For Cat Lovers Only... - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2005, 10:30 AM   #226
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Yes I think she's lovely, even with her eye infection and snipped ear. She's pretty tiny too, but very affectionate. So much for being feral.

I hope she gets better soon.

I didn't even notice that she had the snipped ear!

Old 12-21-2005, 12:14 PM   #227
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:31 AM
Wow.. she does look like a bengal or ocicat mix. Very pretty.

Looks like they snipped quite a bit off her ear. It's ok she is still gorgeous.

My ferals have just the very tip snipped, you can see it in this pic, their right ears.

For Honor, the pet fountains are fabulous. Zoey loves hers. You can get them from petco or petsmart for about $40. I prefer the Petmate one.

Old 12-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #228
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
She's pretty tiny too, but very affectionate. So much for being feral.
Patches, the calico/tortie girl I just posted was 100% feral. I have been feeding these cats for almost 2 years and they would never even let me get near them for so long. With a lot of love, patience and understanding of cats you can socialize just about any feral. So it took me almost 2 years but Patches is so incredibly affectionate now you would never know she is feral. (Snowflake still wont let me touch her but I can sit on the patio near her). Every time I go outside she meows and meows and HAS to jump in my lap, rub all over me, make a nest on my lap with her paws, purrs at me.. she is the absolute sweetest thing on earth. It started out with her finally sniffing my hand, (after one year) to her eating a piece of food out of my hand, to her letting me touch her tail, and then her back, little by little.. finally she has completely opened up. I can hug her and kiss her, and even put advantage on her now. It is an amazing feeling to have her finally react this way to me after all this time. Feral cats can be some of the most loving cats once they realize how good it feels to be loved
Old 12-21-2005, 12:49 PM   #229
ONE
love, blood, life

I love cats so much!!!
Old 12-21-2005, 02:05 PM   #230
Refugee

Local Time: 09:31 AM
I celebrated Xmas with the 'rents a week early (they're going to be out of town for the actual holiday) and they gave me some money to adopt a new kitty from the Humane Society and some kitty accoutrements (food, toys). My mom wants to come with me to help adopt her new "furry grandchild."
Old 12-21-2005, 02:19 PM   #231
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
oh, I forgot to say her name is Eden. At least that was her shelter name and we'll probably keep it for lack of a better idea.
You should add a "u" so she's "Edun"

I love her spots too .

Glad to hear that Roy seems to be doing better
Old 12-21-2005, 02:58 PM   #232
War Child

Local Time: 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy

Patches, the calico/tortie girl I just posted was 100% feral. I have been feeding these cats for almost 2 years and they would never even let me get near them for so long. With a lot of love, patience and understanding of cats you can socialize just about any feral. So it took me almost 2 years but Patches is so incredibly affectionate now you would never know she is feral. (Snowflake still wont let me touch her but I can sit on the patio near her). Every time I go outside she meows and meows and HAS to jump in my lap, rub all over me, make a nest on my lap with her paws, purrs at me.. she is the absolute sweetest thing on earth. It started out with her finally sniffing my hand, (after one year) to her eating a piece of food out of my hand, to her letting me touch her tail, and then her back, little by little.. finally she has completely opened up. I can hug her and kiss her, and even put advantage on her now. It is an amazing feeling to have her finally react this way to me after all this time. Feral cats can be some of the most loving cats once they realize how good it feels to be loved
Thank you for helping the ferals!!! This makes me happy and sad--happy b/c these kitties have a wonderful home...and sad, because it reaffirms what I already know; that probably every feral could "come around" if only there were enough people willing to spend this much time working with them, you know?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:04 PM   #233
War Child

Re: yeah, another cat question....

Quote:
....so my housemate got another cat. We wanted to get an older, abandoned mother cat b/c they're the ones that never get adopted b/c everyone wants a cute kitten. So we went to this no-kill rescue called Crash's Landing where my cousin got her kitten from. We got a female tabby cat who used to be feral, had a litter of kittens and was picked up, and then turned out not to be that feral b/c she's snuggly and loves attention. Anyway, she has a "cold". They gave us this Terramycin eye cream for her eyes b/c they're runny, but she's sneezing and wheezy. They said she'd be fine in a few days and to just do the eye cream 2-3 times a day. We're wondering if she needs something more for her chest/nose b/c she wheezes when she breathes and keeps sneezing. Also, is a cat cold contageous for other cats?

She's a real sweetie and I'll post her pic later.
If it helps, here's the upper-resp protocol we use at the adoption program I am part of...I am sure Beth could give you her opinion also...

FELINE UPPER RESPIRATORY VIRUS PROTOCOL

There is no treatment for a virus. Therapy is focused on relieving symptoms.

Symptom/ Action Required

Sneezing, clear eye or nasal discharge, good appetite--No medication

Yellow or green eye discharge--Antibiotic eye ointment

Severe swelling or eye squinting--Needs vet evaluation.

Yellow or green nasal discharge--Oral antibiotics

Loss of Appetite but still active, no fever--Nasal decongestant, warm canned food (Warming increases the aroma)

Loss of Appetite, dehydrated (check skin response), fever--Fluids, antibiotics, Decongestants, syringe feeding, Bring animal into hospital.

Common Antibiotics for URI:

Kittens: Amoxycillin 10 mg/lb 2x daily or Clavamox 6.25 mg/lb 2x daily (do not break tablets in half). (**NEVER use Baytril in an animal less than 8 months old. It will stunt cartilage and growth).

Adult Cats: Clavamox 6.25 mg/lb 2x daily or Baytril 2.27 mg/lb 1x daily.

Antibiotics are usually used for 10-14 days. It is important to finish the entire dosage of the antibiotic.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:11 PM   #234
War Child

Quote:
ok here is our new (sick) cat. Her spots are so cool. She looks like an Ocicat or Spangled kitty:

Boy she's got some Bengal in her heritage, that's for sure!
Old 12-21-2005, 03:18 PM   #235
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: yeah, another cat question....

Quote:
Originally posted by Catlady

If it helps, here's the upper-resp protocol we use at the adoption program I am part of...I am sure Beth could give you her opinion also...

FELINE UPPER RESPIRATORY VIRUS PROTOCOL

There is no treatment for a virus. Therapy is focused on relieving symptoms.

Symptom/ Action Required

Sneezing, clear eye or nasal discharge, good appetite--No medication

Yellow or green eye discharge--Antibiotic eye ointment

Severe swelling or eye squinting--Needs vet evaluation.

Yellow or green nasal discharge--Oral antibiotics

Thanks Catlady. She has sneezing and yellow/green eye discharge and is already getting eye ointment 2-3 times a day. I was just concerned that even though we're treating her eyes, she's still wheezing so she's not getting any medication for the bigger problem bothering her - she can't breathe comfortably (but I haven't noticed any colored discharge from her nose). She eats and drinks though so hopefully it will all clear up now that she's in a warm home with 3 other cats as opposed to the 211 roaming in close quarters at the rescue. She's adjusted exceptionally well considering 1) she's sick 2) she was supposedly feral and 3) we have 3 other cats who aren't exactly jumping for joy.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #236
War Child

Re: Re: Re: yeah, another cat question....

Quote:

Thanks Catlady. She has sneezing and yellow/green eye discharge and is already getting eye ointment 2-3 times a day. I was just concerned that even though we're treating her eyes, she's still wheezing so she's not getting any medication for the bigger problem bothering her - she can't breathe comfortably (but I haven't noticed any colored discharge from her nose). She eats and drinks though so hopefully it will all clear up now that she's in a warm home with 3 other cats as opposed to the 211 roaming in close quarters at the rescue. She's adjusted exceptionally well considering 1) she's sick 2) she was supposedly feral and 3) we have 3 other cats who aren't exactly jumping for joy.
That's good that she's eating and everything. Just keep an eye on her, and hopefully everything will resolve without need for additional treatment. If that wheezing isn't improved within 48 hours, though, I would reccomend getting her in to see the vet so they can listen to her chest. Better safe than sorry.

If possible, it also would be best to separate her from the others until she's no longer symptomatic; it would be a pain for you guys, I'm sure, to have the other ones come down with it too...if you can't separate 'em, do keep a sharp eye on the others to ensure if they start to break with anything you're able to start treatment right away...
Old 12-21-2005, 03:48 PM   #237
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Catlady
Thank you for helping the ferals!!! This makes me happy and sad--happy b/c these kitties have a wonderful home...and sad, because it reaffirms what I already know; that probably every feral could "come around" if only there were enough people willing to spend this much time working with them, you know?

If I could help all of them I would My neighbor and I worked with an organization called the homeless cat network to trap and spay about 7 feral cats in my neighborhood last year. One got hit by a car earlier this year and the rest have gone their seperate ways. Patches and Snowflake are my regulars that actually live on my patio. I am blessed to have Patches in my life as I now think of her like a regular house cat. Yes, you could probably get through to all of them with time and patience. Snowflake is a challange though. I am not giving up on her though lol.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:29 PM   #238
Blue Crack Addict

Sicy, that is really so nice of you and your neighbor to do!
Old 12-21-2005, 10:47 PM   #239
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Roy's doing better, I think. I'm looking into a pet fountain for Christmas, for sure.

I hope all the cats with illnesses get better soon... being sick just isn't cool.

Eden has such a nice face.

As quirky as it may seem, I think that is a great capture of a great smile.

I hope her recovery goes smoothly.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:47 PM   #240
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
ok here is our new (sick) cat. Her spots are so cool. She looks like an Ocicat or Spangled kitty:

Beeeeeeautiful cat, reminds me of my own