For Cat Lovers Only III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
he, and the dogs, carry all sorts of things in
on their coats...
i have to check them all the time

it is odd though, harold is best buddies
with the squirrel i feed everyday
they snuggle up on the porch in harold's
rocking car and nap...
he just cannot help himself when it comes
to birds and rats
he ignores racs completely, which is very very
good

Molly Bloom said:
he, and the dogs, carry all sorts of things in
on their coats...
i have to check them all the time

it is odd though, harold is best buddies
with the squirrel i feed everyday
they snuggle up on the porch in harold's
rocking car and nap...
he just cannot help himself when it comes
to birds and rats
he ignores racs completely, which is very very
good

It's funny... Patches and Snowflake, my 'adopted' strays who were born outside and grew up outside, do not bring me birds or mice, instead they bring me rubber bands, ponytail holders and milk jug rings :laugh: I have no idea where they get them.

He's home and looking so much better. He's going on a special diet. First it'll be wet special UTD food for fourteen days.. then back to the vet to check and make sure there aren't anymore crystals. Then if there aren't, he'll be put on dry food of that kind.

He's also got two kinds of pills to take. Anyone have some simple fuss-free ways of giving a cat a pill?

Sicy said:

It's funny... Patches and Snowflake, my 'adopted' strays who were born outside and grew up outside, do not bring me birds or mice, instead they bring me rubber bands, ponytail holders and milk jug rings :laugh: I have no idea where they get them.

i wonder why ... that is so cute...
i wonder if it is the plastic smell?? or the way they ring and bounce??
harold loves to play with the round seal that comes off of the odwalla container

RavenBlue said:
He's home and looking so much better. He's going on a special diet. First it'll be wet special UTD food for fourteen days.. then back to the vet to check and make sure there aren't anymore crystals. Then if there aren't, he'll be put on dry food of that kind.

He's also got two kinds of pills to take. Anyone have some simple fuss-free ways of giving a cat a pill?

Zoey had crystals and a UTI a couple years ago.. she now has to be on special diet Science Diet c/d.. she'll probably be on it forever. I had luck getting rid of her crystals initially with Science Diet s/d, but hers are struvite crystals. There are also oxylate crystals, not sure which kind your cat has.

As far as pilling... good luck :huh: :lol: I usually just surprise them from behind, have the pill in one hand, open their mouth with the other and pop the pill in fast (as far back into the throat as possible) close the mouth and rub the throat until they swallow. If that doesnt work you could wrap him up like a burrito in a towel and pill him that way. Problem is if they know you are trying to do something to them they will fight more.. that's why I say surprise them from behind when they are least suspecting. Or you could ask for a liquid form of the medication, sometimes I find squirting it into their mouth with a syringe is easier than pilling.

Molly Bloom said:

i wonder why ... that is so cute...
i wonder if it is the plastic smell?? or the way they ring and bounce??
harold loves to play with the round seal that comes off of the odwalla container

I think it's because they are lightweight and easy for the cat to carry on his/her jaw. Beckham's absolute favorite toys are milk rings. He has about 50 of them. He hides them somewhere, I'm not sure where, but when he wants one, he'll know where to get one. I think he likes them because they do kinda bounce and he can carry them around hooked on his lower jaw.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
He hides them somewhere, I'm not sure where, but when he wants one, he'll know where to get one.

Saki does this with his mice :lmao:

another lion shave

one of the neighbourhood love bugs got one...
he looks like a dr seuss kit kit

DSCN1692.jpg

We crushed the pills and put them in his food and he didn't notice. He looooves that wet food too. It's so wonderful to see him feeling so much better.

I will take some pictures for you folks soon :wink:

Wow you are lucky. Zoey hated the urinary wet food, I had to mix it with another urinary food (not as strong) to get her to finally eat it. AND there is no way my cats would eat their food with pills crushed in it. Consider yourself blessed :lol:

RavenBlue said:
We crushed the pills and put them in his food and he didn't notice. He looooves that wet food too. It's so wonderful to see him feeling so much better.

I will take some pictures for you folks soon :wink:

That's great that he'll eat them in his food :) :up:.

We haven't had to give Worf pills in a long time (all of the recent stuff has been liquid), but when she was a kitten and had worms :reject: , my father used to coat the pills with cream cheese :lol:. That's the only way she would take them.

:hmm: that does look odd.... but perhaps it is how the sun is hitting it. He does not have any bare patches, but does need to be brushed (hasn't since I've left for college...........). It may be a sort of fur clump. I didn't even notice it in the photo until now.

Sicy said:

Zoey had crystals and a UTI a couple years ago.. she now has to be on special diet Science Diet c/d.. she'll probably be on it forever. I had luck getting rid of her crystals initially with Science Diet s/d, but hers are struvite crystals. There are also oxylate crystals, not sure which kind your cat has.

Roscoe has to be on Science Diet c/d forever too. (which means my other cat Will eats it too.) Roscoe had to have his bladder expressed to remove the crystals. :yikes: This was at 2 am at the emergency vet. :( My poor little guy. He was on the s/d first too. He hasn't developed any crystals since. :)

Usually a cat that doesnt have this problem, shouldnt be eating the c/d because there is a chance their ph might go too low, producing oxylate crystals. Did the vet say that it was ok? I am constantly trying to keep Saki from eating Zoey's food :angry:

Zoey also hasnt had any crystals since :) She just had a great check up recently at the vets.

The vet said it was okay. Will had the same type of crystals not long after Roscoe had them but I took Will to the vet as soon as I noticed something was wrong. (he peed on the carpet in front of me. :angry: ) I had been feeding them iams before they both got sick. I had to try to keep Will from eating Roscoe's s/d though.

Will takes pills like a champ. I pick him up, open his mouth, put the pill in and he swallows it. Less than a minute all together. Roscoe was so bad I had to beg for a liquid alternative. I have to wrap him up like a burrito.

yeah, tell me about it. :angry: my bank account wasn't happy. I got my mom to help pay for the emergency vet bill. My vet said it's far more common for male cats to develop crystals than females.

Zoey had a bladder infection, that's the only reason I found out she had crystals. She was going in and out of the box and only peeing little drops, poor baby. Her ph was off the charts :huh: It took weeks of antibiotics and trying to get her to eat the s/d to get it back to normal. Ah.. crosses my fingers that Saki doesnt ever get them. :crack:

Sometimes. Symptoms to watch for are going in and out of the litterbox and not urinating a lot, missing the litterbox or urinating elsewhere in the house, and when it gets really bad, lethargy, not eating/drinking etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom