For Cat Lovers Only IX - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
solacevip said:
Oh yeah....this is Cevin!

1957700986_384cb1719f.jpg

When we got him, he had just had surgery as he lost the tips of his ears to frostbite. We got him from the Humane Society....

Awwwww. what a sweetie! :love:

He could be a brother to our Fergus.

122507FergusInTheBox.jpg

Pokey was giving himself a good scratch iin this one. He looks so happy.

IMG_1175.jpg

Yeah, I found a new setting on my camera. :D My poor cats were subjected to my experimentation this morning.

Another one of Pokey.

IMG_1168.jpg

Jack, in one of his funky sleeping positions.

IMG_1173.jpg

Twerpie toes! I have no idea why, but sometimes, he turns one paw in when he sits.

IMG_1127.jpg

And Twerpie and Pokey sleeping near each other. That is as close as they get.

IMG_1156.jpg

Last edited:
OK you guys, I need help. This stray cat came up yesterday, I've
already named her Bela. Someone has wrapped rubber bands around her paw with some sort of paper or bandage.
I don't know what's going on but I've been trying to get the rubber bands off because I'm sure its cutting off her circulation.
I'm freaking out.
She is so loving and obviously hasn't been treated badly because she comes to me, but not enough to where I can hold her and get the bands off.
I can't afford a vet since I just started working last week after being off for 3 months - and haven't gotten a paycheck yet.
Has anyone had any dealings with the society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, will they help?
or do you know of any Safe!! medication I can give her to put her to sleep long enough to get the bands off.
I'm so afraid she is going to loose her paw.
I've wanted a cat for so long and finally have one who's in dire need of help when I'm strapped for funds.
:sad:

Oh that's so sad. :(
You could email bonosloveslave@interference.com, she's a vet. Can you get another person to help you while you try to take them off? Maybe enclose her in your bathroom or something and try to feed her treats something she likes to keep her pre-occupied while you get them off? I would not recommend using anything to put her to sleep unless you talk to a vet about it first. I really think she is going to need a visit. :(

Sicy said:
Oh that's so sad. :(
You could email bonosloveslave@interference.com, she's a vet. Can you get another person to help you while you try to take them off? Maybe enclose her in your bathroom or something and try to feed her treats something she likes to keep her pre-occupied while you get them off? I would not recommend using anything to put her to sleep unless you talk to a vet about it first. I really think she is going to need a visit. :(

Yes, I tried this already. My sister came bye last night and held her in a soft but protective jean jacket so I could get to the bands. I got some of them off - but she tried so hard to get away that I was afraid she would hurt her self worse, and we had to let her go.
I have found a site that sells cat tranquilizers that is given during long trips and grooming, etc. I'm going to try a product called Rescue Remedy that vets recommend for travel and can be bought at some pet stores over the counter.
I'll call some vet's tomorrow and see if I can get another drug called Acepromazine - if I have to pay, so be it..
I'm not going to let her loose the paw.
Thanks

Rescue Remedy is good, I've used it before. There's also something called Feliway which is like a glade plug in that is supposed to release some aroma to calm cats in stressful situations. You can also use a little peroxide to clean out the wound. Good luck with everything and keep us posted :hug:

Sicy said:
Rescue Remedy is good, I've used it before. There's also something called Feliway which is like a glade plug in that is supposed to release some aroma to calm cats in stressful situations. You can also use a little peroxide to clean out the wound. Good luck with everything and keep us posted :hug:

Used peroxide last night and today also emailed bonosloveslave to make sure I know the name of a good drug that works when I call the vet. I think some kids did this, otherwise some really stupid adult needs help.
Thanks Sicy.. :up:

sue4u2 -- I'm glad you got some of them off at least. :hug:

Have you tried scruffing Bela to keep her still while you work on the bands? It will work best with two people -- one to scruff her and hold her other legs and one to work on getting the bands off -- but some cats go totally limp when scruffed and most are at least a lot easier to work with while scruffed.

Let us know how it's going. :hug:

ylimeU2 -- Your kitties are soooo cute! I particularly like the pics of Pokey because he reminds me of my grey cat Loki (except Pokey isn't nearly as beat up and doesn't always look terrified of the camera :wink: ). :)

indra said:
sue4u2 -- I'm glad you got some of them off at least. :hug:

Have you tried scruffing Bela to keep her still while you work on the bands? It will work best with two people -- one to scruff her and hold her other legs and one to work on getting the bands off -- but some cats go totally limp when scruffed and most are at least a lot easier to work with while scruffed.

Let us know how it's going. :hug:

Thanks indra
How is this done? If she would go limp, I could get the bands off in a flash. My sister and I will do anything to help her.
I have calls in to the humane society and local shelter, ARF also. If they don't call me today I going to take her to a vet and just give them the money I have - and tell them to bill me.
Just last night I noticed blood around the tightest bands, she's been knawing at them trying to get them off. Even her sharp teeth can't get under them. It's just too pitiful. :sad:
I'll jump on when I have an update.

edited to say: I just googled "scruffing.. We Will!! be doing this tonight. My sister is going to come over and help. Thanks so much indra...

Last edited:
Aww that just breaks my heart! However from the sounds of it it sounds like she's going to need some work at the vet. They might even have to put her under to really clean up her wounds :( You're doing a great job taking care of her :up:

Just got a call from ARF and she is making arrangements with a nearby vet to take her tomorrow. I'm so happy. If anyone wants to donate to a good cause, Animal Rescue Fund :heart: in your area could use the funds.:yes:
I'm sending my donation as soon as I get paid. :up:
What a relief.

This is how Fergus looked when we took him in, in July 2006:

FergusFlag1.jpg

This is *MR.* Fergus this past September--he's the size of a dog! (I need to get updated pix of both him and Callie.)

Fergus090907.jpg

It's difficult to imagine it's the same kitty-boy--we didn't know when we took him just how emaciated he was. :(

Awwwwww . . . . thank you! He and Callie have even been spied sleeping near each other, with their backsides touching, since the weather has turned so cold. At night, they are both with me. :wink:

Ok first of all I want to say special thanks to Sicy for all the great advice and helping to keep my spirits up during Bela's ordeal. And to indra who advised me on how to handle her. That was valuable information this morning when I had to get her to the vet. I took pics last night and will take some more as soon as she comes out from hiding. She has a cute little hot pink bandage on. however, she doesn't seem to like me too much and she's avoiding me tonight.
Good news is, she is much better. The vet sedated her and removed the rubber bands, and she doesn't have feline lukemia or aids. :up: She is healthy but unfortunately they may have to remove her paw. There has been too much nerve damage from the rubber bands being so tight. It's still up in the air how much of her leg will have to come off :sad: but at least there isn't any infection. I'm taking her back Friday to have her bandage changed and they will make a decision on what to do.
She just came out of her hiding place so I'm going to see if she will let me hold her. I took pics last night and will finish the roll tonight then I can post a couple of pics of her.
Thanks again for all the help and well wishes. :hug:

I'm so glad she's healthy and finally got all the bands removed. That's excellent news. I'm so sorry about her paw needing to be amputated though :sad: (I'd like to smack the snot out of the piss-poor excuse for a human being that did that to her :madspit: ), but luckily cats are very adaptable so she should still have a happy, active life without it. Until it's actually gone however, I'll still hope for an astounding and complete recovery. :yes:

Bela's very lucky to have found you. Thanks so much for helping her and providing her a good and loving home. :hug: I'm really looking forward to seeing pics of her. Glad the scruffing info helped -- you'll almost certainly use it a lot as a cat owner. I don't know how I would manage without it. :)

I cannot imagine anyone doing something so horrible to an innocent little animal. :(
Hopefully, Bela will adjust to whatever they decide. With a loving kittymom like you, she has a head start! :hug:

=^. . ^=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom