For Cat Lovers Only...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zoey was helping me wrap presents :giggle:

zoeyxmas0205.jpg

A few more shots of Eden....this cat is so much fun to photograph. I can't get over how cool her spots are. She's doing a lot better - her eyes are almost clear and she's not wheezing or coughing as much. It's only been two days and already we can leave her out with the other cats unattended.

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo10.jpg

photo11.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo13.jpg

Tons of cute cat ^^ I'm happy everytime I take a look at this thread ahah.

This is Pandore, my cat :) I have 3... Pandore the little female, Winnie and Figaro, old males, but this one is mine (the 2 others are the family's)

Pandore5.jpg

When you have a large feral colony its good that way you dont end up trapping the same cat again to get fixed. You can just look at their ear to know they are fixed then let them go, rather than put them through the trauma again of trapping then taking them in to the Humane Society to get fixed, then having to find out they've already been fixed.

Sicy said:
When you have a large feral colony its good that way you dont end up trapping the same cat again to get fixed. You can just look at their ear to know they are fixed then let them go, rather than put them through the trauma again of trapping then taking them in to the Humane Society to get fixed, then having to find out they've already been fixed.

once I trapped a feral and had him fixed and everything and they gave him an eartip, but not much of one. A year later I ended up trapping him again and bringing him in to my clinic without realizing he was one I had already caught b/c the eartip was so subtle...the clinic didn't realize either; they anestitized him and everything and then figured out that he was one who'd already been fixed. I felt so bad for putting him through all that stress...:reject:

Ohhh that is too bad! That's exactly why they clip their ear.. poor baby :hug:

But it was a boy? Couldnt they just take a look back there and see.. :giggle:

This is my Roxy :D

cat1.jpg

And then she decided my butt looked like a comfy place to sit...

cat2.jpg

cat4.jpg

And if anyone's wondering, that big grey blob on her collar is the magnet for her cat flap :)

Ok cat experts....*deep breath*

A few of you will remember my roomate who had a cat before and really didn't take that good a care of it. Well...long story short, that cat supposedly ran away the day after I left my trip to Ireland. My roomate went and got another cat. This cat is 4 months old and was at the shelter after being sent there from Lousiana due to the hurricane. Supposedly was quite the youngin at the time. Well, this cat just seems to want nothing to do with people. If you pick him up he'll kinda splay out and then try and burrow his head under your arm. He'll eventually purr but he just generally seems like he'd rather just hide out. I've been home all day and he is MIA, I've gone and looked for him several times just to make sure he's still here & when I find him he doesn't really come to me or anything. I don't know what to do, because I feel bad for him. Is this something that will take time? Is it because he's unsure of his new surroundings or is he just traumatized beyond anything? Oh yea, my roomate (who got him yesterday)wanted to know if I minded watching him for a few days while she leaves to go out of town for Christmas...*rolleyes*

Here's a pic of the poor guy
GumboK05-144103.jpg

starsgoblue,

Wow. How long have you guys had the new baby? When an animal has been under intense traumatic strain like he has, things really do take time. My baby Jarvis was lost on a pound truck for a couple days after returning from a check-up and it messed him up for a couple years. :crack:

The best I can advise since his behaviors sound like my Jarvie is to just steadily work with him and never say "to hell with it, this cat is crazy." He needs time to feel secure again. :)

stars that really breaks my heart. Your roommate does not sound like anyone that should own a cat :( It does take time especially given what the kitty has been through. Can you try to play with him? If he wont get near you you could get a feather on a stick or a laser light, I have found almost all cats like these toys. Just make sure he's eating and drinking. That is really important. It just takes patience with some cats. :hug:

bg, those magnetic things are pretty neat for indoor/outdoor cats. The magnetic thing on the collar will open the flap. Otherwise it wont open. That keeps out raccoons and other animals that you dont want using the flap.

Sicy said:
bg, those magnetic things are pretty neat for indoor/outdoor cats. The magnetic thing on the collar will open the flap. Otherwise it wont open. That keeps out raccoons and other animals that you dont want using the flap.

aaaah, i see. that's pretty cool.

as far as the traumatized cats, it can take a very long time for them to get comfortable with people. when my daughter decided her gramma should get a cat, she put up a flyer in our local market because the only way my mom would go along with getting a cat (she wasn't thrilled about the idea) was if the cat was older, spayed, and de-clawed. (we don't believe in de-clawing, obviously, but my mom thought there was no way any cat would meet that criteria so she had her put that in the ad). well, if you can believe it, my daughter's ad was answered, and within days my mom had a cat.

this cat was so scared of anything that moved that my mom would have to tip-toe around her own house. this cat would take fifteen minutes just approaching her food dish, and forget about playing. we were lucky she ever came out from under the bed, for like, months. we have no idea what the previous owners put this cat through, but it couldn't have been good. you could start with the de-clawing, i suppose...

my mom has had this cat for over a year and now (finally) she comes out to see us when we visit, and drags her teaser out to play. she sits in the window (but only when my mom isn't home for some reason) and meows like crazy. the owners asked my mom to keep the name they gave her, which was allivay (the spelling of which we have no idea) we just call her vay-vay now. she's still a little strange, but we love her just the way she is.

just be patient and love them. it takes a long time, but they will grow to trust and love you.

here's a picture of vay-vay from yesterday.

34587898%3B%7Ffp338%3Enu%3D3237%3E%3A83%3E3%3C8%3EWSNRCG%3D32333%3A%3C75%3A59%3Anu0mrj

Thanks for the advice guys. I have been trying to make it a point in the past few days to try and coax him to play and if not at least to pet him and have him in my lap for bout 20 minutes or so. I hope he comes around and I hope my roomate tries to do the same, I'm afraid she'll just get 'bored' with the cat since that cat isn't entertaing enough or something. :(

Wow, I'm usually a dog person, but now I think I want a cat too! :cute:

And starsgoblue, that cat is adorable. I hope he gets used to his new surroundings!

Sicy said:
Ohhh that is too bad! That's exactly why they clip their ear.. poor baby :hug:

But it was a boy? Couldnt they just take a look back there and see.. :giggle:

:) I have a fellow rescue colleague who is an expert at reaching back and squeezing to see what's up! Unfortunately the clinic I go to is a high volume one, they do like 100 surgeries a day and it's assembly line, especially with ferals, so nobody checked. :( He was OK though once I re-released him.

starsgoblue said:
Ok cat experts....*deep breath*

A few of you will remember my roomate who had a cat before and really didn't take that good a care of it. Well...long story short, that cat supposedly ran away the day after I left my trip to Ireland. My roomate went and got another cat. This cat is 4 months old and was at the shelter after being sent there from Lousiana due to the hurricane. Supposedly was quite the youngin at the time. Well, this cat just seems to want nothing to do with people. If you pick him up he'll kinda splay out and then try and burrow his head under your arm. He'll eventually purr but he just generally seems like he'd rather just hide out. I've been home all day and he is MIA, I've gone and looked for him several times just to make sure he's still here & when I find him he doesn't really come to me or anything. I don't know what to do, because I feel bad for him. Is this something that will take time? Is it because he's unsure of his new surroundings or is he just traumatized beyond anything? Oh yea, my roomate (who got him yesterday)wanted to know if I minded watching him for a few days while she leaves to go out of town for Christmas...*rolleyes*

Here's a pic of the poor guy
GumboK05-144103.jpg

Hey there--speaking as someone who places animals for adoption...where I volunteer we take a lot of care to try to screen people properly but sometimes they just talk a good game.

The shelter your roommate got the kitty from might want to know that she's not that into being a guardian. Especially since they went to all that trouble to rescue him from NOLA. He deserves to be with someone who will take the responsibility seriously.

If I had placed him, I would want to know, that's for sure. ....just my two cents, realize you may not want to open a can of worms here, but for what it's worth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom