For Cat Lovers Only II - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2006, 12:06 AM   #16
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:15 PM
It's unusual for a young cat to have a true bladder infection, if her urine is well-concentrated then that is an inhospitable environment for bacteria to grow in. Not entirely impossible, but rare.

Lord only knows why she ended up at the shelter in the first place, someone else may hvae been dealing with your same problem and that's why they gave her up. People are rarely honest about the reasons they surrender a cat because most people know that if they have littrbox issues, they will be euthanized and not put up for adoption. There really is no way the shelter would know - but ultimately cats that have had the opportunity to be outdoors and then attempt to be made house cats are more prone to problems. She could have intermittent discomfort, hard to know since you can't ask her (the frustrating story of my life!). Elavil is in the behavior medicine category, but it also has pain relieving properties for the bladder. I don't think it is an unreasonable thing to consider trying, though I do think being caged for 2 months is a bit excessive. It can help to confine them for the first 2 weeks they are on the medication, it could mean just being in one room like a bathroom, doesn't necessarily have to be a small cage.

Ultimately it may be easier on you all (and her) to see if you can find somewhere that she can spend more time outside, not near a busy road like you are. Sorry to be put in a sucky position

Old 03-01-2006, 12:18 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

I felt bad for her so I let her out of the cage. It's acutally pretty big. It's like the size of an extra-large sized dog crate/kennel. On the bottom there's a roomy section and then a cat bed and a litter box. Then there's a second level that has soft foam. We built it ourselves. The problem is, there's no room for her to play and run.

It's like this one, but bigger
http://www.futurepets.com/catcages/MW133.jpg

We have a "cat room" in the basement, so I moved her in there (and haha, I saw her use the litter box there immediately) because it's mostly cement and the only carpet there belongs to me anyway.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:01 AM   #18
New Yorker

Location: Hangin' out by the state line turning holy water into wine
Local Time: 02:15 PM
My little Scamp:

My lovely Chia Pet:

Kinda looks like a mug shot here:

Chia was adopted from the Humane Society. She too, has a peeing out of the litter box problem, which was from a UTI initially. Now (we've had her for about 5 years now) I'm convinced that when Scamp stresses her out she pees on the bathroom rug. So we spike their water with Rescue Remedy (natural herbal downer), Scamp doesn't attack Chia, and our bathroom rug is secure. Also I figured out that she needs a very tidy litter box, so I splurged and got an automated one. Now I'm just trying to figure out why she's digging a hole to China whenever she uses the litter box. Seems like she stays in there digging for a good 5-10 minutes after she's done her business.

I do hope all turns out well for Eden.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:02 AM   #19
New Yorker

Location: Hangin' out by the state line turning holy water into wine
Our annual Christmas humiliation photos:

I love kitty posts!!! All of these photos are so wonderful! We need a cat smilie.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:12 AM   #20
Refugee

Location: Looking for a sound that's gonna drown out the world
Local Time: 05:15 PM
Here is Sasha sitting on top of the front door...she climbs door frames too!

This is Sasha climbing the curtains...
Old 03-01-2006, 02:00 AM   #21
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:15 PM
^
Old 03-01-2006, 02:33 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Sasha the wonder cat!

I all the kitties! We just have one right now. Her name is Missy or Miss Kitty. I would post a photo, except she hates me and hates my camera. The dogs will pose just fine, but she would rather maim me then sit still for a picture. She was a stray cat that came with our last house. She stuck around for a year without being fed. When we found out that she wasn't the neighbors we started feeding her. Eventually she stopped attacking my husband and the kids, but she still hates me. I want to adopt another cat. But we are moving soon so Mr. Cat said that we should wait till after we've moved. But they have a ton of adult cats at the shelter here and I'm dying to go rescue one. I miss having more sweet kitty faces around the house. And I just hate to think of some poor kitty being put down.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:24 AM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 07:15 AM
Here are some pics of our little kitties!

This is Cleo,she is 2. This cat was born in a storm drain, she had to come out and look for her own food when she was barely 4 weeks old,her mother perished.A friend took her in but he is terribly allergic to cats,so we adopted her.Cleo is a very feisty,strong cat!

And this is Ceasar, he is 3 months old! This guy is one cute kitty, he lets the kids pick him like a baby,he loves lots of cuddles.But....he is very naughty, he has litter issue!!!......he refuses to poo in the litter tray....HE THINKS MY BATHROOM TILES ARE A BETTER ALTERNATIVE! but.....nonetheless we are slowly but surely making progress!
Old 03-01-2006, 09:00 AM   #24
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I felt bad for her so I let her out of the cage. It's acutally pretty big. It's like the size of an extra-large sized dog crate/kennel. On the bottom there's a roomy section and then a cat bed and a litter box. Then there's a second level that has soft foam. We built it ourselves. The problem is, there's no room for her to play and run.

It's like this one, but bigger
http://www.futurepets.com/catcages/MW133.jpg

We have a "cat room" in the basement, so I moved her in there (and haha, I saw her use the litter box there immediately) because it's mostly cement and the only carpet there belongs to me anyway.
I think re-training her by keeping her confined (two months may be excessive but I think I mentioned in the other thread one week is definitely not long enough--and letting her out as you have been for supervised playtime is a good compromise) using the Cat Attract litter, and possibly medication are what you should try before making a decision to re-home her.

The medication does not have to be a bad thing. A fellow volunteer with the organization I am with has had problems for years in her house due to one of her kitties who has always sprayed. She recently put him and several of her others (she has 8) on a low dose of Prozac...which has worked beautifully. The dose is low enough that nobody's personality has changed, they don't act "doped", etc.

I've encountered a lot of these type of situations...most of the time they are solvable, you just have to find the right combination of strategies...
Old 03-01-2006, 09:04 AM   #25
War Child

Here is a pic of my Quincy leaping onto Tucker when they were both kittens. The quality is real bad b/c this was scanned from a hard copy photo...this was back in the day before digital cameras were de rigueur.

I love how Tucker has ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what is coming.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:11 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:15 PM
Quote:

My thoughts exactly. We did the crate thing already because it was only a week and it made sense (she proved she will go in the litter just fine without any discomfort), but two months? What is this vet thinking? How can she doubt this is a behavioral problem when SHE'S the one with a small shelter overrun with 200 cats doing what they want wherever they please. It's also obvious now that she had Eden crated at some point because the poor cat actually prefers the crate (she will stay in or go back in if the door is open).

We're still looking for a new home where she would be an outdoor/barn cat, but fed daily and no where near any streets.

Good god! That vet is horrible. Is there any way to report these people? I'm not sure if you said anything about that in the last thread. I find this disgusting. How can anybody treat their animals like that?
Old 03-01-2006, 11:00 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978

Good god! That vet is horrible. Is there any way to report these people? I'm not sure if you said anything about that in the last thread. I find this disgusting. How can anybody treat their animals like that?
I reported the shelter through silent observer.

We're keeping Eden out of the cage, in the cat room. She's taking the meds for now since I suppose we have nothing to lose by trying (although she's been REALLY groggy and walks really stiff). Maybe she will just have to stay in the cat rooms forever, since she doesn't pee on the floor and I've seen her use those litter boxes. At least two rooms are better than a cage.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:11 AM   #28
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
(although she's been REALLY groggy and walks really stiff).

This cant be normal, can you lower the dosage?
Old 03-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #29
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I think I've posted these before but I thought I'd share again.

These are 'Katwallks'. The cats just LOVE them, Saki especially because he's a great climber. Zoey fell off of them before so she doesnt go on them that much

Old 03-01-2006, 11:37 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy

This cant be normal, can you lower the dosage?
They're tiny pills, but I suppose we could break them in half.

Those catwalks look fun. Beckham loves that kind of stuff. He usually sleeps on top of the fridge, or on top of the heating pipes up in the ceiling. If I had a stud finder I could build something like that...