For Cat Lovers Only...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Declawing is heinous. Indra is exactly correct, it's an aputation of the toes.

LivLuv, that Crash's Landing place sounds so f-ed up. I can't believe they declaw all the cats before they leave...aside from the expense and the horrific pain it inflicts on the cats, one of the most common unintended consequences of declawing is that they sometimes develop litterbox issues! Which may be why Eden is having a problem.

Your confinement strategy is exactly correct...but it may take longer than a week to retrain her. The behaviorist my organization works with reccommends at least several weeks. PM me if you want his contact info.

IMHO, life as an outdoor/barn cat without one of her most important natural defenses (claws) would be dangerous and very likely short. I know it's not your decision b/c she belongs to your roommate...but just my two cents.

Last edited:
Catlady said:
Declawing is heinous. Indra is exactly correct, it's an aputation of the toes.

LivLuv, that Crash's Landing place sounds so f-ed up. I can't believe they declaw all the cats before they leave...aside from the expense and the horrific pain it inflicts on the cats, one of the most common unintended consequences of declawing is that they sometimes develop litterbox issues! Which may be why Eden is having a problem.

Your confinement strategy is exactly correct...but it may take longer than a week to retrain her. The behaviorist my organization works with reccommends at least several weeks. PM me if you want his contact info.

IMHO, life as an outdoor/barn cat without one of her most important natural defenses (claws) would be dangerous and very likely short. I know it's not your decision b/c she belongs to your roommate...but just my two cents.

She seems to actually enjoy the cage, or at least doesn't care. We take her out to hold her or sometimes put another cat in the cage to keep her company, but overall she doesn't seem to care. I think she was usually caged at Crash's. So yeah she's using the litter pan while IN the cage (no accidents yet), but we'll see what happens when she gets let out. We also give her a treat when we see her use the litter box. Is there a certain litter that declawed cats prefer?

A couple of my cats:

IMG_0177.jpg

Rickenbacker Straticaticus

IMG_0180.jpg

Oscar

and a nice cat story. :)

Black Cat Credited With Saving Owner

McKENZIE, N.D. - Bernice McDowall says she never thought black cats were unlucky. Now her own black cat, Joey, is her hero. McDowall, 87, said she was taking a nap when Joey woke her up early Friday afternoon and probably saved her life.

"He was having a fit, running around the bedroom," she said.

Then she saw smoke in the bedroom, got up and saw smoke coming from the basement.

She and Joey got out safely.

Joey had found a home with the McDowalls after he was dumped off at a nearby mailbox awhile back. On Friday, he "really came in and sent the alarm," Bernice said.

Later, the black cat was rolling and romping in the yard near smoldering mattresses that firefighters had dragged up from the basement while his owner stayed in the warmth of a vehicle.

Sterling Fire Chief Dwayne Frederick said firefighters contained the blaze to the basement, but there was smoke damage throughout the ranch-style home. He said the cause likely was electrical.

The McDowalls were not able to be in the house Friday night, but Cheryl McDowall, Bernice's daughter, told firefighters they had a place to stay.

Bernice McDowall had dinner at her niece's home. Joey was there too, walking on the piano keys. And he was scheduled to get his favorite dinner, a gravy-style canned cat food.

He would get lots of cuddling, too, Bernice McDowall said.

"He's a real good friend," she said.

Ugh, dont get me started on declawing. It's cruel, inhumane and actually banned in some countries because its such a horrible procedure. I'd like to chop off the fingers of the owners that do this to their cats and see how they like it :angry:

Indra, Rickenbacker looks like a statue guarding your house :lol:

And Oscar looks like he has something to say about who is supposed to be the guarder :D

Sicy said:
Indra, Rickenbacker looks like a statue guarding your house :lol:

And Oscar looks like he has something to say about who is supposed to be the guarder :D

Yeah, Straticat is quite the pompous guy sometimes. But he loves to drape himself over people's shoulders, and he doesn't care who's. He'll jump from anywhere if he thinks he can get on your shoulders. It can be quite disconcerting. Luckily he doesn't often use his claws when he jumps. :)

Oscar wasn't happy when I took that photo. I put him up there to get a decent shot, but he was determined to get down. Do you notice that his claws are out? He does that when he's planning on giving someone a smackdown. He'll sometimes walk across the floor with his claws out, clicking along. When the other cats hear that they take off.

indra said:

Yeah, Straticat is quite the pompous guy sometimes. But he loves to drape himself over people's shoulders, and he doesn't care who's. He'll jump from anywhere if he thinks he can get on your shoulders. It can be quite disconcerting. Luckily he doesn't often use his claws when he jumps. :)

Oscar wasn't happy when I took that photo. I put him up there to get a decent shot, but he was determined to get down. Do you notice that his claws are out? He does that when he's planning on giving someone a smackdown. He'll sometimes walk across the floor with his claws out, clicking along. When the other cats hear that they take off.

Chloe loves to jump on my back or my shoulders and just hang out there. I usually have scratches because she tries to balance herself onto me. :lol: She's so funny sometimes. :)

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

She seems to actually enjoy the cage, or at least doesn't care. We take her out to hold her or sometimes put another cat in the cage to keep her company, but overall she doesn't seem to care. I think she was usually caged at Crash's. So yeah she's using the litter pan while IN the cage (no accidents yet), but we'll see what happens when she gets let out. We also give her a treat when we see her use the litter box. Is there a certain litter that declawed cats prefer?

You should try "Cat Attract". It's like regular clay litter but it has some kind of herb in it that they like. It's not formulated for declaws, per se, but for cats who have had behavioral issues with peeing and pooping outside of the box. Link below. Several people I know who have had "issues" swear by it...

http://www.preciouscat.com/

HelloAngel said:

Oh god. I :heart: cat fights. I'm loathe to break them up b/t my boys b/c it's just so beautiful. Like furry ballet.

What amazes me about Sicy's cats and their fights is that neither one has claws out. When my cats get into cat spats the fur really flies! Maybe I just have a bunch of cranky cats. :hmm:

indra said:
What amazes me about Sicy's cats and their fights is that neither one has claws out. When my cats get into cat spats the fur really flies! Maybe I just have a bunch of cranky cats. :hmm:

I trained them well :wink:

j/k... I dont know why. Once in a while the claws do come out, I think by mistake, but its rare that I have to deal with any injuries as a result of their play wrestling. :heart:

So cute! Posh was a very ferocious kitten. When I got her, she was one fourth the size of Beckham, but the second I let her out of the carrying box, she knew she owned the place. One night, we were in Ellen's room and Beckham was sitting on the floor, minding his own business. Posh stalked to the edge of Ellen's bed, wiggled her butt, and then took a flying leap off of the bed onto Beckham's back! I've rarely seen him so startled. It was great, this tiny kitten attacking the big alpha cat.

Beckham's such a sissy, I love to scare him. Once he got stuck in my room and was doing his usual routine of yowling and pawing on the door. Phil got so annoyed, he threw a small pillow in the general direction of the cat. Beckham saw the pillow flying through the air and split. Except the door was shut and he was going so fast, he ran ALL THE WAY UP THE DOOR and then fell back to the ground with the most confused look on his face. I've never laughed so hard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom