For Cat Lovers Only III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmm...chips and dip...

346%3B6%3B%3B%3A6%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2326%3D935%3D%3B96%3DXROQDF%3E232355853%3A545ot1lsi

Mmm...pizza...

346%3B6%3B%3B%3A6%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2326%3D935%3D%3B96%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B975%3A675ot1lsi

Mmm...cake...

346%3B6%3B%3B%3A6%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2326%3D935%3D%3B96%3DXROQDF%3E232355853%3A93%3Aot1lsi

Not living with cats is still so weird. :( I love going back to Dad's...not just to visit him, but to spend time with my kitties (and other pets). :cute:

If my mom does come back home, she'll be bringing her two cats with her. Cat Brandy Bunch! :ohmy: :lol:

Bonochick said:
Not living with cats is still so weird. :( I love going back to Dad's...not just to visit him, but to spend time with my kitties (and other pets). :cute:

If my mom does come back home, she'll be bringing her two cats with her. Cat Brandy Bunch! :ohmy: :lol:

One of the things I'm looking forward to when I go home to visit soon is seeing Princess, my mom's adorable cat :cute:

I so typed Brandy instead of Brady. I'm either thinking of my friend, or I'm an alcoholic. :lol: :reject:

Tara, aren't you allergic to cats?

So many cute kitties :cute: :love:

Cassidy loves boxes too. If you bring a new box in the house, he'll be there first to jump in and examine it. Every kind of box.. especially ones that he can't quite fit into.

He's a big fan of Christmas because that is the time of year when there are boxes galore :giggle:

Last edited:
Bonochick said:
I so typed Brandy instead of Brady. I'm either thinking of my friend, or I'm an alcoholic. :lol: :reject:

Tara, aren't you allergic to cats?
Well, yes and no. I had cats my whole life and never had an allergic reaction. But when I moved in with Tim's cat I had a reaction to her. My throat would hurt and I would get sinus headaches. The only reason I can come up with is that she had strange dander. People who are really allergic to cats had awful...awful reactions to her. Crying eyes, puffy faces, snot.
I am allergic to dogs though.

Question: How do you teach kittens not to bite peoples' hands and feet? It is OK to let them do it? It doesn't hurt when Loki attacks, but I have a friend who always let her kitten play with her hand and now no one can ever hold him or pet him because he bites for no reason. Loki kept me awake until 3am because he was attacking me, he even looked me in the eye and took a hard swipe at my face! Nasty little shit he is :D I don't mind the playfulness or the nighttime attacks, but I don't want him to think hands = toys.

I always just said a firm NO and wiggled my foot enough to scare my kittens away when they did that. Eventually they wouldn't do it unless provoked, like when I would stick my toes into their belly fur or something.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Question: How do you teach kittens not to bite peoples' hands and feet? It is OK to let them do it? It doesn't hurt when Loki attacks, but I have a friend who always let her kitten play with her hand and now no one can ever hold him or pet him because he bites for no reason. Loki kept me awake until 3am because he was attacking me, he even looked me in the eye and took a hard swipe at my face! Nasty little shit he is :D I don't mind the playfulness or the nighttime attacks, but I don't want him to think hands = toys.

My cat always plays rough with me, biting my hand and such, but somehow she knows not to do it to anyone else. She doesn't do
it to my parents, and she's afraid of strangers anyway.

It's pretty amusing for her to wrap her front paws around my arm and bite my hand and body slam it :lol:

Thank goodness she doesn't do that to anyone else though.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Re: the hand and foot biting--your thinking is exactly correct!!! Do everything you can to stop this behavior now while he is still little. If he grows up thinking that biting and scrathing hands/feet is acceptable behavior he won't be much fun as an adult.

You can distract him with a "prey" toy like those ones which have a feather on a string at the end of a stick (kind of like a fishing pole) or catnip filled toys or whatever. Redirecting his attention elsewhere is definitely the best strategy. If he won't quit, give him a "timeout" in the bathroom or something so he gets the message that what he's doing isn't OK.

In terms of the nighttime stuff, he may just be adjusting to the whole "humans sleep at night" thing. Where I volunteer, because the cats are not caged and there isn't anyone there with them at night, they totally revert to thier natural state--nocturnal. We leave the place pristine at 8PM and at 8AM the next day it looks like a bomb hit it because they have been whooping it up all night. We usually tell our adopters to expect nighttime shenanigans for a week or 10 days until the kitties adjust to living with people who want to sleep at night.

Catlady said:

Re: the hand and foot biting--your thinking is exactly correct!!! Do everything you can to stop this behavior now while he is still little. If he grows up thinking that biting and scrathing hands/feet is acceptable behavior he won't be much fun as an adult.

You can distract him with a "prey" toy like those ones which have a feather on a string at the end of a stick (kind of like a fishing pole) or catnip filled toys or whatever. Redirecting his attention elsewhere is definitely the best strategy. If he won't quit, give him a "timeout" in the bathroom or something so he gets the message that what he's doing isn't OK.

In terms of the nighttime stuff, he may just be adjusting to the whole "humans sleep at night" thing. Where I volunteer, because the cats are not caged and there isn't anyone there with them at night, they totally revert to thier natural state--nocturnal. We leave the place pristine at 8PM and at 8AM the next day it looks like a bomb hit it because they have been whooping it up all night. We usually tell our adopters to expect nighttime shenanigans for a week or 10 days until the kitties adjust to living with people who want to sleep at night.

Thanks! I'm away now so Melissa will have to deal with him, haha! She was gone for a week so I "babysat" the kitten. He actually does sleep all night - once he actually goes to sleep. The last two nights before I left he was keeping me away, climbing my hair, swatting m face, and biting anything that moved, until 3am. Then he hides under the covers and stays there until morning. Hopefully he's just adjusting like you said. He was in a big cage with 4 other kittens, so I'm sure they just played all day and all night with no regard for people sleeping and not wanting to be attacked anytime a finger moves (he does this all day, not just at night). We just don't want a "nippy" cat if there's something we can easily do now to train him that toys are for playing.

last night harold was acting like a kitten, and he is 12
he was nibbling on my toes, jumping on the pattern i was cutting out and jumping at the hanging plants... it made me happy so i thought i would share as you all will understand how that could make me so darn excited :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom