For Cat Lovers Only IX - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maurice (my kitty) was a full grown shelter cat when we got him. He was soooo lovable... all he wants to do is snuggle in a lap, he actually burries his head in your tummy or armpit :lol: We have no idea how old he is. But he must have come from a loving home who for some reason couldn't keep him.

Also he's a Japanese Bobtail breed... I don't know anything about the breed... maybe they are just very loveydovey.

My bf painted a picture of Saki for me for Christmas :hyper:
I cant wait to see it! I will post a pic as soon as I get it :yippie:

WildHoneyAlways said:
I've wanted a bengal for ages but with so many kitties in shelters I could never justify spending money on one.

Ditto, and you can probably find one in a shelter somewhere if you really want one. People will spend thousands on a purebred and still dump it when it "does something bad" (read - they never trained it). I am astounded at some of the pedigrees of German Shepherds I've found in shelters. If you are set on one breed, I have often found they will have a message board where people posted about shelter animals. For example, I go to a German Shepherd dog board and there is an entire forum devoted to rescue and pulling dogs from shelters. Many people on the forum got purebred dogs that were first posted on the forum and members helped transport dogs across the country. I would think many cat breeds would have the same time of fan base trying to help them.

Our Eden was not a Bengal, but she was spotted, not striped, and very exotic looking (like and Ocicat). She was from a rescue of 220+ cats. I have seen so many beautiful Siamese, Himalayan, Persians, Ocicats, etc. all dumped in shelters.

Twas a long day...

00006.jpg

I notice often when I bring strays into the house it takes them a while to get comfortable enough to play. Some of the older ones which seem to have been on their own for a long time don't even seem to know how to play. Within a week my newest cat (Little Black Cat aka LBC) seemed pretty much at home here, but he was still kind of reserved. Well, tonight LBC started to play! He and Spunky Butt are romping around the house chasing each other and chirping...it's soooo cute. :cute: :)

cydewaze -- great pic! You make those poor kitties work soooo hard. You mean people! :mad: :lol:

GG -- I love the look she's giving -- it's one of those contemptous "what?" looks cats seem to master so easily. :lmao:

Last edited:
Here are the first blurry photos of Biscuit (ginger) and Jasmine (tortie). These are from a few days ago when they were too scared to go down the stairs, so Sam had to feed them on the stairs themselves. :lol:

Cats016.jpg

Cats017.jpg

Sicy said:
Aww I was going to ask you how they are doing Meggie :cute:

They're doing okay, but still settling in. Jasmine was still losing quite a bit of blood, so we had to take her to the vet a couple of weeks ago, and the vet said it was probably due to roundworms. She gave her an antibiotic injection and we gave her (and Biscuit) the first round of worming medicine, and she was completely better for about a week, but there has been a tiny bit of blood again in the past few days. :sad: The vet said it could be due to stress since they've just started exploring the rest of the house this past week, but it could also still be worms since the first round of medicine would just kill off one stage. She seems fine, otherwise.

They're both still really skittish, which worries me. :( They follow me around the house at a distance and just sit and stare at me from hiding places, but if I acknowledge them at all, they bolt. When I go into the bathroom and shut the door, they paw at the door until I open it, then just sit there and watch me. :huh:

Biscuit will play a little bit with a feather on a stick, but Jasmine will hardly play at all. I very rarely see her curled up; she always looks really wary. I don't really know how to encourage them to relax and not be so scared. :sigh: We're going to Sam's parents' in London until Thursday (my friend is coming in to feed the cats while we're gone), so maybe having a few days to themselves will make them more comfortable in the house. I've had to put sheets over the arms of the sofa and chair, though, because they don't understand the concept of jumping and use their claws to climb up onto the arms (I don't have the heart to tell them off because they aren't sharpening their claws, just climbing, and I don't want them to think they aren't allowed on the sofa).

I don't care if they're not lap cats, but I want them to be happy and healthy. :slant:

How long has it been exactly? I'm surprised they are not more comfortable yet. They almost sound feral or semi/feral to me. How much human contact did they have previously?

As far as the blood, did the vet do a urinalysis? Blood is usually a sign of a urinary infection (been there done that) so that would be one thing I'd check.

When I go into the bathroom and shut the door, they paw at the door until I open it, then just sit there and watch me.

lol.. I think all cats do this, seriously. :cute:

I don't really know how to encourage them to relax and not be so scared.

See if you guys have Feliway there. It's like a glade plug-in but its supposed to be for calming. You can find it at most pet stores. It's a little expensive, but I would try it. Get a couple, for a few rooms, the ones they spend the most time in.

If the cats were feral at all, it will take time to socialize them. Soft speaking, kneeling down at their level, no sudden movements, etc. They'll come around :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom