Food Network's Next Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a Pastry Chef in training here's what I think about Food Network:

Rachel Ray drives me insane. I can't stand her knife skills and the way she chops up stuff. Take a class! She's really not all that. She needs to slow down when she speaks.

I have a different perspective on Bobby Flay than most. I don't see him as being arrogant at all. He knows his stuff and he is excited about food. I think he would be a great mentor. Plus, he is a trained Chef (as in earned a degree at a Culinary institute) unlike some of the other Food Network faces. I see him as being really enthusiastic about what he can do with food. He said something on the Next Food Network star that's been quoted around my school countless times recently "if your passion doesn't make you nervous then you're not passionate enough." We're all nervous about finishing school and finding jobs, etc. I'm obsessed with becoming a Chef. I can't wait but I'm scared shitless to actually work in a real kitchen.

I love Paula Deen. I don't care if she's not a trained Chef because she doesn't act like she is. Her mission is pretty simple: southern cooking. I think she gets her point across in every show.

Emeril.....I love him. I don't watch him too often but he was really the first Food Network star and the one that made me realize I need to be a Chef.

Sandra Lee.....she needs to move to HGTV. I can't figure out if she's showing us how to cook or coordinate your outfit with a pie.

Giada......she's got some great ideas but I feel like she's starting to repeat herself a bit. She gives some good facts about her food but I'd like to see her do more difficult items. I feel like most of her stuff is something you'd order for lunch at a cafe.

Alton....he's a wacko but like Bobby, he really knows his stuff. I've learned a lot from his Iron Chef commentary. I don't watch his shows too often though.

Mario....I can't stand him.

The Barefoot Contessa.....I like her stuff. She makes a lot of French desserts that I've made in school.

I can't think of anyone else that I watch too often. They need an actual Pastry Chef on the network with their own show. Too bad Warren Brown turned out to be such a flake. They also need to show people in the kitchen more often. I can't stand watching Rachel and Giada eat for a half hour. I think Marc Summers has unwrapped every food on earth so it's time to more his show to another time slot.

Hey, whatever happened to the Season 1 winner Guy Fieri? I noticed him pop up in some commercials right before this new season began, but i dont' know what he actually does for the network.

Also, they mentioned that this season was season 3? Did i miss season 2? I dont' remember seeing it on TV.

ultravioletluvv said:
Hey, whatever happened to the Season 1 winner Guy Fieri? I noticed him pop up in some commercials right before this new season began, but i dont' know what he actually does for the network.

Also, they mentioned that this season was season 3? Did i miss season 2? I dont' remember seeing it on TV.

Guy was actually season 2. Season 1 is 2 guys that I've never seen on the network. I think they had/have a morning show but never branched off from that. Guy has a show about diners but he's never had a show cooking before, which I find weird.

That is weird about Guy. I thought he was great on camera and had a lot of personality, but my personal fave from that season was Reggie. I still like him better than either of the two finalists this season.

Bobby Flay is :sick: He's so arrogant.

Do any of you get that David Rocco Dolce Vita (i think thats it) I freaking HATE THAT GUY. He is sooooooo arrogant, and half his recipes are like
'wow lets add pasta with tomatos and basil i've made a new fresh recipe! Dig in!' :smile:

anthony B is the shizit!

But my heart is alllllllll english :heart: Ainsley, Jamie, Rhodes, Ramsey and THE MAN, Hugh Fearnly Whittingsall!

elevated_u2_fan said:

oooh I forgot about her! I don't mind her food but god, she's this close to being Martha Stewart, talk about being pretentious!

She's ok, but let's start with her name. Iron Butterfly, anyone? :wink:

I always make jokes about what her husband is up to while she's preparing feasts for her and her friends. I'm such a bitch. :D

I think Mr Bourdain needs to make another appearance on Top Chef (wrong thread, but I DGAF).

Just kind of skimmed through this, so forgive the mistakes.

I believe Guy has a show called "Guy's Big Bites". He makes "Guy" food with some of his buddies. All of his food looks awesome. Examples are like Philly Cheesesteaks. Of course with a little flair, not just a standard sandwich. He also makes some very good alcoholic beverages. He now has his Diners and Drive Thrus that may have replaced his cooking show for now.

I used to think Flay was a jerk, but the more I watch him and his shows, he knows his stuff, and he seems like a decent guy. Just kind of rough on that first impression.

My wife is about to start culinary school in a few weeks. Should be exiting for her and me.

Culinary program at one of the community colleges here in Des Moines.

Supposed to be a decent program. I doubt she'll even use the degree for anything. She just likes cooking....but wouldn't want the hours.

BEAL said:
Culinary program at one of the community colleges here in Des Moines.

Supposed to be a decent program. I doubt she'll even use the degree for anything. She just likes cooking....but wouldn't want the hours.

I know a few people that have gone through a program in Des Moines and eventually transfered to the culinary school I attend in Minnesota. They liked it in Iowa but switched for one reason or another.

arw9797 said:
As a Pastry Chef in training here's what I think about Food Network:

Rachel Ray drives me insane. I can't stand her knife skills and the way she chops up stuff. Take a class! She's really not all that. She needs to slow down when she speaks.

I have a different perspective on Bobby Flay than most. I don't see him as being arrogant at all. He knows his stuff and he is excited about food. I think he would be a great mentor. Plus, he is a trained Chef (as in earned a degree at a Culinary institute) unlike some of the other Food Network faces. I see him as being really enthusiastic about what he can do with food. He said something on the Next Food Network star that's been quoted around my school countless times recently "if your passion doesn't make you nervous then you're not passionate enough." We're all nervous about finishing school and finding jobs, etc. I'm obsessed with becoming a Chef. I can't wait but I'm scared shitless to actually work in a real kitchen.

I love Paula Deen. I don't care if she's not a trained Chef because she doesn't act like she is. Her mission is pretty simple: southern cooking. I think she gets her point across in every show.

Emeril.....I love him. I don't watch him too often but he was really the first Food Network star and the one that made me realize I need to be a Chef.

Sandra Lee.....she needs to move to HGTV. I can't figure out if she's showing us how to cook or coordinate your outfit with a pie.

Giada......she's got some great ideas but I feel like she's starting to repeat herself a bit. She gives some good facts about her food but I'd like to see her do more difficult items. I feel like most of her stuff is something you'd order for lunch at a cafe.

Alton....he's a wacko but like Bobby, he really knows his stuff. I've learned a lot from his Iron Chef commentary. I don't watch his shows too often though.

Mario....I can't stand him.

The Barefoot Contessa.....I like her stuff. She makes a lot of French desserts that I've made in school.

I can't think of anyone else that I watch too often. They need an actual Pastry Chef on the network with their own show. Too bad Warren Brown turned out to be such a flake. They also need to show people in the kitchen more often. I can't stand watching Rachel and Giada eat for a half hour. I think Marc Summers has unwrapped every food on earth so it's time to more his show to another time slot.

This is interesting, I enjoyed reading your views on some of the current popular Food Network stars. And all the best to you in your career also. I think so long as you continue to feel nervous, as you stated Flay's comment about being nervous then things are good. It's good to have that edge of nervousness or fear, it's that added boost that drives those of us who are TRULY passionate about pursuing our calling.

I also agree with most of your views! I can't stand Alton or Mario. Giada drives me nuts and her shows seem more travel-related than about food or cooking IMO, but I can tolerate her so much better than Rachel Ray. I didn't like Flay when he first hit the networks, but the more I've watched over the years he seems to have matured and just has a different air about him, can't quite put my finger on it but I sense he really does LOVE what he does, he is completely passionate about it and he is good at what he does. Doesn't he have several popular and successful restaurants currently open? He amazes me. Emeril I think is my favorite and always will be. I'd love to be in the audience of one of his show tapings! I'd love to meet him. I miss watching Jamie from the UK and the two fat ladies, they were hysterical.

Anyway, I have to say I'm glad to see so many Interferencers are enjoying the Food Network shows and stars! :up:

good_0.JPG

My wife and I with two of this season's finalists, Adam and Aaron.

Very cool! More details? :waiting:

Aaron and Adam are both local to Philly. Aaron did a cooking demo, mostly for a group of school kids, at the Reading Terminal Market. It was open to the public and free, so we went down. Adam showed up during the Q and A, handed out t-shirts. We didn't get one. But we did get to eat a tasty empanada made by Aaron and some of the kids.

All 3 demos were very good and I was really torn about who I wanted to see win. I think I am happy tho, and I am looking forward to seeing a new face among the Food Network family. Yay Big Daddy!

Back
Top Bottom