flu shots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and now this?

Exxon-Mobil Workers Got Fake Flu Shots

By WENDY BENJAMINSON, Associated Press Writer 20 minutes ago

HOUSTON - As many as 1,000 Exxon Mobil employees and 14 residents of a senior citizens home were injected with fake flu vaccine, authorities said Friday, and the owner of a home health care company was arrested.

Preliminary tests indicated the syringes were filled with purified water, U.S. Attorney Chuck Rosenberg said. And no ill effects from the shots were reported.

But Hermina Palacio, head of the Harris County health department, recommended that people who received the shots get tested for blood-borne pathogens such as the
AIDS virus and hepatitis B and C.

Exxon Mobil offered blood tests and counseling to the employees who received the shots at a health fair Oct. 19-20 at the oil company's complex of refineries and chemical plants in Baytown, just east of Houston.

Iyad Abu El Hawa, 35, was arrested Thursday. El Hawa, owner of Comfort & Caring Home Health and two other home health centers in Houston, was charged with Medicare fraud in connection with shots given to 14 elderly people at a home in LaPorte on Oct. 21.

When asked if El Hawa would be charged with giving bogus shots at the Exxon Mobil fair, prosecutors said only that their investigation is continuing.

"This is a very callous and disturbing crime," Rosenberg said. "He purposefully put at risk many, many people."

A call to Comfort & Caring was not immediately returned.

Last edited:
Mr. BAW said:
with all the people I meet, the many hands I shake, the small rooms I'm in with occassional coughing, hacking folks, I haven't missed a flu shot in 12 years....

did Mrs BAW get her injection yet?

i got these tips off an article on msn. i like the last one the best! :hmm:

No-nonsense tips

Finally, a few ideas you can use and share in the workplace to help stop the spread of flu germs:

If you know you’re sick with the flu, stay home.
Get a flu shot, which not only protects you but helps prevent contagion.
Within a day of becoming ill, ask your doctor about antiviral medications, which can shorten the episode and contain the virus.
Be especially cautious between late December and early March, the peak of flu season.
Sneeze or cough into your elbow, not into your hands.
Clean phones, doorknobs and desktops with alcohol swabs.
Throw used tissues away!
Wash your hands and face often with hot, soapy water.
During flu season, never let anyone lick your keyboard.

Just got my annual flu shot. I know that a lot of people don't get them, but I have to because of a medical condition. If I don't, I get really sick with the flu. Anyone else here has to get one?

i work with college students, so bugs in my environment spread like butta. i'm not convinced they work, seeing as how last time i got one i got the flu anyway. but...like i said, i work with college students. :shrug:

i got mine today though. p.s. faculty and staff pay more for these than the students do. :|

I used to always get the shot, and I never really got too sick, but last year I didn't get a shot and I got sicker than I've ever been. It hit me hard within about one hour and then I lay on the floor for 3 days and didn't get up, I couldn't even climb into bed. I missed a week of work and couldn't eat for 3 days, couldn't even keep water down for 2 days, it was horrible. I'll get a shot this year. :happy:

When my mum was alive I always got a flu shot since the flu could be deadly for her (she had a damaged heart), but now I skip them. I work at home and my aunt I take care of, who has down's syndrome, doesn't currently go to a sheltered workshop, so I figure our chances of getting it are fairly low.

I'll regret it if we get sick though.... :)

I'm supposed to get a flu shot every year (because I belong to a so-called medical 'risk-group'). But I haven't had the flu in years, and only get really really sick when I do get a shot. So, no flu shot for me.

:eyebrow: Well Abel since I don't like being sick, I don't want a flu shot!! I can't even remember when I was last sick, so why bother!? And I don't like needles anyway. I'd really rather drink my water, eat chix soup, and drink hot tea w/ honey&lemon....works for me!!! Oh, and don't forget your proper 8 hours rest...all this a Doc will tell you! :yes: :up:

I got my flu shot at work last week. No bad side effects except that my arm hurt for about a day or so (I had a nurse once tell me that my arm hurt so much because it had no muscle. Nice). I get the flu shot whenever I can becaue I don't want to be sick any more than normal (I have allergies that take me out of commission every once in a while). I didn't get a shot the year of the shortage, though, because I have three elderly grandparents and hated the thought of a healthier person taking away their dosage.

I got one about 10 days ago. First time ever getting one. I hate shots, but I hate getting sick more. And do to an illness diagnosed earlier this year, I am more in a risk group like January Star. But it didn't hurt & I didn't experience any side effects :shrug:

I got mine on Monday (work gave them out free this year). I've gotten one every year since college, except for the year they had the shortage.

Sometimes, I fell crappy the day after I get the shot, but not this year :shrug:.

The shot stung like :censored: though :lol:.

The shot is no guarantee that you won't get the flu, because there are different strains, but it does greatly reduce you chances of getting it.

lol @ my flu shot thread from 2005 still being around.
well, i still haven't gotten a flu shot since i first posted this thread. :wink:

After getting the shot yesterday, my arm swelled like a softball.
Hurts :sad:

But last year was the first year I didn't get it in ages and I ended up getting phenmonia. I think the flu shot also wards off other things to. I have never been that sick in my life!

Get mine tomorrow. Hopefully my rock hard arms won't break the needle. :mad:

Didn't have any problems other than a little soreness in the arm last year. Last year was the first year getting the flu shot, and since it's free, I'm gonna take advantage of it.

Only if your system kept the ID of that virus in your system....and even then you're still at risk :|

Got my shot today. I keep forgetting I had it done, so I'm whinning about my arm being sore. No one is listening to me though.

Back
Top Bottom