Football is the most stupid game ever!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think most people entirely miss the point of MLS. The idea when the league was created was not to compete with the older and more popular European leagues. The purpose was to increase the presence of soccer in the US by creating a league that would capitalize on the immense popularity of World Cup, played in the USA in 1994. They wanted to get Americans interested in soccer, and also give a lot of soccer-playing Americans not only a team to cheer for in their hometown, but also a chance to play professionally in their home country.

Most athletes who are multi-sport stars in high school had gone on to play something other than soccer in college, because there were fewer opportunities to play soccer in the US than there were for other sports here. Many of the best high school soccer players ended up playing football, baseball, or basketball in college in the hopes of advancing to the next level.

With Project40, players can play in the MLS immediately after high school. If they do not succeed, MLS will match any offers they would have received for college scholarships, so they can go back to school and receive a degree.

You can't compare a league like MLS, where the average salary is around $30,000, to English Premier League where many players make over $1 million. Of course there will be better players where there is a higher pay rate. The comparison is akin to apples and oranges, and holds no weight.

Indeed, soccer is more popular abroad mainly because of British, Spanish, and French imperialism, not because there is some aspect of it that is inherently better. In places where the US had more influence recently (Far East, Caribbean), baseball is more popular, as it was the biggest sport here during the early 20th century.

Anyways, I don't even see the point in arguing over which sport is better. If you like it, you like it, and if you don't well noone gives a flying fuck. Just enjoy sports for what they are and try not to make judgement on them if you don't know anything about them.

------------------
Change is the only constant

I'll say it again... American Football is for Americans.

Football is for everyone else
biggrin.gif

Foxxern,

I completely understand and acknowledge the differences between an MLS and the EPL. I just find the lack of community enthusiasm in America incredibly disheartening, as i love soccer, and wish it would catch on big in America. Especially after having watched so much of the european leagues, to have to switch back to the MLS can be a let down. I realize that this position is a poor one to take, and does not help the position of soccer in America. I know a league that was founded a few years ago has a long way to go, and I am trying to make a concerted effort to get into the league once and for all.

Im a bad American Soccer fan, I know
frown.gif

I was definitely interested in your argument regarding multiply talented sports stars in high school choosing more popular sports than soccer to pursue. I am of the opinion that soccer is picking up more in high schools, and this may improve the situation in coming years. (Although, I came from a much more soccer oriented town).

I view another problem of the American soccer situation as an issue of geography. One element of soccer developing to its fullest is the spread regionalism that effects american sports. The wideness of regions and movement of teams has developed a typical sports fan who is constantly reevaluating his options for rooting. There are, of course, those who rabidly support one team (a la me and my Chargers, no matter how badly they may do (thank god theres no chance for relegation in the NFL)), but there are a greater number of fairweather fans who will follow the sports bandwagon, a la the sudden rabid fandom of the Lakers (sorry, a sour point, as I hate, absolutely LOATHE, what that team has done to the sport of basketball). Soccer builds its fan base on the communal support of the city. Each game is such a constant build for those few points that are scored, and the success for each hard earned point is shared with the crowd. It is a much more communal balance that is developed, which works wonderfully well with the deeper segmentation of the European communities. American sports relies larger on the abstraction of point scoring, where the scoring of individual points loses its importance, but a canvasing of total points becomes the key. Teams attract followers by proving that they can score X number of points more than the other teams. The much, much narrower margins of soccer allows for a much more personal relationship between the individual fan and the point scored. One goal can swing the entire match, and mean an upset. In basketball or american football, a point loses this deeper meaning, as it is a given that more points are bound to be scored. The best analogue to soccer in america is probably baseball, which carries the closest point margins to soccer. It has developed municipal traditions that can run deep. The games can turn around at the swing of a bat. Similar communal atmospheres are developed in the spectators. Although much of the deeper meaning of baseball works differently than soccer, i see it as the closest phenomenon to soccer in Europe.

I could go on some more, but ill leave it at that for now. I think this would be best served in Lemonade Stand, as opposed to Everything you know is wrong, though.

Zone, I think most sports are hard to understand unless you are watching and can have osmeon explain what's going on.

*Stormy* Thankyou for your fantastic post! It did help to explaing a few things
smile.gif
Im going to keep watching and hopefully will get it one day, hehe.

Originally posted by Sicy:
And this is coming from someone with this in their sig?....

"Master of sexual innuendo"

"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

I think yer lost little lemon boy.

Why would I be lost??
biggrin.gif

Im Everywhere!!

------------------

"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

I love soccer(I prefer calling it football, actually) and I love rugby. I forced myself to watch the American football for a few times but I don't know why, I just can't 'get' it... Maybe I should try harder.
tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by christiana (edited 02-05-2002).]

So, I was watching Fox World again last night, and they had Scottish Premiere League on - Rangers versus Dundee. There were a lot of opportunities with amazing play from the goalies. It WAS exciting. Unfortunately, my need of sleep ruled over wathcing the last 20 minutes, so I have no idea who won.

Soccer/international football is an exciting sport (and that is an Amercian saying that).

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Sorry... I'm like many Americans. Soccer may be great to play, but it is one of the most boring things ever to watch (golf being #1 on that list).

I agree with you all the way, except the part about soccer being fun to play. We used to get forced to play it in elementary school and I nearly fell asleep standing up.
redface.gif
NFL- catch the excitement!
biggrin.gif

I would have to add that the actual game American Football is not exciting. It has no edge. The Superbowl is an exciting occasion only because TV makes it so. That's the problem with it. It has no heart or soul. It's franchise driven for God's sake! Any sport that is professionally run that way does not have any soul. Not just American Football.

Rugby Union is also deathly dull for the most part.

As is tennis.

soccer rules...football sucks
and honduras is the 2001 and FIFA team of the year!

------------------
" I can sing just like Bono, i can do that whole lemon falsetto exactly like him" -- me

"...u know how you can make people jealous by saying good stuff about you thats not even true?" - also me

Well, they ALL suck!
You hear me? They ALL suck.......

except for cricket
wink.gif

Cricket, the greatest sport on the face of the planet......
Quote, unquote...

biggrin.gif

Bless ya!
WHYWHY

AFL!!!

I think Americans would love it as well. It's easy to follow.

I loved how on the Australian coverage of the Super Bowl they showed an American interview with Darren Whatshisname who plays in the NFL, the Australian guy who used to play for West Coast in the AFL and they ask him what the difference is between AFL and NFL and he says "Well, we don't wear helmets or padding, and we don't call time out unless someone is unconcious, has to be stretchered off or might die"

Love it.

Originally posted by Lemonboy:
Calling it football but playing with your hands!!!

Hail Soccer!!!

I totally agree only here soccer is the only football and I love the game
smile.gif
"Cmon Boro Cmon Boro Cmon Boro" Well we did beat Man U the other day
biggrin.gif
but the one of the players 2 year old son choked on something straight after and died
frown.gif
it's really awful. My sympathies go out to Colin Cooper and his family.

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
I'll say it again... American Football is for Americans.

Football is for everyone else
biggrin.gif

Very very true
biggrin.gif
Totally agree with that. A game that in England can bring families and friends together to all scream at the TV or game if you are at the match and can bring grown men to tears has to be seen as a powerful thing
smile.gif
I love the game REAL FOOTBALL not with "American" or "Australian Rules" stuck in front of it just the ancient amazing game of FOOTBALL. I also enjosy playing it just not in a girls team because they don't take it seriously. Mixed teams are best if you are a girl because otherwise you have a bunch of girls wanting to play properly and another who start shouting about how the ball is coming towards them too fast and they run off
frown.gif
3 aside football is a laugh (we were playing 5 aside but 4 ppl got injured or quit lol)

Um, UV darl, have you ever seen an entire family cry when their team loses the final? Or is knocked out of the 8 due to some dimwit Victorian team?
I have to say, AFL is the best code of football, not only because like Tyler said they dont wear padding and are constantly involved in full contact or anything like that, but because it is so fast paced. What game lasts for 2 hours and only stops when, as previously said, one is about to die or fly off with the fairies?

Everyone, mark this down on your calendars. Its the Swannies year this year.

But hey, I still love my Liverpool. I will never walk alone indeed.
!

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
Um, UV darl, have you ever seen an entire family cry when their team loses the final?

Ummm,Yeah???Whats yer point???

------------------

"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

Originally posted by Lemonboy:

Ummm,Yeah???Whats yer point???

My point is you are quite the feisty lil Mung Bean. Do I really have to explain this? Soccer, or Football is not the oly game to do what she mentioned. Sheesh!

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
My point is you are quite the feisty lil Mung Bean. Do I really have to explain this? Soccer, or Football is not the oly game to do what she mentioned. Sheesh!

So it happens in Soccer to??

And I still think that Soccer should be the only sport who should be allowed to be called Football!
biggrin.gif

------------------

"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

Well football can be quite boring sometimes too (especially if you happen to have a FC Twente season ticket), but thank god last match we still have.....yeah wel, err......
streaker2.jpg

streaker3.jpg

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

Back
Top Bottom