For Cat Lovers Only III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm Ready said:
if you guys don't mind I've got a question

how often do your cats bit/nip at you

no matter how affectionate my cat is being, she still bites me (today she started gnawing on my arm for no apparent reason):huh:

I think it depends on the cat. Posh never bites, except for little "love nibbles". It's not a bite, she just puts her mouth over my hand for a few seconds. Maximus has never ever bit anyone for any reason. Beckham bit me HARD once on the wrist during bathtime. I still have a scar. It's a perfect pattern of his top teeth! When he was a kitten, he would get nippy if we held him too long, but he hasn't bitten anyone in over a year. Eden use to nip, but that was before we knew what was wrong with her. She was probably moody from being sick.

I've heard that declawed cats are bitier, but in my experience I haven't noticed this. My friend's two cats bite more than any other cats I know and they have their claws. You can't even play with them or hold them ever b/c they will take chunks out of your hands. Eden and Beckham were front declawed before I got them, but neither really bit/bite.

I think it depends more on how the cat has been handled. Max is handled a LOT and since he never bites, we let kids play with him. He was passed around from place to place before us, so he's used to new people and strange people dragging him around. Beckham, on the other hand, only interacted with me and a few friends as a kitten, so he was more upset by change and a nippier kitten.

holcat.jpg

this cat kept visiting us while we was on vacation.

Sicy said:

:laugh: Zoey bites/nips even when she's being affectionate. Sometimes if they are 'overstimulated' with affection they will nip to tell you they've had enough, or they will nip if they are playing with you.

Yea, I've got the proof on my hands and arms :lol:

bonsai said:
What's your favourite cat breed?

I love tortoishell's and Tabbys but I also love Chinchilla's and Abyssians

My favorites are Abyssinians as well. I also like California Spangled, Ocicats, or any spotted cat. That's why I like Luna so much, because she's got the color of an aby but the wild spots.
abyssinian.jpg

ocicat.jpg

california.jpg

I also like Egyptian Maus and applehead Siamese
egyptian-mau.jpg

1403-1.jpg

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I think it depends on the cat. Posh never bites, except for little "love nibbles". It's not a bite, she just puts her mouth over my hand for a few seconds. Maximus has never ever bit anyone for any reason. Beckham bit me HARD once on the wrist during bathtime. I still have a scar. It's a perfect pattern of his top teeth! When he was a kitten, he would get nippy if we held him too long, but he hasn't bitten anyone in over a year. Eden use to nip, but that was before we knew what was wrong with her. She was probably moody from being sick.

I've heard that declawed cats are bitier, but in my experience I haven't noticed this. My friend's two cats bite more than any other cats I know and they have their claws. You can't even play with them or hold them ever b/c they will take chunks out of your hands. Eden and Beckham were front declawed before I got them, but neither really bit/bite.

I think it depends more on how the cat has been handled. Max is handled a LOT and since he never bites, we let kids play with him. He was passed around from place to place before us, so he's used to new people and strange people dragging him around. Beckham, on the other hand, only interacted with me and a few friends as a kitten, so he was more upset by change and a nippier kitten.

to try and respond to this

1. my cat was declawed (before I got her)
2. its my only cat, so we do pet/play with her a lot
3. she only seems to bite in phases, like she'll go a couple months where she's really good, then she'll nip at me a couple times in a week:huh:

Applehead Siamese- aren't they meant to be less extreme looking than the "pure" pedigree siamese with the trianglar head? Many people tend to go for siamese with the rounder face but cat shows in some countries only recognise a siamese with trianglar head as being of prefered type.

Somali's are nice, they're semi longhaired version of aby's.

Declawing is illegal in the UK. This is because many people consider the practice cruel. It is a painfull operation and can leave some cats unable to grip, climb or walk properly, as cats tend to walk on the tips of thier claws.

I wish it was illegal in the U.S. too.
I hate talking about it because it just makes me sick/angry/upset. :mad:

My parents declawed their cats but after seeing how their feet were butchered I didn't declaw mine. I trim their claws once a week. I'm shocked at how good they are when i do it.

My cat Will nips me when he wants something. ie. food, attention, treats. He can even get my legs when i'm walking around. :lol: I don't know how he does it. When I sleep in on weekends he likes to wake me up. :angry:

He doesn't really bite, I think he just uses his front teeth. :cute:

I had my cat declawed using this laser thing.
It causes little to no pain, she was running all over the place in less than 2 days, and you can't tell that she's even declawed.

I'm not sure if it's available everywhere, but in Las Vegas there's a few vets who do it. Most of my friends have had their cats declawed with the laser tecnique and all their cats have been bounding around like crazy people after a couple days with no pain. :shrug:

Last edited:
Harold :cute:

I decided not to have Jack Flash declawed when I got him. He's very good about using his scratching post, and I take him to the vet to get his nails trimmed usually every 4 to 6 weeks. He wiggles and howls when I try to do it, but he's naturally an angel for the nurses at the vet's office and gets all four paws done in two minutes.

One of his biggest ways of showing affection is to knead on me with his front paws, so I always know when his claws need to be trimmed!

Not if the technique causes no pain or mutilation and the cat doesn't need their claws to live, much like most indoor cats. :|

a lot of cats have arthritic problems when they are declawed as they cannot scratch and stretch out their paws
i dont understand why cats are declawed in the first place..

I've had cats given to me that were declawed without laser and their paws were completely mutilated, but my cat Persian needed no bandages, started being herself after the grogginess from the knock-out-drug wore off, cleaned herself all that day with her front paws, showed no signs of pain at all, and you cant tell she's declawed.

It's a reletivly new technology and more people should give it a chance.
Sorry about this extra post on the subject. I'm a jackass and I know it. :]

Glad you agree Sicy :)

It's natural for cats to be able to use their claws&that's all there is to it :|

Bug said:
I've had cats given to me that were declawed without laser and their paws were completely mutilated, but my cat Persian needed no bandages, started being herself after the grogginess from the knock-out-drug wore off, cleaned herself all that day with her front paws, showed no signs of pain at all, and you cant tell she's declawed.

why did you have it done ?
nevermind...

soz to all the people who want to drop the topic :D

Well i certainly don't want to talk about cruelty to cats so i'm happy for the subject to change now!

All these cats are so cute! I wish I was able to show you some of Jez, he's an adorable ginger cat with big copper eyes and a little pink nose :cute:

Bug said:

I looked into this new technology a while back, not because I'm declawing any cats, but I was interested in it. I don't want to open up the "animal cruelty" can of worms, so I'm not commenting on that aspect, but I wonder how this type of surgery is worth it? I mean, it's SUPER expensive (at least it was when I was reading about it). Why not just buy some Soft Paws for the cat, or spend $50 on a decent sisal scratch post? I guess from and economic point of view, I'm interested to know what the point of this procedure is and why someone would chose this procedure.

I've got two cats with all claws and the only thing in the house they routinely scratch is the couch. And they scratch it b/c it was free, it's ugly, I'm too cheap for a scratching post, so I let them use the couch. When I get a couch I care about, I'll make them a sisal post. Honestly I don't get why claws are such a big deal. My cats have never scratched me aggressively, and they only scratch/bite each other for play. Beckham has no front claws (came that way) and as a kitten I worried more about damage than with my clawed cats b/c he chewed carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom