For Cat Lovers Only II - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2006, 08:06 PM   #196
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern
^So it sounds like it was Eden's own individual immune system's reaction the virus. Is that right?
Yes, exactly. The complications seen are basically due to an over-reaction to the virus.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:52 AM   #197
Blue Crack Addict

We spent the night bleaching everything and bought 100 pounds worth of cat litter! We just caught Beckham drinking out of a toilet, which he NEVER does, but I forgot to get a new water bowl after all the other bowls got bleached and went into the dishwasher. Oops! Then Melissa was chasing him around and she starts shrieking because she remembers we're not supposed to stress the cats, but I told her that Beckham's so used to her chasing him around he'd probably feel strange if she didn't.

Honestly, I think at this point we've done everything we could and I don't want to worry about it too much because there's nothing we could've done and nothing we can do now. The three other cats are very healthy and at their ideal weights, so I'll watch them closely for a few months, but hopefully their health and the fact that they rarely shared litter with Eden will increase their chances. Eden's been sick since we got here, which was at the beginning of January, so I suppose if the other cats caught the virus and will have complications, we'll know fairly soon. Beth, if nothing happens between now and graduation (May) is it safe to assume we're all clear?

R.I.P Eden

Oh, how I loved her spots!

OK, time to put this all behind us....

Old 03-17-2006, 01:08 AM   #198
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:27 AM
Oh Lord, I don't read this thread much, but I liked to keep up on Eden's health...I was so afraid I was going to read this....having a pet put down is one of the saddest moments ever...

for ya livluv
Old 03-17-2006, 01:31 AM   #199
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:27 AM

I will miss this cat too. It was the only cat in the house that would take a nap with me on the couch.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:23 AM   #200
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:27 AM

Old 03-17-2006, 08:39 AM   #201
War Child

and to everyone in your household.

The advice you are receiving is correct...you've done everything you can and chances are good your kitties will be fine.

PM me if you need any more info...unfortunately, I have some experience with FIP...
Old 03-17-2006, 08:41 AM   #202
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:27 PM
Oh no i only just read about your poor puss being put down&i'm so sorry such a lovely thing - i loved seeing your pix 'cos i'm a huge cat lover
Old 03-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #203
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 08:27 AM
You made her very happy for the past few months and gave her a better life than she ever had before .
Old 03-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #204
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Eden's been sick since we got here, which was at the beginning of January, so I suppose if the other cats caught the virus and will have complications, we'll know fairly soon. Beth, if nothing happens between now and graduation (May) is it safe to assume we're all clear?
Unfortunately there are no guarantees. It may be years and years or never. We have seen cats from isolated environments (no contact with other cats) that develop FIP at older ages. They have been harboring coronavirus for all that time and something changes the balance and they develop a mutation and clinical disease (FIP). Many, many cats carry coronavirus. Any cat that carries coronavirus can develop FIP - fortunately very few do.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #205
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave

Unfortunately there are no guarantees. It may be years and years or never. We have seen cats from isolated environments (no contact with other cats) that develop FIP at older ages. They have been harboring coronavirus for all that time and something changes the balance and they develop a mutation and clinical disease (FIP). Many, many cats carry coronavirus. Any cat that carries coronavirus can develop FIP - fortunately very few do.
So Melissa should never get another cat as long as she's living here and/or still has Maximus? She wants to get another one before I leave, b/c Maximus gets bored and then does naughty things, he needs a companion to play with, but she wants to wait long enough so that the house and the cats are quarantined.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:12 PM   #206
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
So Melissa should never get another cat as long as she's living here and/or still has Maximus? She wants to get another one before I leave, b/c Maximus gets bored and then does naughty things, he needs a companion to play with, but she wants to wait long enough so that the house and the cats are quarantined.

This is what I tell my clients:

Quote:
When Is It Safe To Get Another Cat After One Dies of FIP?

Since this is not a contagious disease, one can argue that one does not need to wait before getting another cat. If one wants to see that there is no remaining coronavirus around the house leftover from the deceased cat, a 3-month period has been advocated. If there are surviving cats, one can periodically check FIP titers and wait for them to become negative before adding another cat if one wishes to avoid further passing of coronavirus. The new cat can also be screened for an FIP titer. When one considers that only 5% of cats in multi-cat homes get FIP even though in some studies the incidence of exposure to coronavirus is as high as 80%, this wait may not be necessary.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...&S=0&C=0&A=681
Old 03-18-2006, 12:38 AM   #207
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Basement..
Local Time: 06:27 AM
they suck, yes i know

he doesn't like to have his pic taken...his name is Marley and he is about 8 or 9 years old!!
heres one more!!
Old 03-18-2006, 02:03 AM   #208
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:27 AM
Ooooooooo pretty!! Is he a Himalayan?
Old 03-18-2006, 11:48 AM   #209
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Basement..
Local Time: 06:27 AM
yes, he is Himalayan!!!
Old 03-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #210
Blue Crack Addict

love_u2_adam, you have the COOLEST pets!!! Himalayan cat, Tervuren dog

Thanks guys for all the info and support with the FIP thing. What a terrible thing for Eden. I was putting the dishes away today and her bowl was there, with her name embossed on it....how sad for her. I wish I'd known about that virus, it almost makes me regret getting cats, always having that chance that they'll have to die like that.

Melissa still has to meet with Crazy Vet Lady to pick up Eden's stuff. She wants to ask for a refund of the adoption fee since Crazy Vet Lady told her the cat was infected before coming to her shelter (don't know whether I believe that or not) and now we've got three more cats in danger which made it costly to replace all of their cat stuff, plus the hundreds Melissa spent on Eden for the other complications. It's not even about the money anymore, but Crazy Vet Lady needs to realize what she's doing is unfair to animals and people.

I guess I just don't understand the point this Crazy Vet Lady is trying to make, running a no-kill shelter that's severly overcrowded and infested with infections. She was the one that had to put Eden to sleep. We're worried about our three cats, but she's got 200 there that have now been exposed and are already unhealthy.

OK that's my last rant about it. I have three surviving babies to devote my time to....and they're probably well past due for a claw trimming!

Piccie fest:

The last picture I took of Eden, this past Wed. It was the first time in weeks she got up and went to be with the other cats

Beckham thinking about whether or not he wants to go outside (he's allowed to go out on his harness for 1/2 hr if I have things to do outside)

Maximus, ALWAYS wanting to go outside

Maximus will cry like a baby and beg with the cute face until he gets to go out for a few minutes

It's hard to resist the cute face

Beckham tries the cute face

Some kitty action on my bed last night

My precious baby boy!