For Cat Lovers Only... - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #466
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:38 PM

splick

Old 02-14-2006, 11:19 AM   #467
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:38 PM
That is terrible about the shelter. As much as I love the shelters and I've got 3 of my 5 from there, everytime I get them they are sick. Bucky and Bonzi had colds that they gave to Abigail and Tipsy when I brought them home. Oatmeal (the baby) had ear mits and gave them to all the cats.

I wish I can save all animals, I have such a soft spot for them. If it wasn't for my husband, I'd be the cat lady.

I now have 5 cats, 2 parakets, and 2 fish tanks. Oh, and of course the outside cats I feed.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:23 AM   #468
Refugee

Local Time: 11:38 PM
Sicy, can you give me a link to that cat forum you mentioned?
Old 02-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #469
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Sure!

It's a quiet board but lots of nice gals there and we loveeee to talk about our cats

http://kalebsmom.net/kittyhaven/inde...52fe5b01072080
Old 02-14-2006, 11:36 AM   #470
Refugee

Local Time: 11:38 PM
yay, thanks!

someone's sig: 9 cats and josh holloway!
Old 02-14-2006, 11:47 AM   #471
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Haha that's gaia.. she's a crazy cat lady
Old 02-15-2006, 03:42 PM   #472
War Child

Local Time: 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
For example, I just browsed through their current listing of 218 cats and one is 20 lbs (grossly overweight for his stature), was previously sheltered for over a year with no luck, and has FIV. Now I don't know much about FIV, but I thought it's incurable and can be transmitted to other cats.
Haven't been on here in a couple days so very late responding here...that's not the shelter I was thinking it was but it sounds very similar to one in NW Indiana where I got involved trying to help (to no avail) a long time ago. Let's just say I know the type.

A few words about FIV....being FIV+, IMO, is more a chronic condition than an actual disease. It can develop into full-blown Feline AIDS, but just being FIV+ doesn't mean the cat is sick. FIV can be transmitted to others but it takes a quite a bit of blood to blood contact. I know a lot of people who have FIV+ cats and non-FIV cats living together and none of the non-FIV cats have ever developed it. The greater concern is that the FIV+ cat is immune-compromised, so he or she is at a greater risk for catching upper resp or other things from other animals. In this case the FIV+ cat is less a risk to the others than they are to him or her, since so many of the cats in the general population there have upper resp and such. I really hope that cat is in an all FIV+ room or foster care.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:46 AM   #473
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Saki getting in my way while I'm trying to take my ebay pictures

Old 02-19-2006, 10:05 PM   #474
Blue Crack Addict

Catlady, thanks for the info on FIV. That cat is definitely not receiving special care. At Crash's Landing, they have their "house" divided into two sections: in one section, the cats are kept mostly cages because they are either semi-feral or new to the shelter and need some time to adjust. The other half is basically 150 cats roaming about.

Update on Eden: We took her back to the vet for a UTI follow-up. Her infection is gone so it does not explain her continually peeing in the bathroom and in Melissa's room (even after we tore up the carpet and put in new carpet). The vet seems convinced that since she was feral and has only ever lived in the wild, or basically in wild conditions at the shelter, she is not and has never been litter trained. He advised us to attempt to litter train her, otherwise take her back to the shelter since they obviously were wrong in selling us a cat that was supposedly healthy and litter trained. We do NOT want to take her back to ANY shelter. For starters, we built her a huge, bi-level cage with everything she needs. So far, she has used the litter box. The vet said to keep her in there for a week (we take her out to hold her) and then we will confine her to a single room where she is the only cat and see if she's learned. If not, we're looking to place her in a situation where it would be OK for her to poop and pee outside, but she would still be fed because Crash's stupidly front declaws everyone. We know someone with land and he has outdoor "barn" cats that he still provides food for so we're thinking she would OK in a situation like that since she is spayed and otherwise healthy and is used to living outside and with many other cats.

It's such a shitty situation for so many reasons. 1) I'm against outdoor cats and don't want to have to give her away as a barn cat but 2) we can't in good conscience return her to that awful shelter because 3) they lied about their cats being healthy and litter trained and 4) we really do love her and she's such a lovely lap cat. Unfortunately, the vet seemed convinced that this is behavioral and if the cage training doesn't work, he told us not to feel bad about having to bring her back or place her somewhere else where she will be happy, healthy, and not stressed about the litter box issues.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:20 AM   #475
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Saki getting in my way while I'm trying to take my ebay pictures

She is so beautiful! Sleek and elegant. Cute facial expressions!
Old 02-20-2006, 02:02 AM   #476
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Catlady, thanks for the info on FIV. That cat is definitely not receiving special care. At Crash's Landing, they have their "house" divided into two sections: in one section, the cats are kept mostly cages because they are either semi-feral or new to the shelter and need some time to adjust. The other half is basically 150 cats roaming about.

Update on Eden: We took her back to the vet for a UTI follow-up. Her infection is gone so it does not explain her continually peeing in the bathroom and in Melissa's room (even after we tore up the carpet and put in new carpet). The vet seems convinced that since she was feral and has only ever lived in the wild, or basically in wild conditions at the shelter, she is not and has never been litter trained. He advised us to attempt to litter train her, otherwise take her back to the shelter since they obviously were wrong in selling us a cat that was supposedly healthy and litter trained. We do NOT want to take her back to ANY shelter. For starters, we built her a huge, bi-level cage with everything she needs. So far, she has used the litter box. The vet said to keep her in there for a week (we take her out to hold her) and then we will confine her to a single room where she is the only cat and see if she's learned. If not, we're looking to place her in a situation where it would be OK for her to poop and pee outside, but she would still be fed because Crash's stupidly front declaws everyone. We know someone with land and he has outdoor "barn" cats that he still provides food for so we're thinking she would OK in a situation like that since she is spayed and otherwise healthy and is used to living outside and with many other cats.

It's such a shitty situation for so many reasons. 1) I'm against outdoor cats and don't want to have to give her away as a barn cat but 2) we can't in good conscience return her to that awful shelter because 3) they lied about their cats being healthy and litter trained and 4) we really do love her and she's such a lovely lap cat. Unfortunately, the vet seemed convinced that this is behavioral and if the cage training doesn't work, he told us not to feel bad about having to bring her back or place her somewhere else where she will be happy, healthy, and not stressed about the litter box issues.

It sounds as if you are doing everything you can for her.

You know, if she doesn't get better about using the litter box I wouldn't feel too bad about her living outside (in the situation you described). When I moved last September I had to leave two of my cats behind with the people who bought my house (they were my next door neighbors), because these two cats were terrified of being in the house, and here they can't go outside at all. They are fed and loved and happy there. I miss them, but it really is better for them.

You try to do what's best for them, but sometimes you have to have to let them live the way they are used to instead of the way you think is best.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:43 AM   #477
New Yorker

Rosie loves it when we pack.

Old 02-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #478
War Child

do you guys have your cats declawed?

I recently read that it is not good for the cats

my cat is declawed in the front (but she was before we owned her)
Old 02-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #479
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Ready

None of mine are.

De-clawing is essentially amputating a portion of the cat's toes.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:36 PM   #480
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Ready

Beckham was front declawed before I got him. Posh and Max were not and I have this one crappy couch they're allowed to scratch, so we don't really have problems with scratching other furniture. Eden was also front declawed by the shelter.

Depending on the procedure, it's usually very painful for the cats and isn't really necessary provided you clip the nails once a week or so and make sure the cat has something s/he is allowed to scratch. My cats with claws never intentionally scratch me or each other. Sometimes they scratch my armchair, which I don't like, but I just say NO and lift their claws off and they go on to do something else.