Foo Fighters sell out...make CD available only at Best Buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
as for all the talk of sell-outs...i think maynard james keenan said it best. it's a prayer, really - just lots of dirty words. but let's not put these 'artists' on too high a pedestal. they are, after all, entertainers, and while hard work and sacrifice helped make their dreams possible, make no mistake that an equal amount of (how do you say it...) 'compromises' are made as well.
without further ado i present :

Hooker with a Penis

I met a boy wearing Vans, 501s,
and a dope beastie-tee, nipple rings, and new tattoos
that claimed that he was OGT, from '92, the first EP.
and in between sips of coke he told me
that he thought we were sellin' out,
layin' down, suckin' up to the man.

Well now I've got some advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point the finger
you should know that I'm the man,
and if I'm the man, then you're the man,
and he's the man as well
so you can point that fuckin' finger up your ass.

All you know about me
is what I've sold you, Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before
you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit, and you bought one.

So I've got some Advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point your finger You should know that I'm the man.
If I'm the fuckin' man then you're the fuckin' man as well,
So you can Point that fuckin' finger up your ass.

All you know about me
I sold out long before
you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip shit,
And you bought one.

All you read and Wear or see and Hear on TV Is a product Begging for your Fatass dirty Dollar So ... Shut up and Buy my new record Send more money Fuck you, buddy.
:wink:
awesome. just fucking awesome.
if you've made it, you've already sold out. i can live with that. can you?:wink:

dudeman said:
I met a boy wearing Vans, 501s,
and a dope beastie-tee, nipple rings, and new tattoos
that claimed that he was OGT, from '92, the first EP.
and in between sips of coke he told me
that he thought we were sellin' out,
layin' down, suckin' up to the man.

Well now I've got some advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point the finger
you should know that I'm the man,
and if I'm the man, then you're the man,
and he's the man as well
so you can point that fuckin' finger up your ass.

All you know about me
I sold out long before
you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit, and you bought one.

So I've got some Advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point your finger You should know that I'm the man.
If I'm the fuckin' man then you're the fuckin' man as well,
So you can Point that fuckin' finger up your ass.

All you know about me
I sold out long before
you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip shit,
And you bought one.

All you read and Wear or see and Hear on TV Is a product Begging for your Fatass dirty Dollar So ... Shut up and Buy my new record Send more money Fuck you, buddy.

That sums it up perfectly.:up:

How could you not respect, let alone like, the Foo Fighters?

Their albums can be inconsistent and feature some filler, but Dave Grohl is a brilliant showman who can right some of the most fulfilling tunes possible.

The title track from the In Your Honour album, is amazing...especially live!

And Generator, Aurora, Fraternity, Everlong, Hey Johnny Park, This is a Call are all timeless....

I think it's pretty sad for people to say a band has sold out merely because their CD is avaliable at a particular shop. Very sad.....

Cd's a sold in shops, it doesn't matter what ones.....

Get a life....

I like Grohl. I like the people Grohl has been affiliated with (Nirvana, Tenacious D, all the kickass metal bands from Probot, etc). I like the Foos music. I wouldn't buy a 6song EP anyway, especially not for demos, alternate versions, or bsides. I still don't even have a legit copy of U2's 1980-1990 Bsides, but that's missing the point. A 6 song ep of songs they've already released is just a novelty thing, its not a new album, its not like making a deal with best-buy is 'screwing their fans' or anything... if you want to talk about selling out, rereleasing old tracks is a 'sell out' kind of move in the first place because its pure money grab - although, selling albums commercially is a money grab too... which is why the whole notion of selling out is bogus to begin with... but since nobody here is hating on them for "selling out" and because they already didn't like them, it probably doesn't matter either way.

the whole notion of 'selling out' is irrelevant because all the bands we listen to and talk about here have 'sold out' in order to sell records. the way the business is today, bands rarely have the clout to make the music they want, the way they want to, if it's being manufactured and distributed by a label. there are all kinds of things that the label will insist on changing, and 'artists' will compromise their art to have that opportunity. sure, some bands can transcend this with success - build their own studio, start their own label. but the point is, if you want to see truly untarnished music, no corners cut, no souls sold, no constructed image (or maybe a fantastically constructed image) - then check out your local coffee house or music venue, support 'underground' music. see what the locals are doing. music started as grassroots, and it still is. we're just captivated by the much larger, much louder buisinessey side of things.
see those tool lyrics, now that's honesty. if they weren't so successful, that song never makes the album....

As per Ben Folds, he also released 3 EPs available only in indie record shops and a 10 track disc only in indie shops this summer. So... I think he tries to play both fields. ;)

yeah, ben folds is pretty good. the reality of the situation is that most of the bands given the opportunity to 'sell out' have something that makes them somehow more universally likeable, and i don't necessarily think that that's a bad thing. i love melodies, really fucking good melodies. if it wasn't for the machine that makes bands 'sell out', i'd never have heard of tool or u2 or radiohead or THE BEATLES or anyone. the big machine is like a nasty parent, presumptuous, self absorbed, but always putting enough calories on the table to keep you fatter than you need, and every once in a while...BLAMO! there's a nice, juicy steak on the table. so you feel like you probably SHOULD thank them, even though you know they don't really give a shit about you...:huh:

I dont get this whole "sell out" shit. Do you think ANY band in the world is only doing it for the love of it? Its a fucking job. Yeah sure they love it, etc, but i think someone sells out when they are not being themselves. If The Foo do a duet with The Pussycat dolls, or Dave starts hawking Ford Cars or Golf Clubs then scream from the rooftops, but until then, THEY ARE TRYING TO SELL THEIR ALBUM in a society where whorebags with no clothes sell more records then actually cool singer/songwriters and THAT is what you should be tut-tuting over! :|

dazzlingamy said:
whorebags with no clothes sell more records then actually cool singer/songwriters and THAT is what you should be tut-tuting over! :|

I just don't buy their stuff. Same way I don't buy the stuff of people who only sell at Best Buy (or similar places). I don't shop there regularly, so I don't make any special effort to go there for an "exclusive" either.

:shrug:

Bono's shades said:

Best Buy is just as lame as Target these days. I remember back in the late 1990s and there would be rows and rows and rows of nothing but CDs. Nowadays I go in there and it's one little corner of the store dedicated to CDs. They didn't even have the new Kate Bush CD last time I went in there. Screw 'em.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7528053&type=product&id=1495035

go nuts.

who the hell buys CDs anymore anyway? i haven't bought one in over a year :shrug:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i just heard oasis in an at&t commercial so i guess they're a bunch of no good fucking sell outs too

Yep. Now maybe they will just go away. :)

starsgoblue said:
Erm....didn't U2 do something similar with Target anyways? Are we supposed to hate 'em too?
actually they had a best buy only cd too...you got it when you bought the boston dvd or something and it's got three songs from the dvd

Target didn't even have the Vertigo dvd when it came out and I was there right after Christmas and when I was in that section they still didn't have it. Yet they had the Mariah Carey video collection. :barf:

iTunes. :heart: You never have to leave home, plus you can get what you want and avoid being annoyed by soccer moms at Target with their twenty kids or the wannabe punks buying whoever the wannabe punk band is at the moment at Best Buy.

intedomine said:

Please don't say that, it would wipe millions of smiles off many faces.....

Don't worry. No one in the music biz ever listens to what I want anyway. :(

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom