more and faster then an adult. My nephew was here for a week and by the time he left, the cats had somewhat adjusted. Approaching them when they were in plain view (meaning, looking for them was off limits) with one of us helped. We also let my nephew give them their food a few times.

I had one cat that would not come near anyone but my mom, no matter what. If your cat is a one person cat to that extreme, I don't realy have any ideas. But from my experience, being gentle and letting the cats be introduced as much on their on terms as possible really seemed to help.

Something is wrong with Posh!!!

Earlier when I got home from work I found her in our bed, which is not unusual, but typically she makes a little "mew" to say hello and she didn't. I scratched her and she just lay still and barely opened her eyes. I figured she was tired. I even said to her "Wow you must have been doing a lot of chasing today."

Then, we found a diarrhea spot on the edge of the litter box. We figured it was Beckham, since he goes in the sink and tries to lick stuff off of dishes, plus he has the sensitive stomach.

But then, Phil came out and said Posh never touched ANY of her food. BIG red flag. I've never ever seen any of my cats not eat their meal. We found her by the window and called her name but she didn't "mew" back or look up.

She's not dehydrated and she will kinda get up and walk around, but she won't eat her food. I put her in our room and she just lays down. However, I did run a string by her when I was untying a blanket for her and she attacked it. Phil thinks she's kinda bloated, but maybe we're paranoid. This is how she acts when she gets a shot, but she hasn't had a shot since October and I can't think of anything she may have eaten. There's no food or cleaning supplies out and I don't have any plants. The only weird thing is that they sometimes drink out of the fish tank, but they've been doing that since forever. The good thing is that like I said she attacked a string and when we rub her back, she stretches and digs her claws in the ground like she always does when she enjoys this.

She's sleeping with us tonight (they do some insane wrestling matches at night and don't want her subjected to that) and if she still isn't perky tomorrow I'm going to the vet....

Thanks everyone for your replies and valuable input! Sophia (boyfriend's daughter) is only used to small dogs which she can chase, pick up and play with - she doesn't quite understand that cats, and especially siamese I think, are a different breed altogether and must be approached and handled differently. (Btw, she's not a one-person cat - she's very affectionate with everyone). I will put all your suggestions to use!

I'm going to try and explain it to her but poor thing takes it personally "Why doesn't Misha like me?"

Poor Posh - I hope she feels better by morning.... :)

Last edited:
I don't know what her problem is. She slept on my pillow all night and this morning was "talking" to me like normal. She was standing up on the bed and walking around so I thought she was OK but she still refuses to eat. I fed the others and got Posh a fresh scoop, she ate two kibbles and then walked away. Other than that, she seems fine now. I didn't take her in because going to the vet is a big deal for her and I know she'd be worse off than she is right now if she had to go in the car.

If she doesn't eat it can be a lot of things... But if she doesn't show any will to eat it's probably a digestive problem... what was the aspect of the diarrhea? Was it black or the normal colour of feces? Was it just once?

annie_vox said:
If she doesn't eat it can be a lot of things... But if she doesn't show any will to eat it's probably a digestive problem... what was the aspect of the diarrhea? Was it black or the normal colour of feces? Was it just once?

It was just once, normal color, just runny poop. However, we can't even say with certainty it was her.

We bought a small bag of their favorite food that I used before we switched to a better quality food. We mixed a little with a little of the current food. She eats all the old food and leaves the current food, so I guess whatever happened she's associating feeling sick with the current food. I guess we'll be switching back :huh:

You should try that then... but if the colour of the diarrhea was normal then there's no blood in it and probably it's not serious... But you should take her to the Vet if she doesn't eat normally one more day...

I think she's fine now, besides not eating the new kibble. She ate that little bit of the old kind. I gave her a little more a later on b/c she hadn't eaten in 24 hrs and I didn't want her scarfing it all at once. I also just let them all share a can of wet food. I never use wet food, but figured I'd get some as a treat, in case she hasn't been drinking and needs some liquid. They ate that right up!

Does anyone feed canned food? How much do you give them? I split the can in three and even then, it seemed like they were getting a lot more wet food than a normal kibble meal.

I'm confused. Did you switch the food brands entirely, or just more fresh? I can't switch foods with my cats. One is okay, but the other two will vomit and have diarrhea for days after.

As for canned cat food, I give it to them once in the mornings, split it up into sixths (so for three cats, a can lasts 2 days), then give them the dry food at night.

ylimeU2 said:
I'm confused. Did you switch the food brands entirely, or just more fresh? I can't switch foods with my cats. One is okay, but the other two will vomit and have diarrhea for days after.

They used to eat Authority Indoor Adult. Two weeks ago, I switched to Blue Buffalo, which they've all been eating fine until last night when Posh seemed sick and stopped eating it. This morning, she was OK again but still wouldn't touch the Blue Buffalo, so this afternoon we bought a small bag of the Authority to see if she would eat that. She eats the Authority kibbles and leaves the Blue Buffalo kibbles. I guess we'll be switching back, since they've all been fine on Authority and have better (more solid, less stinky) poops. I'll let the other two finish off the Blue Buffalo and then switch back completely.

The bad thing about cats not eating is they get run down so fast. I've had cats get so weak and lightweight I had to take them to the vet for fluid shots. They were dehydrated and after that they got their appetites back. I hope she'll be okay.

I know you might not want to do this, but my 'Sneak' gets to where she won't eat and tries to bury her food like a dog buries a bone, making the kitty litter burying paw motion at the plate! When she gets like this, I give her a plate of human tunafish and let her eat in peace away from the other cats. That does the trick and she eats like a hog and the next day she's okay. As a matter of fact I had to do that with her just tonight.

Last edited:
Well I've been through quite the ordeal :sigh:
Patches my outside semi-feral cat was in a fight with this bastard un neutered tom that keeps coming over and trying to eat their food and fight with them. She had a huge wound on her tail and a enormous abcess under her arm :( I only noticed the big abcess last nite and I think the fight happened on Saturday. I've been struggling because I know she needed to go to the vet but I have never tried to take her to the vet and I didnt know how she would react since she was 100% feral but I have socialized her over the past 2 years. I just knew that abcesses are nothing to let go.. they could spread toxins through her body and eventually kill her :(

I managed to get her into a large carrier with no problems surprisingly and to my shock she was actually good at the vets! She let me pull her out and hold her while they took her temp and heartbeat. I thought for sure they would have to sedate her to do the exam. It just made me feel so good because she obviously totally trusts me. My sweet Patches. :heart:

So anyway $414 later :sad: She has a drain tube under her arm where the huge abcess was and its supposed to stay in there for at least 3 days and then I am supposed to take it out :huh: So she is in my tiny bathroom right now with food, water, a box of dirt and the carrier with a blanket in it. I dont know how this is going to work, my cats are sitting at the bathroom door totally curious. I just dont think I should let her back outside until I am able to take the drain thing out. And I have to give her antibiotics for 7 days. :crack: I am praying she will eat it crushed in food.

Sicy said:
And I have to give her antibiotics for 7 days. :crack: I am praying she will eat it crushed in food.

Poor kitty. :( But she will feel a lot better now. I've never had a vet put in a drain tube, but once Max did have an abscess which actually was draining opened up more so it could drain better. They generally feel a whole lot better once the abscess is opened and draining.

If she eats canned food how does she eat it? Does she bite good sized chunks and swallow them quickly? If so, I've found it's pretty easy to give pills (even antibiotics) by breaking them in half (fourths if they are very large) and putting them in a small amount of the loaf or chopped (you know, fairly solid) cat food. I find if you crush the pill the cats really taste it and won't eat it.

If she's a more dainty eater I don't have a whole lot of easy ways to give pills.

My Loki cat first came into the house when he got an eye scratched in a fight and had to have his eyelid stitched together. He's been in ever since. :)

indra said:

If she eats canned food how does she eat it? Does she bite good sized chunks and swallow them quickly? If so, I've found it's pretty easy to give pills (even antibiotics) by breaking them in half (fourths if they are very large) and putting them in a small amount of the loaf or chopped (you know, fairly solid) cat food. I find if you crush the pill the cats really taste it and won't eat it.

Hmm that's a good point. She loves this tuna meow mix wet food I've been feeding them a lot. She usually licks the bowl clean. The pill is already very small so maybe I will try to break it in half and hide it in the wet food.

I guess because the abcess hadnt exploded yet and that it was so big she needs the drain tube because she doesnt need one for her tail.

Sicy said:
Well I've been through quite the ordeal :sigh:
Patches my outside semi-feral cat was in a fight with this bastard un neutered tom that keeps coming over and trying to eat their food and fight with them. She had a huge wound on her tail and a enormous abcess under her arm :( I only noticed the big abcess last nite and I think the fight happened on Saturday. I've been struggling because I know she needed to go to the vet but I have never tried to take her to the vet and I didnt know how she would react since she was 100% feral but I have socialized her over the past 2 years. I just knew that abcesses are nothing to let go.. they could spread toxins through her body and eventually kill her :(

I managed to get her into a large carrier with no problems surprisingly and to my shock she was actually good at the vets! She let me pull her out and hold her while they took her temp and heartbeat. I thought for sure they would have to sedate her to do the exam. It just made me feel so good because she obviously totally trusts me. My sweet Patches. :heart:

So anyway $414 later :sad: She has a drain tube under her arm where the huge abcess was and its supposed to stay in there for at least 3 days and then I am supposed to take it out :huh: So she is in my tiny bathroom right now with food, water, a box of dirt and the carrier with a blanket in it. I dont know how this is going to work, my cats are sitting at the bathroom door totally curious. I just dont think I should let her back outside until I am able to take the drain thing out. And I have to give her antibiotics for 7 days. :crack: I am praying she will eat it crushed in food.

Poor thing! My cats have been beaten up like that, and it's just awful (except Caesar's abscess bursted and it stunk like hell and luckily have not had a problem with it since!).......i was told by my friend if the menace cat came back again (this is only if you can get near it!) place a note wrapped on its collar (obviuosly ferals don't have one!) so you can let the owners know what damge their cat has done to yours and if they do not keep their cat under control you are going to humanely catch it and put it in the pound. She believed it worked for her.......her nuisance cat never came back again....she reckons the cat owners must have had the cats canollis removed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom