For Cat Lovers Only IX - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2Girl1978 said:

That is the strangest rule ever. I can't understand why they have to be outside over in the UK.

Me either. They are domestic animals, lol. On another board, someone from the UK asked me, "well what do your cats DO all day then?" and I responded, "same things yours do: eat, play, run around, tackle each other, catch bugs, scratch on stuff, lay in the sun....they just do it all indoors."

I feel like if they had the same problems with unwanted animals that we do here, they would change their minds REALLY fast....

meegannie said:
I just hope they can warm to us and to our house (without destroying anything expensive!). Sam's never had any pets before, I haven't had any in nearly seven years. I feel like a first time parent, and keep having nightmares about being a horrible cat owner. :yikes:

Just make sure they have cat trees and posts, plenty of toys, etc and I really think they will be ok. They definately need cat trees since being outdoors they will be really used to climbing and scratching. It's easy to keep their nails trimmed and you can actually train cats to scratch on certain things then reward them with treats, they'll get the idea fast enough.

I always hated battling Beckham and Posh to trim their nails (for them, it's more about being held and positioned, neither of them enjoy being picked up and held). Then I had to trim the nails of a German Shepherd dog who doesn't like getting her feet touched. :yikes:

Needless to say, my perspective has changed!

wine.jpg

Liesje said:
I always hated battling Beckham and Posh to trim their nails (for them, it's more about being held and positioned, neither of them enjoy being picked up and held). Then I had to trim the nails of a German Shepherd dog who doesn't like getting her feet touched. :yikes:

Needless to say, my perspective has changed!

It's so stessful for Callie for us to try to trim her nails--she doesn't like for anyone to mess with her feet, or to be held when she doesn't want to be. It's worth the trip to PetSmart and paying $8.00 to avoid that stress! :(

Yep, it's typically a two person job for us, with all three cats. However, I did them all on my own the other day, using the dog clippers. Posh is the worse because if we hold her the wrong way, she will empty her anal glands, no joke.

For a long time I was too scared to do the dog's nails. I took her to PetSmart, but for $12 they skipped a nail and barely cut the tips. I've now gotten up the courage to just snip the tips off every few days, as many nails and she will let me at a time. I can hold her so she won't kick, but then someone else has to snip, and she won't let Phil (or men in general) that close.

You're welcome :D

Saki's nails are easy to clip. He just lets me.
Zoey on the other hand is a total bitch. She starts growling and hissing so I can only do a few at a time :wink: Plus its more work because she has extra toes!!

meegannie said:
I have returned from the wilds of Suffolk with two cats! :hyper:

They're hiding under the futon in the guest bedroom.

Yay! Congrats! Are they boys or girls? If one is a boy and one is a girl ... well you know what you have to do asap.. :ohmy:

Did you do all your research on bringing home new cats? :)
They will hide for a while until they get used to the environment. Just make sure to stick their food water and litterbox in the room they're staying in. And let them get used to the house room by room / little by little. Ohh how exciting!

Sicy said:

Yay! Congrats! Are they boys or girls? If one is a boy and one is a girl ... well you know what you have to do asap.. :ohmy:

Did you do all your research on bringing home new cats? :)
They will hide for a while until they get used to the environment. Just make sure to stick their food water and litterbox in the room they're staying in. And let them get used to the house room by room / little by little. Ohh how exciting!

They're both girls -- sisters from the same litter. :) Biscuit is ginger and Jasmine is a tortie. I think we'll keep the names they were given because they seem to know them.

It was a bit stressful bringing them home last night. Sam hadn't driven in two years, and were on these tiny country roads in the dark. Biscuit did really well, but Jasmine got nervous and had diarrhea, so we had to try to wipe her clean in the bathroom as well as we could when we got home. When we tried to take her upstairs, she bolted, and Sam got a claw to the face.

We've got them set up in the guest bedroom now. They seem to be okay now, just very scared! Neither has shown ANY signs of aggression (even when stressed), but they're very shy and nervous cats. I put treats all over the room last night to encourage them to explore, and when I came in this morning to check on them, all the treats were gone (including the ones on the bed and on the windowsill), and they'd finished all of their food and water and used their tray, but they were still cowering under the futon. It's like having magic little elves that we never see. :lol:

We got a massive cat tree yesterday (This one, but we didn't pay anywhere near that amount!), and started to set up when we discovered that one of the stabilising pieces for one of the bases is missing, so we've got to take it all apart again and exchange it today. I also need to buy a brush and comb and some more food (the women we got them from gave us the rest of the bag of the food she'd been feeding them).

I'm worried now because there was a tiny bit of blood in the little tray this afternoon. :( Most of the sites I've looked at say that if the problem continues, a vet should be contacted, so I guess I'll ask about it when I call tomorrow morning to register with a vet and set up an appointment for them to have their vaccinations, be microchipped, book spayings, etc.

Meggie! That is an AWESOME cat tree :drool: And its such a good sign that they came out and ate all the treats and food, and used the box. They will come around. It might take some time but it sounds like they are already doing well. Most of the time they will be so stressed and confused they may not even eat.

About the blood, try not to worry too much. It could be stress. I just went through this with my cats and for Saki it just was a one day thing, but yeah blood is nothing to mess with so hopefully you can get them their vet appts soon. :hug:

Wowzer! (the cat tree) My cats don't have ANY cat tree, but they scratch my furniture and I can't complain since I never taught them otherwise or gave them a scratch post.

Callie used her scratching post from day one--we set her down by it and put her front paws on it. She started scratching, and looked at us as if to say, "I know what this is for, dumb ass!" :lol: Fergus, on the other hand, has no interest at all and would rather slide his claws down the door frame by one of the bedrooms. Fortunately, Alex is able to clip Ferg's claws without much fuss.

Some recent cat pics....

Beckham made a nest in some coats
2096558309_28f5865460.jpg

Posh made a nest in Phil's underwear drawer
2097335568_7535f8af4a.jpg

Marijke, checking if the coast is clear
2088098360_4c494b9d1c_m.jpg
2087310383_a424cc44a5_m.jpg
2087310733_7fbe4e8f7f_m.jpg
2088098060_5d5fa7556f_m.jpg
2088098554_2ab562d8aa_m.jpg

Liesje said:
Wowzer! (the cat tree) My cats don't have ANY cat tree, but they scratch my furniture and I can't complain since I never taught them otherwise or gave them a scratch post.

You have 3 cats and you dont have a scratching post?? :ohmy:
That's like the first thing I bought. Its so mandatory in a cats life.

A couple more pics of LBC (still haven't figured out a better name for him :reject: ).

LBCpicsdec92007002.jpg

LBCpicsdec92007008.jpg

Overall he's doing great. He wanted out really bad yesterday -- yowled and cried at the doors and windows for a few hours. But eventually he got over it and he's better today. I'm sure he'd go if he got a chance, but I'm making sure he doesn't get the chance. He found the bed and loves to sleep on the pillows. Comfort loving little devil. :)

Sicy said:

You have 3 cats and you dont have a scratching post?? :ohmy:
That's like the first thing I bought. Its so mandatory in a cats life.

My house mate had a few scratching things, but none of the cats ever used them. They scratch a few areas on the furniture and some random things that must feel good to them (like a box fan, lol). Beckham and Marijke were front declawed before I got them, so that helps. Posh really only cares to scratch the arm of the couch which is fine with me. I keep her nails dull so it doesn't really matter, she doesn't destroy anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom