Foo Fighters or Nirvana?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foo Fighters or Nirvana... who do you prefer?

• Foo Fighters

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Nirvana

Votes: 33 64.7%

• Total voters

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Foo Fighters or Nirvana?

Who do you prefer? I prefer the Foos by a long shot. Sure, Nirvana had Nevermind, one of the greatest albums of all time that totally fucked up the mainstream in 1991. But Bleach, and esp. In Utero were good but not great, in my opinion. On the other hand, Grohl and co. took the Nirvana sound, added some gorgeous melodies to it while still retaining the crunching hard rock. Songs like Headwires and Aurora are pretty but still rock your socks off, something that's become trademark Foo I think. And how many bands can you think of, that have shown such consistency thru their first 4 albums? Well, here's my :up: to Dave Grohl and the boys.

foo fighters. i think grohl is even a better singer than cobain. The man is ridiculusly talented. on the foos debut album he plays every instrument on their.

the only song i like be nirvana i can barely make out

owen nolan is all we are?

lol

all and all is all we are?

not even sure about that

Nirvana by about a thousand miles. Cobain had much much much more to say through his music than Grohl does. Cobain defined a generation that grew up on the boomers' rock music, among other things. Grohl is fine, but the Foos are around just because people happen to like a little rock music now and then.

Wow, I'm kinda surprised by the posts so far considering how tight the Foo Fighters are as a band. Well... are you people looking at it in a pure 'exploded into and changed the scene forever' kinda way or comparing the abilities of both bands? Nirvana was influential for sure... hell, to say that is an understatement... but as all-round songwriters and musicians, I think Grohl and the fighters are better. :shrug:

Foo fighters.

Nirvana is overrated, I think. They ruined the past decade of music. Everyone has wanted to be the next Nirvana, or cites Nirvana as an influence, and yet the formula Nirvana had going for them was a brilliant lyricist with a decent jam band. Nirvana wasn't even the best grunge band, imho, and their popularity is only due to the industry selling them to the people (likely because of Cobain's lyrics, and the way people can relate to them; even the ones Cobain didn't want to relate to them). Nirvana never had a strategy, or a 'sound', they wrote dirty clanking rock, simple riffs with killer lyrics. The lyrics are the whole key. While I still really like Nirvana, I just can't comprehend how people can say the glorious things they do about them. They weren't exactly talented musicians in the technical sense, and if you sit around in your garage or basement riffing for 4 hours a day, every day, eventually you're going to come up with something catchy, even if you've never played an instrument before (like most of the band members).

Dave Grohl has gained an incredible technical talent in the past ten years. He does it all, now, drums, guitars, composition, lyrics. He's had the time to make that change, of course, and so that shouldn't count against Cobain... Let's face it, though, neither of them were ever going to be a Neil Peart, John Bonham, Jimi Hendrix, or Mark Knopfler. I can't say 'Foo Fighters are better cause Grohl is a better musician'. Think of all the times where people have just picked up an instrument, threw together some simple chords, and had a good time with their lyrics - The Ramones and the Clash come to mind. On the opposite side of the coin, Van Halen. All substance, no 'skill' versus all skill and no substance. I have nothing against Cobain or his accomplishments, I need to make that clear.

But, given this larger technical skill, Dave Grohl has something that Cobain never had: range. You can have a lot of fun experimenting with music. You can have a lot of fun experiencing music. In two songs that sound similar, there are subtle things going on that make them different and it's these subtleties that should be appreciated. Grohl's songs aren't supposed to delve deep into the hearts of men and evoke gut-wrenching angst, or love, or whatever. They might be superficial at best, I'm not sure if anyone is really qualified to speak on behalf of a songwriter as to what their songs mean. But for me, sometimes music needs to be detached from meaning, so you can enjoy the experience of listening, instead of condemning it based on assumptions of worth that we associate with everything... That's part of the experience of the Foo Fighters, for me, and why I like them better than Nirvana. Nirvana was musically assaultive. Foo Fighters, like them or not, are not musically assaultive, they have a very lulling quality, it draws my ears up and down, into harmony and dissonance. If I wanted to be assaulted by music, I'd listen to the Nihilist Spasm Band, or any ungodly number of high-school bands who think they're rock stars because they can turn up the gain on their amps and play 2.5 chords.

Even if the foo fighters are superficial, they write music well, which is a step in the right direction to escape the vortex of crap that has been clouding the airways for 12-15 years now. Instead of crappy songs with crappy lyrics, there's good songs with mediocre lyrics. All we need next is good songs with good lyrics, and we'll be all set.

good post, ~unforgettableFOXfire~! :up: But it's probably unfair to blame Nirvana for the rise of nu-metal. How could they have known?

for people who cant decide, just remember that Taylor, the drummer for foo fighters, played with Alanis Morrisette, so if you hate Alanis then just vote for Nirvana

im just being dumb here so relax people

Great thoughts Unforgettable foxfire...
Yes they completely ruined the music in the last 14 years, i'm with that...
But i dont even think they had brilliant lyrics imo, they were pretty good and that's it
They could never match a song like "One", which is the epitome of brilliant

Could you post your analisis on U2?
Would be fun to read your opinions
Thanks

i hate nirvana because they're overrrated, i enjoy foo fighters... not my favorite band or something, so, i voted for the Foos

Nube Gris said:
Great thoughts Unforgettable foxfire...

Could you post your analisis on U2?
Would be fun to read your opinions
Thanks

Hmm... Well, I work 6 days a week, and that would be essay-worthy and would consume a big bit of my time... I'll work on it, though. Not sure when I'll get around to posting it, but I'll work on it.

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:

Grohl's songs aren't supposed to delve deep into the hearts of men and evoke gut-wrenching angst, or love, or whatever. They might be superficial at best, I'm not sure if anyone is really qualified to speak on behalf of a songwriter as to what their songs mean. But for me, sometimes music needs to be detached from meaning, so you can enjoy the experience of listening, instead of condemning it based on assumptions of worth that we associate with everything...

Ugh, where do I begin. No offense, but that's describing the dullest music listening experience I can think of. I'm not saying that songs have to be associated with tons of meaning. I guess I'm saying that music is art. Music should be using it's instrumentation and arrangements to paint pictures with emotions. It's on this level that Nirvana is far superior to the Foos. The expression and definition of emotional state in Nirvana's music is on the elite level in rock music. BTW, lyrics are only a small part of this equation.

Music, conventionally, is a marriage of melody and lyric. A song can be a good song with bad lyrics, right? And a song with awesome lyrics can still be a bad song? Cannot songs be good without lyrics, though, as in classical music? What I meant to say about the Foo Fighters is that you could remove the lyrics from the song and have an incredible listening experience, you wouldn't really lose too much. With Nirvana, you need to keep the lyrics in there, otherwise the pleasure/appreciation from listening would disappear to a large extent. Musically, I would argue, the Foo Fighters are superior. Lyrically, Nirvana. When I say musically, I mean the music of their songs exclusively and not the song as a music+lyric whole. I find the interplay of tones and silence incredibly interesting, and I often rank lyrics as secondary to music in my listening experience. So, what I meant was, with the Foo Fighters, you can seperate the music from the lyrics and still have a good song, and still have a good listening experience. With Nirvana, you couldn't do that, as you say, it'd be a dull experience because so much of Nirvana's music owes to its lyrics and vocals.

What 'picture painting' Nirvana did, never changed... the song always remained the same, fundementally. The words used to express it, those changed, and the music used to express it, while it changed, it didn't change in any substantial way for me. It was all rehashing of the same message, with the same means. If the picture painting is disenfranchaised youth angst in assaultive composition, then yes, they paint it and they paint it well. That was the extent of their range, though. The Foos, while maybe they lack the lyrics to acomplish the same things as Nirvana, still write good music - what pictures they paint, musically, if you ignore their mediocre lyrics, differ greatly from one same over-arching message. The foos have diversity - and if this is dull, then sobeit; but it's less dull than listening to 4 albums with fundementally the same content... So maybe Nirvana had passion... I'm not sure that their expression and definition of emotional state is on an elite level; as I already said, I don't even consider Nirvana the best grunge band. With Sonic Youth, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, the Mevlins, Mudhoney, and arguably Pearl Jam in direct competition with them in the early 90s... its only because Nirvana was made the grunge flagship and pushed by the music industry that they were the biggest and had the most record sales... And while you can always make the argument, 'well, they sold more records and are therefore better, because record sales are the only quantitative measure of music quality', the Backstreet Boys and Brittney Spears and Hootie & the Blowfish would therefore be better than Metallica, the Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, Bob Marley and the Wailers, and U2.

On the subject: Freddie Mercury and Queen, to me, blow every other contemporary musician out of the water. Their composition is amongst the greatest, if not standing alone as the greatest, of all modern Western music - and, they might suffer if they're lyrics were garbage, but they arent, their lyrics are well constructed as well. Song and silence mix together beautifully, voices and instruments are arranged to create complex harmonies, each song a masterpeice in its own right. Nobody seems to talk about Freddie anymore, but people like Cobain and Grohl could only dream of being such a great songwriter.

Thats just my opinion, though.

Nirvana over Foo's
Pearl Jam over Foo's
Soundgarden over Foo's
Alice in Chains over Foo's
Temple of the Dog over Foo's
Mad Season over Foo's

Grohl drumming over Grohl singing lead
Grohl drumming over Grohl playing guitar
Grohl drumming in Nirvana over Grohl not drumming in Nirvana

:wink:

Back