Flutie to sign with Pats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bbug

Acrobat
Boston.com is saying it looks like the Pats might sign Flutie as a backup. I think this is a really dumb idea...Flutie's over 40, there's trouble everywhere he goes in the NFL, and a lot of New Englanders are still angry at him about the replacement player thing. Shouldn't they be trying to develop young quarterbacks anyway, for when Brady gets hurt/leaves/retires?

Um, most people in New England love Flutie, and we already have quite a few young QBs on the roster. Bringing in a veteran would help to mentor the young kids. And he hasn't been trouble everywhere he goes - the situation in Buffalo wasn't his fault.

The deal is done.

I grew up in RI and NH, and most people I know who are in the 40 or so age range are of the opinion that "Flutie's a scab!"

There were issues in San Diego if I remember correctly, too...I'm not sure how great a mentor he'd be.

There was an article recently in the Globe Magazine where they talked about Flutie not being that well liked in San Diego, I can't remember the details. I *think* they think he's arrogant and takes credit for too much, I'm not sure.

I think Tom Brady will make a great mentor for any other quarterback, I don't think his age is a hindrance to that. I think the fact that Doug would move from SD to New England proves he's not sane :wink:

/random Doug Flutie story/ I saw him once at a Bruce concert with Alan Thicke

Bbug said:
I grew up in RI and NH, and most people I know who are in the 40 or so age range are of the opinion that "Flutie's a scab!"

There were issues in San Diego if I remember correctly, too...I'm not sure how great a mentor he'd be.

Well, I'm in NH and in my thirties, and most people I know love the guy, and he's always been a fan favorite wherever he goes.

Fan reaction to Flutie signing on with the Pats will be largely positive, he's most remembered here for the Hail Mary against UMiami, not for being a replacement player.

Granted I may be too young (23) to recall Flutie being a scab but he is mainly revered throughout New England... The Hail Mary against the Canes and for his off the field work with autism. The guy can do almost no wrong...a couple weeks back he caught a foul ball in 4 consectutive games at Fenway. Not too shabby.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
does tom brady really need a mentor? i think he's done just fine as it is...
Flutie's not being brought in to mentor Brady(Although maybe he could work with him on footspeed), he's coming in as insurance because its obvious that Rohan Davey is not the answer at #2, and he'll help with some young guys like Cassel, who they just drafted.

Matt Cassel was getting rave reviews by the press for his minicamp performance. Perhaps he's the future #2 guy, since you're correct, Rohan Davey just doesn't look comfortable in the Patriots' system.

Back
Top Bottom