Football or Rock & Roll? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Football or Rock & Roll?
Football 23 40.35%
Rock & Roll 34 59.65%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2006, 06:23 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by J_NP
I still dont know what the heck is soccer , is like a fight sports , inspired by old batman series , when the punchs were thrown and there was like "Soc" ?

Anyway choice 1 , give a break to u2 now
we dont know what soccer is either , we call it football.

Old 06-09-2006, 06:27 PM   #32
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by J_NP
I still dont know what the heck is soccer , is like a fight sports , inspired by old batman series , when the punchs were thrown and there was like "Soc" ?
I still don't know what football exactly is. Is it rugby union football? Is it rugby league football? Is it Australian Rules football? Is it American football? Is it Gaelic football?

See, this is why the term 'soccer' is immensely useful.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:51 PM
I'd take number two for soccer. Honestly, all they do is kick the ball back and forth across the mid-line.

Two things:

1) I've never seen U2 live.
2) I hate soccer.

So, it's a no-brainer for me.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #34
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:51 PM
You need to look it historicaly, when football was invented in England and then by accident Americans take that name for theirs game and call football soccer.I might be wrong , but i thing first there was football, then American football

Sorry bout speling errors, i come from friday drinking party
Old 06-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:51 AM
Americans did not come up with the word "soccer."
Old 06-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #36
War Child

Local Time: 05:51 PM
U2 concerts are great, but by and large predictable.

sporting events are unpredictable and can be thrilling.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:03 PM   #37
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by roy keane
You need to look it historicaly, when football was invented in England and then by accident Americans take that name for theirs game and call football soccer.I might be wrong , but i thing first there was football, then American football
Nope. To quote from Wikipedia:

The rules of football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863, and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other versions of football played at the time. The word soccer is a colloquial abbreviation of association (from assoc.) and first appeared in the 1880s. The word is sometimes credited to Charles Wreford Brown, an Oxford University student said to have been fond of shortened forms such as brekkers for breakfast and rugger for rugby football.

But let's assume soccer has the strongest historical claim to being called 'football'. Personally, I don't think it's appropriate to call ANY sport 'football', simply due to the confusion it can cause nowadays, regardless of any historical claim. I hate it when Americans call their sport 'football'. I hate it when Victorians call Aussie Rules 'football'. I hate it when my fellow New Zealanders call rugby union 'football'. It's unclear, imprecise, and can easily cause confusion. That's why I always stick to more precise names such as soccer. Everyone knows what sport is meant by 'soccer'.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-09-2006, 09:46 PM   #38
Refugee

Local Time: 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Nope. To quote from Wikipedia:

The rules of football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863, and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other versions of football played at the time. The word soccer is a colloquial abbreviation of association (from assoc.) and first appeared in the 1880s. The word is sometimes credited to Charles Wreford Brown, an Oxford University student said to have been fond of shortened forms such as brekkers for breakfast and rugger for rugby football.

But let's assume soccer has the strongest historical claim to being called 'football'. Personally, I don't think it's appropriate to call ANY sport 'football', simply due to the confusion it can cause nowadays, regardless of any historical claim. I hate it when Americans call their sport 'football'. I hate it when Victorians call Aussie Rules 'football'. I hate it when my fellow New Zealanders call rugby union 'football'. It's unclear, imprecise, and can easily cause confusion. That's why I always stick to more precise names such as soccer. Everyone knows what sport is meant by 'soccer'.
"Football" should be reserved for a game that is predominantly played by controlling a ball by the use of one's foot.

Soccer IS Football
Old 06-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #39
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:51 PM
^agree...any other sport that is called football actually predominantly uses hands...soccer is the only sport known as football that only use feet 99% if the time, except for goalkeepers and for throw-ins.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:12 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

american football was named for no apparent reason - but that doesn't mean it isn't better

(yes, the american answer)

although, if we decided to change the name, i wouldn't be against it because football doesn't make sense for it
Old 06-09-2006, 11:28 PM   #41
Blue Crack Distributor

the television rights to broadcast National Football League games... the NFL, if you will... were sold for 3.1 billion dollars per year. the annual revenue of the NFL exceeds 10 billion dollars per year, and the net worth of NFL teams exceeds 30 billion dollars.

yea... i don't think they'll be droppoing the "football" anytime soon.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:23 AM   #42
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

"Football" should be reserved for a game that is predominantly played by controlling a ball by the use of one's foot.

Soccer IS Football
Aussie Rules is a predominantly kicking based game too. You could make a case that Aussie Rules IS football.

Let's just alleviate the confusion and use widely understood terms. Soccer is a far less problematic name than football.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-10-2006, 10:26 AM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:51 PM
I don't care what it's called. Where I come from, it's perfectly acceptable to call it either football or soccer. Since Aussie Rules football and American football are incredibly unpopular in South Africa, people know what you're talking about when you say 'football.' I have no personal preference.

As for the question, I'd take the football. Just for the sheer shock of seeing South Africa in the final two.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
the television rights to broadcast National Football League games... the NFL, if you will... were sold for 3.1 billion dollars per year. the annual revenue of the NFL exceeds 10 billion dollars per year, and the net worth of NFL teams exceeds 30 billion dollars.

yea... i don't think they'll be droppoing the "football" anytime soon.
I always refer to it as the NFL anyway.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:12 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I live in America. When I talk about football, people know what I mean.

Many people on this forum live in England, for example. When they talk about football, their fellow Englishmen and women know what they mean.

Any confusion can be cleared up in about .4923048 seconds, after which the confused parties can laugh jovially and bask in their culture differences.

It's simple.